“A once in a lifetime experience i would only go to once”
Review of The Fat Duck

The Fat Duck
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Croydon, United Kingdom
“A once in a lifetime experience i would only go to once”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The fat duck was immense! Non stop eating for 4 hrs was excessive but incredibly bliss and i loved every minute.

We come to the fat duck as a family to celebrate my brother getting married and as his best man i decided to treat him to a fantastic meal prior to his wedding. As soon as we got inside i informed the Maitre D that it was celebration for his wedding and from here the fin began.
We ordered reasonably priced bottles of wine from the biggest wine book i have ever seen! It looked like a mid century novel, large and grand and leather bound. But the Sommelier was really lovely and helped us with any questions we may have had. After the advice we received we decided on two new world wines, one red and one white.

From here we started to get our food and in the middle of service the Maitre D come to our table and presented my brother with a menu signed by all the kitchen staff including the head chef on the pass Jonny Lake. This made this whole experience very memorable.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank NS1_2901

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Serbian first
New York City, New York
“Open your mind, and prepare for fun.”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were coming to London from the US for something else, but have always wanted to try the Fat Duck, so we felt fortunate to score lunch reservations for this past Thursday. Not being the "foodie" in the family, I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't really enjoy some of the more out-there courses, but I need not have worried. I realized that sometimes a person like me with an unsophisticated palate is expecting flavors they already know, but all that was needed was for me to keep an open mind and let the food grow on me. The food was an ever-changing delight, playing with texture, presentation, scent and even sound. As more of a meat lover than a fish fetishist, they were kind enough to substitute one salmon course on the menu for a melt-in-your-mouth pork belly dish - amazing! The only dish I didn't really care for was the "Sounds of the Sea" which I appreciated from an intellectual standpoint, but not from a flavor perspective. I suspect, however, that maybe because I'm not a big fish person, and particularly not a cold fish lover.

But better even than the food (really?!) was the staff. They seemed instantly capable of adapting their service style to the guests' attitudes, being more formal with some guests and more relaxed with others. I was concerned that I might be under-dressed, but I felt completely at home at all times. The staff worked together as a well-oiled machine, despite the cramped service quarters (they really need the refit), always at hand when you needed them, but never hovering or intrusive.

All in all, it was incredibly satisfying to have a long-anticipated experience live up to the expectations we had developed. This was, hands down, the most I have ever spent on a meal, so if it hadn't lived up to the dream, I would have been really disappointed. Tasty and terrific - what a relief!

They will open The Fat Duck in Melbourne in early February 2015, while the Bray location is renovated, so if you find yourself on that side of the planet, be sure to stop in. And when they get back to their refurbished nest, give the duck a big welcome home!

• Visited July 2014
Norwich, United Kingdom
“An Experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Theatre, all my senses were excited best culinary experience of my life. Everybody should put The Fat Duck on there bucket List.

Visited October 2013
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Booked in with friends to celebrate my partners 40th which took over 4 months of trying to get a Saturday evening table but certainly well worth the effort. The whole evening was fantastic and the food was fantastic, too many of the dishes were too good to single out but the balance with the recommended wines was sublime. Not something we could do very often but a must experience as a one-off if you can. Terrific

• Visited June 2014
Muscat, Oman
“Breath taking expereince”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is, hands down, the best eating experience I have ever had. Please note, that the experience is amazing, the food, however, varied. First off, there are around 13 courses, all of which are presented in a unique matter. But because of that, you will get one or two things that you don't like or that you think is average. However, the experience as a whole is the best I have ever had, hands down. Don't forget that it takes about 3-4 hours to complete the meal and that it is about a 40 minute drive outside of London.

• Visited September 2013