“Nice Country Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Cookham Dean B&B and Inns
Winchester
“Nice Country Hotel”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed one night on a business trip.
Very nice room, and a good dinner in the restaurant.
If you want some peace and quiet, not too far away from the city, this is a good choice.
The bedrooms are of a good size, but are accessed via an 'outside' door.
One criticism - no tea / coffee facilities in the bedroom I had.
Air conditioning was very good and the bathroom very nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ROBUKWINCHESTER
James K, Manager at Sanctum on the Green, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Rob, many thanks for your positive comments and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. May Thanks for taking he time to write on our tripadivsor.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our 2nd time to Luke's - as a chef is has to be up for lots of accolades. The food is just fantastic..relatively short menu but each dish cooked and presented perfectly..people in our party raved about the beef and the slow roast pork. A special twist is Luke or one of his chefs coming out to personally serve you and explain your dish. However waiting service really let's the place down..we arrived ahead of our table time, into te bar..but were immediately taken to te table with no option to have a drink at the bar. It took 20 minutes for the waitress to come to ask if we would like drinks..3 out of 6 drinks then not available, no Heineken on tap that night, no lime cordial and no NZSauvignon. Hmmm. Took another 10 minutes to finally get drinks on the table. Then when taking food orders..we were not offered the special..only knew about it as Luke had talked to us earlier..waitress had to disappear to find out about specials, then she asked how we would like the 8 hour slow roasted pork served...rare or medium rare???? Finally no cutlery set before the dessert arrived, so another wait involved. Get the service sorted and Lukes Dining Room will be great..food and venue definitely are.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank grimstar
James K, Manager at Sanctum on the Green, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Grimstar, I am so sorry you received such poor service on your visit last weekend. The issues you mentioned are unacceptable. I thank you for bringing them to my attention. Whilst our service standards normally operate at an incredibly nigh standard, you appear to have been let down by what was a busy night (which should not matter). All of the issues you raised will be addressed and all staff will be retrained in the correct procedures for the restaurant.

Many Thanks for bringing these matters to my attention so we can address them. I look forward to welcoming you back soon to Luke's Dining Room and Sanctum on the Green, where you will see the improvements.

Barnsley
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in July and whilst it is a very beautiful setting and lovely village the service does leave a lot to be desired ! We arrived around lunctime and the room we had originally been allocated was not ready so we were given an alternative one. We had a drink in the bar and did not see another guest. It was the Sunday of the Wimbledon final and the Grand Prix but because the hotel did not have a TV in the bar we went to our room to watch the F1. The room itself was big and light and airy but tired in general, especially the bathroom which was in the room and not seperate (althought there was a seperate toilet room). The bed was very comfy with nice feather pillows and quilt but the air conditioning didn't work.

We decided to go in search of a local pub/resturant to eat as the Sanctum restaurant was a bit atmosphere less with no-one in. On our return we used the beautiful heated pool and the hot tub which was a lovely end to a lovely day so far. The following morning we went for breakfast fairly early as we were due on an event around 11.30am. I agree with a previous reviewer that the cold buffet table was a bit laughable as it was extremely small and didn't have an awful lot of choice. we eventually got the attention of one of the very few staff and got tea and ordered our cooked food. There was nothing wrong with it but it was all just a bit lax in service and not very warm.

We left for the day in a taxi which reception organised for us but received a call 1/2 hour later from the hotel. It was the guy who had booked us in and checked us in and he informed us that was a problem with the room we had been allocated and it should have been reserved for someone else who always stays in this room. We were slightly taken a back but said that we were just about to start our event so now was a good time to discuss it however we would not be back til the hotel until 12 midnight and could we try to sort it out then. The guy agreed and said he would wait for us.

On arrival back to the hotel that evening we went to reception to try and get this resolved and was told that the guy who had been dealing with it had gone home and made a mistake on the booking, they were very sorry but they had moved us already to another room !

I was none too happy about this as I did not feel it was right to move all our personal things (not least my underwear!) when we weren't even there and had already spent a night in the room and got settled - to be moved to another room after midnight! The young man who was on reception was very apologetic and as it was late I felt it was better to deal with it in the morning but he assured us everything had been moved from our previous room.

Although the room was smaller than our first one it was actually a nicer room - not as tired and had a lovely new seperate bathroom. The following morning we were checking out and started to gather our things together and get ready - that's when we realised that all our clothes were wet !!!! Our wet swimming things which I had washed out that morning and hung over the shower curtain, had been placed on top of our clothes in our cases (obviously in the rush to move us) and had been soaking through our clothes all night - lovely !!

We decided to have some breakfast before dealing with this issue and try to get some perspective and calm down a bit. There was no-one in the restaurant and there was even less on the cold buffet table as most of it had been eaten and not replenished. It took around 10 minutes to find someone to come and take our order and when they did the girl seemed as though she had no idea where anything was or what to do at breakfast. We finally got some cereal and then our hot food arrived but the plates had not been cleared from the cereal. The girl just stood there looking at us with the plates in her hand - she really did not know what to do. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for her or just plain exasperated.

After breakfast we packed our wet things and went to check out - we were greeted by a very smiley girl who almost sang at us 'have you had a nice stay' although I felt that she knew that we weren't happy and was hoping we wouldn't complain. We explained about the room change and the wet clothes (we didn't have the heart to complain about the service and the lukewarm food) and she immediately said she understood and would ring HO, who then offered to take the cost of one night (£150) from our bill as a goodwill gesture.

We felt this was acceptable and left to travel back to Yorkshire. The setting, location, pool, hot tub and the decor of the hotel all say luxurious but if the service and the food is not very good to back this up it all feels a bit shallow. I wish them luck and hope they can sort out these problems as I am sure it will be a lovely boutique hotel if they can.

4 Thank Fahye
James K, General Manager at Sanctum on the Green, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Fahye, I cannot apologise enough for the circumstances you had during your stay. There appears to have been a catalogue of errors, miscommunication and poor choices made during your stay. I have looked into what occurred during your visit and can report that we have changed our standard operating procedures and retrained all our front of house staff accordingly.

Our Breakfast format has also changed and is now fully seated with staff serving you throughout. This prevents the 'smaller' buffet being offered when we have fewer guests in-house. A full selection of cereals, yoghurts, fresh baked pastries and of course the ubiquitous full English are now fully served at your table, regardless of what time you sit down.

I thank you for bringing these matters and issues to my attention and would like to invite you back in the future to see the improvements to both service, standards and breakfast.

Travelers are raving about these Cookham Dean hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We recently celebrated our wedding day at Sanctum on the Green and to say it was the perfect venue is an understatement. We stayed the whole weekend and were thoroughly spoilt and looked after from start to finish. Many of our guests commented on how impressed they were with the venue was and many of us are planning to return in the future! The entire team of staff were exemplary but special mention must be made to James and Chloe who we couldn't find the slightest fault with and who made sure the entire weekend passed with huge success. We literally couldn't have been happier with the whole weekend, and the food (very generous portions for a wedding breakfast) and hospitality we experienced were second to none. Personally, for everything we received I would also say that the hotel offers fantastic value for money. Thank you to everyone at Sanctum on the Green!

Room Tip: Room no 5 is amazing!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Lisa, many thanks for your feedback, I will pass on your comments to our staff. I'm glad to hear your stay was so pleasant, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

James
London
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights and found the place amazing. The staff was attentive and friendly and it was a very relaxing atmosphere.
I thought the food was excellent and well priced and for breakfast the chef cooked me something not on the menu.
I stayed in a deluxe double and was very impressed. The shower was nice and powerful and the room was well decorated.
Overall I found this to be a great stay and I will be back again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kooksy
Hi Kooksy, Many thanks for your feedback. I will pass on your comments to our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

James
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed for 1 night after our wedding reception with some other friends. The room is nice - standard boutique hotel decor with Ren products in the bathroom, but no tea / coffee facilities. The outdoor pool is also lovely and very nicely done. However, it was the service that really let the place down. My friends had ordered flowers to be in our room when we returned which didn't appear, neither did the newspapers ordered for the morning. Breakfast was a shambles, the 'cold' buffet table looked extremely sparse and sorry for itself and toast arrived with no butter or jam, then it took a further 10 minutes to get someone's attention to get some. Two hot breakfasts took 20 minutes to arrive then the third on the same table didn't come until they had finished a full 20 minutes after that (even though it was a simple bacon sarnie and was ordered at the same time!). This could be a very nice hotel in a beautiful spot, but at the prices charged the service and food really should be better.

1 Thank experience_things
Chesham
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We went on a Sunday for lunch as it was our wedding anniversary. Not only that, but we got married there 13 years previously. I had read Rayners review about the new chef and, even though it was a standard sunday lunch menu (confirmed in advance) and I thought it would be his day off, I had high hopes. The one good point was the on site manager who was very polite, and when he heard why we were there offered us a glass of bubbly. 10/10 (hence 2 stars not one). After that, everything collapsed. Service was appauling. Not rude in any way, just completely clueless. My wifes starter was soup, but she was not provided with a spoon to eat it. By the time we got someones attention to go and get one, it was luke warm. We were offered no bread, so again, we had to ask for it. When it came, it was stale. The young man waiting had the super low slung trousers and was constantly yanking them up by sticking his hands down the back of them. When my main came I almost said 'are you serious.' A standard roast beef lunch. I was told the beef would be rare, to which I said great, that's how I like it. It wasn't. Cooked right through. The roast potatoes where rubbery, and big yorkshire were dry to the point of 'dusty'. I've not had aut bessies but I bet they're better. The waitress said 'I'll go and get your vegetables'. When they arrived they were undercooked, cold, and there were so few they could easily have been put on the plate rather than sitting at the bottom of a giant bowl which remained, empty, on the table till we left. When my wife saw my veg she said 'it looks like something you'd get in an old peoples home.' Then she said 'no, I take that back, that is an insult to old peoples homes.' I would guess at maybe a tablespoon of gravy, under the two slices of beef. I did not want to start till I had asked for more. By the time I found someone to ask for some more, having almost left the table to try and find someone, my food was cold. At one point I got someones attention, and as they walked towards my table someone else stopped them and made a request, at which point she forgot all about me and ran off to sort them out!
A standard sunday lunch should not stretch a kitchen too far, especially one getting good reviews, but I am struggling to remember a worse meal.
Normaly I would say something at the time, but as it was our anniversary, and as the manager had been so nice on arrival, I decided not to. I did however send them an email on Monday, with the genuine purpose of not moaning, but informing them why I had not enjoyed it so they could possiby know where to improve. And I said this in the email. I received no response at all, not even an acknowlegement. A simple 'sorry you did not enjoy it, thanyou for taking time to give us your feedback', would have meant I would not have come here. But they couldn't even do that.
I drove passed numerous pubs on the way to the Sanctum on the Green, and my advice to you is do what I wish I had done. Stop at one of them for lunch, it will be a lot better in every way.

3 Thank Matthew P
Premier Inn Marlow Hotel
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham

Been to Sanctum on the Green? Share your experiences!