“Definitely a great experience”

Sanctum on the Green
Ranked #1 of 1 Cookham Dean B&B and Inns
Berkshire
“Definitely a great experience”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We booked for lunch to entertain a family member from Australia and my mother in law, who at 87 is a very discerning restaurant critic. She lived in Southern France for years, and knows about great food. Sanctum did not disappoint, although a little tricky to find from the Marlow direction. Once there, we were most impressed by the situation, décor and facilities. A Tuesday lunchtime is not going to be very busy anywhere, so we received excellent service from the single waitress, who seemed to do the bar and everything else. A choice of Bar Menu or A La Carte Menu gave plenty to consider, and we could mix and match at reasonable prices. Portions resembled Nouvelle Cuisine and were delicately served. We all had different dishes for starters and main course, and all were delicious. Deserts were equally innovative and the coffee much approved by ma-in-law. However, she agrees with a previous reviewer that there should have been chocolates with the coffee. Luckily, we have had this problem before, and we brought some with us. Our waitress promised her a small teaspoon to go with her coffee cup, but couldn't find them. Could it be there are collectors among the clientèle? Overall experience - we will definitely go there again. It was a lovely experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have just had lunch at this lovely restaurant and it was fab. it is in a fantastic setting, staff friendly attentive and knowledgeable and the food was great. The dishes were well balanced slightly different without being odd and the portion size just right. We left wanting to go back soon to taste other dishes on the menu. Only slight criticism is that I would have liked a chocolate with my coffee but that is really nit picking!! Would definitely recommend

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I used to stay in certain hotels around Heathrow area as the office is nearby. However a colleague of mine who lives near this hotel convinced me to stay there during my last business trip. With a local cap you can get for 40 pounds from the airport (25 minutes). The room were I stayed was perfect, comfortable bed, and no noise around, you feel like sleeping really in the country side. It has a nice swimming pool with the water heated and a jacuzzi. Having a bath when is raining is really nice.
Restaurant is a impressive. The chef is very young and wants to be the youngest with a michellin star. I really enjoyed.
Friendly people, they provide you everything you need and only for 90 pounds....
I am really thinking to come a weekend with my wife an enjoy the area. i walked around and is really enjoyable and lovely

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

In may 2013 the Sanctum hosted my 60th birthday party. From the outset Colin and Tina, managers of the Sanctum, were extremely helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. As a result the evening was a great success. Drinks were served in the garden and pool area, which was very atmospheric and the meal was served in a lovely marquee in the garden. Chefs Luke and Dan prepared an excellent 3 course dinner. Everyone commented on how good and inventive the food was. Afterwards we retired to the main hotel for a disco arranged by Colin which was fantastic. On every level the evening could not have been better. Some of our friends who stayed the night at the hotel for the party said the rooms were very comfortable and they enjoyed their stay. This is an excellent venue tucked away in a pretty village and yet close to Marlow and Henely on Thames. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I decided to book a table for my husband's birthday especially after seeing Luke on TV we were excited to see what the food was like. We weren't disappointed, we ended up having one of each course and each course was delicious and the puddings were especially delicious. The waiter/drinks service was both quick, polite and friendly. So much so we decided to stay for a few drinks after our meal and then ended up staying the night. The room was of good standard, clean with a modern feel. Will definitely be back again.

• Stayed May 2013
Chichester
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Good food, good beer, nice bedrooms, friendly staff and management, nice garden, nice surroundings a very nice place to stay whatever you require in my opinion. Have stayed a few times now and wouldn't stay anywhere else in the area given the choice! Don't think the menu is overpriced as the food is excellent. Breakfast is also very good! Would bring the family here for definite

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I decided to take a chance and book the Sanctum for my girlfriends birthday after reading some not so impressive reviews, however this hotel seemed to carry a reputation in high regard on the mouths of most people who have heard of it. Check is at 2pm, so I booked us a table for lunch at 1pm. The food was amazing! The best sunday roast I've ever had (my dad is a chef). The waiters and waitresses are also the hotel hosts/guests and did a great job looking after us. I was able to sign for it and put it onto the room. By the time we had finished eating, our room was ready. We checked in and were taken to our room by one of the staff.

The room.

I booked a 'Crash Pad' room for 1 night for my girlfriend and I on a sunday (perfect choice as we were the only guests). The room was much bigger than I'd thought and so was the bathroom. It came with tea and coffee making facilities, a mini-bar, digital TV with movies to purchase, a very comfortable king-size bed and 2 dressing gowns and slippers which was nice. The bathroom was pretty cool as well with a rainforest shower.

The weather wasn't too great, the pool was closed as it was quite chilly. We made our way into Marlow for dinner as the hotel only has bar food available on Sundays. We ate at the Marlow Bar & Grill (another top recommendation) and enjoyed it just as much as our Sunday lunch. Back at the hotel we spotted that there was a hot-tub. One of the staff, Nick, who needs credit for his service, told us that we were the only guests checked in and we had the whole hot-tub to ourselves! We took a bottle of champagne down with 2 glasses and enjoyed pure relaxation.

Bits to point out.

Our phone in the room didn't work, so I'm not sure if room service is available or not. Beware of the window wiper man who gave my girlfriend a scare right outside our room when he decided to clean our windows at 11-11.30am (check out is at 12pm). Fortunately she was dressed!

Other than that we both really enjoyed it and are looking forward to going back in the summer.

Perfect if you want to take your other half away for the night.

Room Tip: Room 8 overlooks the pool and garden area.