“Nice hotel, great food and very nice staff”

Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tankersley
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Short 1 night business trip for meetings nearby - hotel has some character even if might not be as old as it looks, really liked the rough stone window sills, even in the room. The staff everywhere were bright and cheery, friendly and helpful. Was advised to book a table for dinner in the Brasserie as it was going to be busy.....was hungry after a busy day and a fairly long drive so reserved for 6:30PM, was already quite busy - food was excellent, sautéed mushrooms to start, Steak in Ale for main course ( really tender ), Creme Brûlée for dessert.......service was fine. Breakfast the following morning was a buffet ......all the usual choices and the quality was good. This was my first visit to the area and will definitely stay at this hotel again on my next visit in a few weeks time.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage then try to get a room as close to Reception as possible, some rooms re...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HayleighParkhurst, General Manager at Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us where we were pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a few weeks time.

Hayleigh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,796)

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Well we never even stopped but thought it prudent to leave a review because its not just about the Hotel!!!

We had planned a weekend away as our daughter wanted to treat us for Christmas and we had wanted to view the hotel for a wedding venue as all our family live in the Barnsley area. So location was one of our top requests.

Well she booked it through late rooms. Cause she has been taught well to save money. Unbeknown to her it was going to be the weekend of the worst weather the midlands has had in years so we was unable to travel safely. We were not even able to get out of our village.

We are all aware of booking policies if you change your mind and don't want to go anymore. But this was not the case. We wanted to stay in the hotel as we were excited for this to be the wedding venue.

On contacting the hotel we were met with such a negative response. We could not believe their response was if you can't get here its not our fault. Which I can understand in away, but with us just wanting to reschedule for the following weekend thought it would not be a problem. We even asked if we could upgrade as this would hopefully secure our £178 booking and generate more income for the hotel. But again not interested.

Late rooms even contacted the hotel on our behalf but again they were not interested. They explained we were traveling for the opportunity to view the hotel for a possible wedding venue. But all they said was we have no record. I have a feeling if we had a amendment would not be a problem but as a wedding package is very costly we thought it prudent to book in and see how the common person was treated. Yes it seems very poorly.

We have even contacted the head office by email but they have not even had the common decency to reply.

So I have decided to send this review as you should be aware of the lack of customer service and lack of professionalism.

It is not just about clean beds and toilets. As we have a great deal of friends and family that like to travel. Will be informing them to stay clear of this hotel and chain.

Stayed: January 2013
7  Thank Jase9467
HayleighParkhurst, General Manager at Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your booking at Tankersley Manor and the disappointment you faced when you were unable to stay with us due to the bad weather in the Midlands.

Unfortunately the Laterooms.com pre-purchase booking is a discounted rate that is non refundable and non transferable.

If booked directly, on one of our flexi packages, we are happy to accept cancellation up to 12pm on the day of arrival although we were first made aware of your unexpected cancellation at 4.30pm.

Please accept our congratulations on your up and coming wedding celebrations and we’re sorry you didn’t book an appointment with our wedding planner. Good luck in your search for a venue. I am sorry that you feel this situation has not been resolved to your satisfaction.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for their New Years Eve Gala 2 night package. Upon arriving you can't help but say "what a beautiful hotel" and I had the greatest expectations for this property. It is beautiful, the front desk staff were excellent - very friendly & efficient. Be prepared if you are housed in the more modern part of the hotel - there are no lifts and you need to carry your bag up several stairs as the hallways are a bit quirky with 2 stairs up in some places or larger staircases in others as you traverse the hallways to your room. It was blowing quite the gale outside that night & the wind did come through the windows a bit - just close the curtains & tuck them up onto the window sill & you'll be fine. We were certainly warm enough even with this issue.

We ate in the restaurant - food was excellent quality but the service is a bit slow. Bar staff were young & seemed confused on how to make some drinks & very slow. It is possible they were new. There was a manager running around but when we asked for our bill because our waitress had disappeared, he said "yes" but he never brought it. We did end up going to another waitress for it & our original waitress never did reappear (assume her shift was over).

The New Years Eve gala dinner I cannot say enough good things about - it is fantastic! Champagne reception to start, we had a table for 2 which I was so happy about. I wasn't too keen on the idea of sitting at a large table of people I didn't know so this made me extremely happy & I would most definitely choose Tankersley again based on this alone - as well as the great quality of the food. It was a 5 course dinner and every piece was delivered hot, beautifully presented, fabulous taste. They had a live band for majority of the night (50's/60's music which was fun). Everyone there really enjoyed themselves.

Full buffet breakfast - good quality, they were a little behind in keeping the dishes stocked up but it was very busy.

Overall I think the hotel is great - great food & quality of accommodation. They do need to get some good management in place to work with new staff & ensure things are moving smoothly. It just seemed to be lacking in that regard.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
HayleighParkhurst, General Manager at Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review of your New Years Eve stay with us where we were delighted to read that you enjoyed our festive celebrations.

We have had a number of new team members start with us in the December period and their training is still underway, so thank you for your patience whilst dining in our Brasserie.

We do hope that you will join us for future events.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

My rating of very good is because I had a very enjoyable week-end at an organised event at the hotel. I arrived in a blizzard but the staff were already out sanding the car park. My room was extremely comfortable, in fact very warm in the January blizzards, luckily the windows do open.(not a complaint). A nice deep bath helped ease the aching bones from a very long walk in the surrounding parklands. I chose one of the cheapest meals on the brasserie menu, Tankersley Burger with chunky chips. The burger was very nice but the chips were not freshly cooked, rather limp and twice fried. The burger was £12, a tad overpriced I feel and the bar prices were quite steep. The breakfast however was first class, unlike some hotels they can cook scrambled egg and the choice was superb. What I was not prepared for was the route march to the events centre where our evening function was held as my room was in the spa section, hence the title. This was the least enjoyable part of my stay. The staff are polite, friendly and helpful. This hotel has all the facilities one could wish for a leisurely break away just be prepared for inflated prices.

Room Tip: If you are attending a conference, the lower room numbers are closer.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us where we were pleased to read that you enjoyed your weekend.

We are currently in the process of writing our new menu's for the Brasserie and Bar and we appreciate your feedback which we can act upon when considering the new content of the menu.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I thought I would give tankersley manor go for a Sundays lunch. I phoned and booked a table and on arrival was quite surprised that no one had a record of this and further more staff seemed unconcerned. Staff told us to find a table which we did. There was no explanations on how to order example do we wait for someone to take our order or do we order ourselves? We had to find our own menu and ordered at the bar. Food arrived soon enough and was okay but we waited and waited for someone to take our plate or even ask if we were okay. No one came for good 30 mins. It was our intention to order dessert and coffee but gave up and went to the bar to pay. We do not intend to come here again as the customer service was nonexistent. Further more we have a great circle if friends and family which we will tell them to avoid this place!!! To the management : sort your act out!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ganapatidavid_13
HayleighParkhurst, General Manager at Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of our Sunday Lunch where I would like to apologise for the service that you encountered on the day .

I will be holding a full investigation as to why we were so inattentive and why no record of your booking was on file.

I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service that we pride ourselves in and I do hope that you return to us in the future to demonstrate that we can get it right.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a nice enough hotel in a good location. To begin with everyone should know this was a business trip hotel - the hotel was pleasant and the staff were exceptionally friendly - everyone I spoke to was a local so it was very personal.
I had work to do, so was disappointed the room service menu was quite poor, but where they really let themselves down were the business facilities.
This review won't be relevant to everyone, but if you are a business traveller you need to be aware that the events centre is fine, but the service was awful - where this becomes relevant to all is everything is ordered through the hotel and it look an age to get lunch or any refreshments ordered.
I think the problem with their events centre is it is too dependant on the hotel, meaning it becomes quite remote.
I wanted this hotel to be so much better - I use hotels all over the UK, but unfortunately the overall experience was not great so not sure if I will be back.
Pity it really was a wasted opportunity for them

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave A

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review which I have read with great interest and concern. We are currently in the process of writing our new menu's at the hotel and would love to hear from you regarding the content that you would like to see on our in-house dining menu.

Whilst our refreshments are served from the hotel for our event centre, our conference staff are contactable through mobile phones and I am sorry this information was not passed onto you on the day to make your event run more smoothly for you.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Best hotel in the area, Linsey on the desk was most helpfull with finding out about the local area. Nothing was too much trouble for her and the team. The pool is good and wasn't too busy the week I stayed, and free wifi too. Very easy access to the M1 a little busy in the mornings (but where isn't??)

The food is top class and worth the price paid.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review where I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the Lindsay and the team to be of great help to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

kind regards

Hayleigh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tankersley
Whitley Hall Hotel
Premier Inn Sheffield/Barnsley (M1 Jct36) Hotel
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton

Been to Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels? Share your experiences!