“Thoroughly Enjoyable”

Karma Sanctum on the Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Cookham Dean B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 5, 2006

My boyfriend and I have returned from a weekend away at The Inn on the Green. We found it absolutely splendid. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very polite receptionist. She showed us to our room which was very nice (Room No. 2). We decided to have a drink at the bar which was very cosy/relaxed.

I would recommend that you book into the restaurant if you are staying there. There only seems to be two pubs nearby where you can eat. The food in the restaurant was excellent. I would say the food was equivalent to a very nice London restaurant. Even breakfast in the morning was a culinary delight. I opted for haddock and poached egg which I would recommend. This is included in the price of the room.

Overall this was a very nice quaint hotel in a small village with very polite staff. If you want to visit somewhere I would recommend Windsor which is only about a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed August 13, 2006

Took my girlfriend here as a surprise birthday treat and proposed to her at dinner in between first and second courses ! We stayed in room 9 which is a good size and comfortable. We were given a warm welcome, food was above average (which it should be for the price) We ate outside in a type of marque and the tables are very nicely spread out, insuring privacy. The service was excellant and they even let us use the hot tub after dinner at around midnight (notice said only use until 10 p.m). Breakfast is served until 11a.m - big bonus ! Very surprised someone had written a review stating "poor breakfast" I am very picky and the coffee was superb as was the full english, the only critsism was the O.J was not up to much. Current owners leaving in Sept - lets hope the new arrivals keep up the good work.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Having booked the Inn on the Green through their website, my husband and I were very much looking forward to enjoying a romantic anniversary night. Ariving at the hotel all seemed perfect - the room was as pictured, the service was friendly and the food pleasant if not outstanding. The next morning when I cam to check out I noticed that the published rack rate was £20 less than I had paid by booking online. When I complained about this I was told that I had to pay a £20 booking fee because I had booked online as this service was not managed from the hotel. When I stated that I had called the hotel shortly after making the booking to check that this was the best rate they said that they were not allowed to disclose the site booking fee. After 10 minutes of discussion they grudgingly refunded me half the booking fee. When I phoned to complain the following week about the lack of clarity around this my complaint was dismissed and I was told to write a letter if I wanted to take it further. Let future buyers beware - needless to say, my husband and I will not be visiting again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Emmahj
Reviewed August 5, 2006

We had a great weekend here. The food was amazing and our room really cosy and tasteful but not like a big hotel. We had fun in the hot tub before dinner and the staff were really friendly and helpful. Highly recommded.

Mandy Richardson

A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed December 2, 2005

I stayed here with my boyfriend for my birthday, we had a themed room with bath in the room and it was gorgeous! The food was exceptional and the staff are so friendly, the area itself is really pretty and worth a walk around and drink in the little local pub! I'd stay here again and it's my favourite hotel in the UK so far!

Stayed: May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Berkshire, England
Reviewed October 14, 2004

Hired hotel for my birthday party with 25 pals. and had a fantastic time. The whole approach to the party was handled perfectly with attention to every detail. My cake didn't turn up and the chef made one for me on the premises - IT WAS DELICIOUS. They have an outdoor hot-tub which proved popular beyond belief with some of my friends ! The food lived up to my expectations - we had a great bash. I would highly recommend to any party goers. Note: The rooms were fab - they even have DVDs and CDs which was great for chilling out and recovering the next day after a great and well needed fry up.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2004

We had booked this hotel to celebrate our tenth anniversary. I booked the room, and dinner, by email and received a confirmation the next day. We arrived in the evening and had trouble finding the place in the dark, as it turned out because the route description included in our confirmation email had a 'left' instead of a 'right' in a crucial place. On arrival we found chaos. The hotel reception is in the restaurant area. There was staff running everywhere but we were more or less ignored for some ten minutes. In that time it became clear that there were problems. People were waiting in the bar area, clearly unhappy, there were complaints about food taking ages to arrive, confusion about orders. When we were finally attended to we were told that we did not have a table for dinner and they were fully booked. I showed a copy of the email clearly showing that we did book. The reaction was 'I don't deal with the email' - no word of apology or explanation. It then turned out that other people waiting in the bar were in exactly the same situation. We made clear that this was not acceptable which was met by a lukewarm 'we will do our very best to find you a table' - our remark that we did not really want to wait until ten for our dinner produced no reaction whatsoever. Going to another restaurant was not an option - this area is quite remote, we did not know our way around and I knew from experience that all decent restaurants in the area are booked up on Satuday
nights. If there had been any explanation (illness, flood, earthquake?) or proper apology we would have considered staying and trying to find a pub for dinner - as it stood we felt this place was a total waste of time and went back home. Luckily we live in London..

6  Thank Inebee

Been to Karma Sanctum on the Green Hotel? Share your experiences!