“Exactly what we wanted”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Binfield
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Exactly what we wanted”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Along with two other couples we stayed here for the evening after visiting Ascot races. We all found our rooms to be both clean and comfortable. The mattresses were a little firm but my wife and myself enjoyed a really good nights sleep. Contrary to other reviews we found the young lady on reception when we arrived to be friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great and the dining room while maybe quirky was actually a plus as far as we were concerned. We would definitely me more than happen to return if visiting this part of the world again.
I have to agree about the plug in air fresheners though, they were a little overpowering.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014

looked lovely when booking BUT a little disappointing on arrival.
Dated and in need of care. Check in slow. Over powering smell of PLUG IN air fresheners. Knocked on door in morning at exact check out time, to request us to leave - rather rude staff, did not get asked choice of eggs, just given full english, which was a little disappointing too.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DawnandSi

Travelers are raving about these Binfield hotels

Athens, Greece
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Once one gets over the shock of seeing a guest in the “Garden Suite” sitting watching tele in full view of every entrant through the front door, the blue disco-light electronic door-bell anthem, and a welcome the central aim of which is establish if/when you will take breakfast and to collect advance payment therefor, the first impression is of a well-intentioned conversion of what must have been a lovely Country House private home into what strives (but in my opiinon utterly fails) to be a lovely Country House hotel. (I never went beyond the ground floor, so cannot vouch for the rooms upstairs.)
I spent two very contrasting nights at this establishment.
The first night was simply abominable: there was music blaring from the house next door that had me looking at the map to see if I had mistakenly booked into a hotel adjacent to the Glastonbury Festival. It stopped at about 11pm. Then the real horrors began as the rest of the hotel guests arrived back from their post-Farnborough Airshow evenings out. I was in a garden room (one of several): the age of the property and the manner of conversion from (substantial) private home to (small) guest-house/hotel means that the walls are thin, the floorboards creak excruciatingly, and the plumbing is noisy so that, if the hotel is otherwise well-occupied (as it was on the Saturday night) being in a ground-floor bedroom is rather like being in the bilges of the Ark: constant creaking and groaning, interspersed with the unfortunate sound effects of people performing their evening ablutions and flushing the results. The couple in the room above were chatting (not loudly) but the effect in my room below was of two kazoos (contralto and baritone) buzzing madly. The rooms are Spartan, but clean and the bed is comfortable. The shower-room was again clean, and the shower efficient in the evening, but it took so long to reach heat in the morning that I ended up washing from the sink. That first night was, in brief, utterly dreadful.
So, assuming that what one seeks in a hotel room at night is peace, then – on the evidence of that first night – I would have been better off parking in a layby and kicking back in the car.
The second night (Sunday) was the antithesis. The shower was working; the hotel was quiet; the rooms adjacent and above were unoccupied; and the place was very peaceful indeed. I slept like a log – helped greatly by having found and turned off the electric air-freshener which had threatened asphyxiation the night before.
Breakfast at an additional £ 10 appears rather steep, given that the Continental version comprises simply the very simple buffet selection of cereals, etc., and a Danish pastry. If you want breakfast, go for the English which, although not cheap, is nicely prepared by the very pleasant Croatian lady cook, and will certainly keep you going well through the day.
Whilst some might afford the hotel an out by describing it as ‘quirky’ or ‘quaint’, I believe that is sparing the rod. It provides the minimum of amenities, and is clean. But if the enjoyment of one's stay is so wholly dependent on the hotel having no other guests in the immediate vicinity of one's own room, then the place is not 'quaint' - it is annoying. Quiet is better than Quirky. Were one to be able to guarantee the peace pervading on the second night of my stay, then I would have been marginally less ambivalent about a return visit. However, the first night was such as to make me very wary of ever returning, save as a last resort.

PAB Athens

Room Tip: If you ahve to go at all, go to the very top so the noise from floorboards above you is avoided.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Philip B
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Excellent accommodation for the money. Rooms had everything you would need and were clean and tidy. Bed was comfortable. A king size would have been nice but the double was fine. There were sheets rather than a duvet which was good as it was very hot and humid. The room was a comfortable temp and the windows opened wide which was a nice change to most hotels. The staff were very attentive and polite. Didn't eat there but had a couple of drinks in the garden. They were pricey but well received on a hot afternoon. Flat screen TV in the room, tea and coffee facilities and plenty of drawer and hanging space. The shower was powerful and soap and shampoo was provided. All in all a pleasant stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Warrington
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here Ascot week and it was good for that. The staff were really friendly and helpful. It has an Eastern theme so the food and decor reflects that which may not be for everyone. We had a large, clean but bit dated room and were happy with the overall deal for the price. I am sure there are fancier 4 star hotels but the prices in Ascot week reflect that. I think the four star rating is provoking some of the more negative reviews perhaps making people expect more. Our room decor/fittings were dated and needing some tlc especially the bathroom which was sort of a in "lean to" which was fine in summer but I would think even with the heaters would be not so good in winter. But overall fitted the bill for what we needed it for.

Room Tip: There is one right next to reception so noisy so don't go for that one.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2014

First impressions were good, friendly and approachable receptionist with good and precise details as regards to my stay.
Free WiFi was a big plus especial when you on a business trip , so that is a plus.

The bedroom was a good size but found I had a twin room and not a double, since I was there for only one not worth the hassle in mentioning about it. But the beds where as hard as nails , really it was like a concrete slab. Also the floorboards creaked like mad. Every step i took across that room made a noise. This really needs to be looked at.

The Shower door would not close properly , after I had my shower I had to mop the floor up .

Breakfast was lovely in the conservatory area well served and polite staff.

For the money that was paid for the room , I didn't expect much. I would say I would stay again but not in room 8 that I was in.

Clean tidy well presented and polite , make your stay more welcome. Even when I found I had ran out of toothpaste, I asked reception and they provided a small mini tube at a small cost.

Room Tip: Dont choose room 8 , creaky floor boards , shower room door doesn't shut and the noise from the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2014

TERRIBLE most disgusting place I have ever checked into - I left within 3 hours and went else where

When I arrived I was a tad shocked it doesn't look anything like its pictures. I arrived in a Bentley and the car park is full of work vans......... scene set

The smell of what ever "food" was being cooked was vile, it made me want to throw up, it was seriously dreadful so off putting

The reception, basic

The room - "an executive 4 poster" yeah right, my dogs kennel is more executive and the bed is so old it should be condemned. The pillows were down right nasty, I wouldn't even get in the bed put it that way

The shower - a joke total joke

The TV nice in 1998 ever heard of plasma screen ?

no mini bar

No ac

the flooring was dreadful

the towels old and manky

seriously the place is a tip

I left and went to the Hilton round the corner

Id love to hear a valid response given they claim to be a 4* hotel

Room Tip: yes call the Hilton and go there
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank steve b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binfield
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Travelodge Bracknell
Travelodge Bracknell
#1 of 2 in Binfield
Travelodge Bracknell Central

Been to Fines Bayliwick House? Share your experiences!