“A nice Sunday dinner”

Ranked #58 of 345 Restaurants in Barnsley
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

The Sunday was nice, not amazing, but it only cost about £7 so you can't go wrong! Plenty of veg and mash. Had pudding too, I had Trio of chocolate which was lovely. Overall a nice Sunday dinner out! But I would recommend booking as it did get busy!!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I used to come often to this pub and it was always fantastic service and a welcoming atmosphere (once the locals got used to you). I went one day with my partner and both members of staff refused to serve us instead serving the regulars that came to the bar instead. We left in disgust and went to the Spencers Arm which was fantastic. The second time we went, we were served by a younger member of staff. She was very polite and attentive a credit to the pub. The place is very clean and the food delicious as long as it is not the older woman and the male bar person we would definitely go back

5  Thank Liz H
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I had been here many years ago and it was always good then. Since we had heard mixed views- presumably because of changing ownership. We were walking with a group of 10 friends in the area so decided to give it another go for lunch. What a pleasure.The people there where very helpful with the booking and on the day. A lovely pub with a great welcome from the staff. The choice of food was excellent for a pub and at very reasonable prices- the quality was also excellent and all our party want to return there again. The ambience and decor is what a good pub should be and the views outside are fabulous- High Hoyland is a surprise. A place to try for sure.

1  Thank Greecophile
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I ate here with family and loved it. First of all it is a little out of the way, but the views more than make up for it.

Fantastic fish and chips and mushy peas with a great atmosphere. A few pints of Barnsley bitter to wash the food down and I was done.

Next time I am in the UK I will definitely have to visit this gem.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I'm actually surprised so many people have rated this place so highly. It's in a nice location and the food is OK (perhaps overpriced), but there's not much of a selection of food on the menu. on our visit, there was absolutely no atmosphere, no music and no talking - you could literally have heard a pin drop. Staff were friendly enough, but the eating area was nothing special, just pub tables and chairs kindof crammed in, not really worthy of a top 10 restaurant in Barnsley spot.

1  Thank JoeRipp