“Acceptable - But only just”

Fines Bayliwick House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Binfield
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed at the Fines Bayliwick in April 2012 as I was attending a course nearby. I booked through the internet but didn't read any of the reviews on Tripadvisor, I wish I had. The outside of the hotel gives the impression of a once grand building but is now in need of some modernisation. The interior and reception is very much old style furnishing with far eastern decor and heavy drapes with a rather dark atmosphere. If you like modern minimalist decor then this hotel is not for you. The check-in formalities were dealt with swiftly although there was no evening meal available when I arrived. I paid in advance by debit card and was asked if I wanted a breakfast for the next morning for an extra charge of £7.50. I took up the offer.

I was given a key to my room which was on the first floor up a couple of flights of stairs. It was immediately apparent while going to my room the hotel decor was rather worn. Whilst not scruffy it does require considerable refurbishment.

My room was of average size and en-suite. For £50 for the night it was acceptable. The room was warm and there were Freeview channels available although BBC1, BBC2 and some of the other channels weren't available due to a "Weak Signal". I had tea and coffee making facilities and the heating was excellent although I prefer a cool room and so switched the heating off and opened the window. My window looked out over the roof of a conservatory.

The bathroom was nice and clean but the shower controls were not working properly and keeping the heat constant was impossible. It varied between very hot and tepid. The range of toiletries provided was good.

There is free internet which is good at about 2mb download. It occasionally slows up but is not a problem.

The breakfast in the morning was the best thing during my stay. I declined an egg but the bacon, sausage, fresh tomato, mushrooms and toast was excellent. Amongst the best hotel breakfasts I have ever had. A selection of cereals, juices etc were also available.

A big problem is the noise in the rooms. On one side the man next door every few hours appeared to be praying or wailing. I could hear this as clearly as if he was in the same room as me. It was quite disconcerting. I actually made a video and posted it on youtube such was my considerable surprise. He continued periodically throughout the night. I know this isn't the hotels fault but it illustrates the paper thin walls between the rooms. The floorboards in my room creaked loudly with every step and I genuinely felt sorry for the occupants of the rooms below me.

The bed was comfortable with a firm mattress which I prefer. I could have done with another couple of pillows but that is just personal preference. An ironing board and iron is provided and kept in the wardrobe.

There is a garage about a ten minute walk away where you can buy drinks, sandwiches, pies etc should you require these during your stay.

All in all the hotel is just about acceptable but next time I will pay an extra £10-£20 in order to get a quieter room and more comfortable surroundings in a chain hotel of which there are a number nearby.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 16, 2012

This was my first visit to the Fines Bayliwick Hotel in Bracknel, and it will be my last.
I would rank this in the class of a contractors accommodation , not a 2 star hotel, on arrival I was waiting over 10 minutes to be attended to and when the lady arrived it appears she really had no idea what she was doing.
The room was tidy, but not of a standard the web site portrays, very cold and draftee. With an electrical wall mounted heater that was simply connected to an extension lead.
The restaurant gives the impression of fine dining, don’t be fooled. The food on the menu is pre-portioned, cooked and frozen then put into a microwave. And at over £12.00 for a main course that is expensive. With a limited of choice of drinks, Cans and bottles only again very expensive.
My morning shower was non existent due to no hot water; I actually left the shower running for 5 minutes but no sign of any warm water let alone hot. The result was a wash in the sink.
Unless you are stuck, then I would suggest you stay away from the Fines Bayliwick.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I have never wrote a review of a hotel before but this place is so bad it has made me. Seriously if it was on fire I would pass water to put it out!

first the minor niggles:-

Where to start I rang the door bell and was kept waiting for 8 minutes I was in disbelief.

I have a corporate AMEX card but they charge 5% extra for accepting that, it does not cost that much, so I was forced to use my personal card. I was then asked what time I was going to have breakfast and what I wanted, this is the night before I have been travelling for 5 hours I am not sure. Well if you dont tell us now then you wont get any tomorrow, i understand you have to prepare but a bit of customer service?

I got to the room and just wanted a shower, so turned on the shower no hot water. I mean what hotel has no hot water? This then prompted me to look round the bath room:-
paint pealing off the wall
stains in the toilet
smell of smoke

I ran reception who told me to give it 30 minutes wonderful! admittedly in 30 minutes the shower was indeed hot.

The annoyances:-
The floorboards in the downstairs rooms creak terrible even walking from one side of the room to the other would wake the dead.
The bed is extremely hard and pillows are uselss

The unacceptable:-
The walls are paper thin, each time next door walks around it can be heard over the TV
Next door was on a phone call to his wife and child and i could hear every word
Above me went to the toliet about 2 am and noise of the floor boards woke me on the way there and on the way back, i am not a light sleeper I had been travelling and done a full day's work so i would usually sleep through a thunder storm
Breakfast if you can call it that was disgrace

I usually stay in the Hilton which we have the same corporate rate with £78, this is daylight robbery in comparison. Unfortunately the Hilton was full so I was offered here or the travel lodge, I so wish I had taken the travel lodge! This place is no fit for a dog to stay in

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Pingu_the_penguin_84
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed at the Fines Bayliwick House for one night and i am glad it was only one night. I found the bed to be very uncomfortable and the pillows were really firm. The quilt was so thick that I got too hot with it on and too cold with it off. It was the worst nights sleep i have experienced for a long time.

The room was very basic, small portable CRT TV and a very cramped bathroom. I never had anything to eat at the hotel, so i can't comment on the food. I paid £55 for one night on a room only basis and i would say its about fair for the area, but i wouldn't pay any more than this.

Would i stay here again? I think the answer to that is a resounding no, there are plenty of places to stay in this area at a similar price, that are a lot better.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Having had my hotel cancel on me, and a big trade show in town, I was very worried at having to stay at this hotel. Basically, it was the only one that I could get a room at, without having to pay many hundreds of pounds...but beggars could not be choosers. I was pleasantly surprised-the room was clean, reasonably sized, and quite comfortable. I did not partake of breakfast or the evenong meal, so cannot comment on the food. It was a little noisy but not excessive.... I would put it on a par with a holiday inn etc. It was definately comparable with them on price!
The staff could have been a little brighter but hey, even they managed to bring me a glass of wine up to my room:)

Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Unfortunatly ive had to stay at fawlty towers for the last 3 weeks on on off ( thanks to my company)The room was very basic , smelt ,The shower went from scalding hot to cold in an instant the window is single glazed and you get a draught from it not shutting properly and the noise is terrible, a guy wheeled 2 wheelie bins past at 23.00 hrs and woke me up,also lots of traffic noise and other guest noise talking , doors etc , the room door is a panel door with asbestos stuck over the 4 panels and painted and yes you can hear everything that goes on in the corridor ,yes i have asked for a change of room but it was as small as a broom cupboard the price on the internet was was a different price to what they charged me , the room is serviced everyday but they have missed dusting the pictures for the last 10 years , the kettle take dayes to boil and must br 20 years old , the lcd tv is a old portable with a video built in ( yes that old) the volume doesnt work . The decoration around the hotel is tatty and dated , I would not even let my mother inlaw stay in this hovel. ps I was room only which is Lucky because all you can smell is curry , if i had read the reviews first I would have tried to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: book in somewher else