“Poor in all respects”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Ended up here as we were advised it wa better than another Werherspoons in Barnsley. When we got there we noted most of the seating was ripped. We ordered two sharing platters to start (4 of us) and a main each. The tatters arrived and looked ok. 1 minute later all the mains arrived- asked them to take them away. Chicken strips and chicken wings soggy and undercooked. Main courses arrived- all 4 had been under the hot plate- call me strange, but I don't like hot coleslaw. All mains were poor and we all left the majority of them. We couldn't wait to leave.

Silkstonemanager, Manager at The Silkstone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit to the Silkstone, it seems on this occasion that we fell well short of our expected high standards.
The rips in the in the seating have all now been repaired
Regarding your food I am very disappointed that it was not to the standard I expect and you, I would like to take the opportunity to invite you back so we can show you that we are better than your last visit.
Many thanks for your comments
Andrew Ibbotson

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a lovely town centre pub. Yes there are a few 'Down and out people' as the previous reviewer stated, however not everyone is like that including myself. The staff are extremely friendly and always on hand if you need anything. Great priced food and drinks. I had a 14oz Aberdeen Angus steak and a pint of lager for £8.99. It was perfectly cooked and was really tasty. I visit the pub a couple of times a month with friends and its certainly one of my favorite meeting places. If you want great value for money and nice food then visit this place.

Hello
Thank you very much for your comments
We are looking forward to seeing you again in the future

Andrew

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Pub ok but full of down and outs, wouldn't advise a family meal inside or out as dirty tables and cigarette buds all over outside, toilets average but rarely lacking in toilet roll. Apparently you cannot sit outside with your dog either which is very strange for a pub with table and chairs outside but that's what they tell you. Food very average and staff not really friendly at all at the side of other bars. Won't be returning for a long time as there are a lot nicer places to visit with family, pets and friends.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to the Silkstone
With regards dogs out side the pub, this is a company policy, guide dogs however are aloud
We like to offer all customers a good experience and I believe that our staff are friendly and helpful I am however sorry that on this occasion they fell below your expected standards
I would like to take this opportunity to invite you back and give you a better experience

Many thanks for your comments
Andrew

Reviewed April 3, 2013

One of the best wetherspoons with good meal /drink deals at very reasonable prices and the meals are very tasty call in if your passing.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Second Wetherspoons establishment in the Town Centre, usually quieter than Joseph Bramah's.
the interior looks more inviting, booths along the back. comfortable low seating around a central feature. and traditional beer tables just as you enter, where you will see the regulars.
Simple but varied menu, My last visit I ordered the Gourmet Burger and a Pint, tasty and inexpensive. Cask ales on sale as you would expect in a Wetherspoons.
More Staff ! possibly, but having worked in Managed Houses in my past, appreciate that very one has a budget to work to. I expect staffing is increased greatly on the busy Town nights, when drinking overtakes eating there....
Of the two Wetherspoon establishments, I recommend this one to people looking for a pub lunch...