“Friendly, relaxed service”

La Casona
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate at la Casona last night as other plans we had made had fallen through. Usually I hate walking into a restaurant and asking for a table (years of waitressing jobs have taught me that walking in at gone 9pm is not usually smiled upon no matter what the opening times say!) but the waitress who greeted us and the host who turned out to be the owner were more than welcoming.

We were told we could sit anywhere we like as there were a few tables free by this time - great, I love picking my own seat so I can people watch - and we were served some DELICIOUS sangria in next to no time. We are relaxed, happy people and really enjoyed the atmosphere - not too formal, good music choice and level, friendly and easy going.

We ordered several thousand dishes from the tapas menu, highlights being of course the calamari (our favourite), the chorizo sausage which came with the lagoustines was divine (suspiciously they looked like tiger prawns to me, but who am I to say?) and the Spanish black pudding was also a hit with us. Oh, and the stuffed peppers in bechemel. And the bread was gorgeous and soft (did you know raisins go with alioli? Me neither, but hey do)...oh all of it was good to be honest.

The owner was charming and funny and didn't seem to mind that we were the only people left by the time we had finished our colossal meal. To be honest, we wouldn't have minded if he'd sat down and joined us for a drink.

All in all a beautiful venue (recently refurbished apparently, it does look great), attentive service and very, very delicious food. We will be visiting again!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Visited for the first time on NYE and i was really impressed. The food was amazing, we had tapas and paella which were really nice. Worth a visit.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

A long-standing favourite of ours. Always great food, always a warm welcome, always something different on the 'specials' board to try. Feels & looks authentically Spanish

1  Thank SABAJC
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Agree with dooper! Sticky tables - always! Eek!
Less than pleasant owner...sadly! Made a complaint and was annihilated and asked not to return!
Food not as good as the reasonably local available (microwaved) la tasca! Overpriced in comparison...,only so long that 'local' will allow the current owners to operate in this way!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Had a fantastic meal last night with my wife,
Full of atmosphere, service very helpful as we asked for a little guidance re the tapas, in the end they bought us a selection, very very tasty!!
Very reasonable , would highly recommend either for a romantic meal or a group occasion,
Will be back soon..