“Cracking hotel for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alma Lodge Hotel

Alma Lodge Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Stockport
London
“Cracking hotel for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Apart from a somewhat curt nightporter who didn't seem to know what was going on (we checked in around midnight)- overall the experience was excellent. Good, clean spacious room - great price (especially being the United champions league game that night). The hotel staff the following morning were so friendly and helpful. This is a little gem of a hotel 5/5

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your fantastic review. I am so pleased that you found the hotel 'great value & our rooms clean and spacious. Please consider using us again for next seasons matches we will always beat the larger chain hotels on price.
Kind regards Jill & Karl Tavini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a single night on recommendation. A disapponting 'welcome' set the scene for our stay. The room was clean, but was tired and in need of modernising. Heating was timed and a seperate electric heater was in the room and necessary. Dull decoration and intrusive 'picture frames' housed fire drill and no smoking signs. No heating in bathroom. A budget hotel that really doesn't compete with modern similar rated ones. Obviously popular but not for us.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
The owners and staff at the hotel work tirelessly to ensure every guest has a pleasant visit. Customer service is at the heart of everything we do, we would like to encourage customers to return time after time. I am sorry you felt disappointed with some aspects of your stay if you had mentioned this at the time we could have upgraded you to a superior room at no extra charge.
I would like to address some of the comments in your review. All bedroom radiators have thermostatic controls so you can adapt the heating to your personal tastes, additional portable radiators can be found in every room allowing you to have, heating on during the hours of 11am & 3.30pm and 1am & 5am. It would not be energy efficient or cost effective to heat 52 rooms 24hours a day. The bathrooms have a heated towel rail directly under the sink, this is in our opinion adequate heating for a bathroom. I am sorry the decor of the room was not to your personal taste, again l feel the superior rooms would have been much better suited to your needs. Please feel free to try us again we will upgrade you to a superior room at no extra cost.
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed in this 60 room hotel for 4 nights, Value for money, almost zero complaints.
Just if i had to mention something negative will be that breakfast during weekdays is only served till 9.30am, otherwise perfect.

Look for the Italian guy Franco in the Restaurant/Main area and he will be of great help.

Will definitely return!

Keith,
Malta

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your review. We are pleased that you found the hotel comfortable and the service from the waiting staff excellent (particularly Franco l will pass on your praises) We are glad that you felt you had great value for money and hope the Alma Lodge Hotel will be the hotel you choose when next visiting the Stockport area.
Kind regards Jill & Karl Tavini.
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Ended up at the Alma Lodge somewhat by default with the hotel that I was initially looking at having been booked up but the rates of this hotel were less expensive and it turned out to be good value for money. Was greeted with a warm welcome and given the keys to my room on the second floor; took me a while to figure out how to get into it since it's not the standard key and lock that you usually find (plus the fact that I am a little lacking in common sense). Upon entering my room and switching on the light (which, in my room, actually switched on both the main room light and the smaller one above the work desk/ table), I noticed that the one above the table next to the window kept flickering on and off which was a pain for my eyes. Had planned to drop all my stuff off and head off anyway so asked the lady at reception on my way out whether there was any chance of getting it fixed. Returned sooner than I expected 20 minutes later to find that the light was working properly again which I was pretty impressed with.

Had no problems using the free Wi-fi. Decided to go elsewhere for dinner as what they were offering at their restaurant was quite pricey - around £15.50 for a 2-course meal and £21.50 for a 3-course meal. I don't usually have 2- or 3-course meals so can't comment as to whether this represents good value-for-money or not but splashing out so much on one meal is not something I do.

The room itself was quite nice really; it was clean, sufficiently big and the single bed was comfy. There were a few dirt marks on the walls but the room was otherwise so impeccably clean and cosy that these could easily be overlooked and excused. The TV was in working order though it would have been less strain on the back had it been on a slightly elevated table. The bathroom is also quite big, with a large mirror on the door. The toilet flushes very well. The hot water takes a while - and by this, I mean a good 5-10 minutes (rather than the 'few minutes' as stated in the instructions on operating the shower) - to get going but your patience will be rewarded when the room turns into a sauna. I went from questioning their definition of 'hot' to desperately trying to turn down the temperature having turned the tap for the shower to its maximum heat level. Could have done with some rails to hang clothes and towels though since there were none.

If there was one criticism I could make about the room, it would be the thin walls as I was woken up at 3 in the morning by people talking in the corridor (the bed is right next to the door). Would be moaning about this more if I hadn't been able to get back to sleep relatively easily. Went down to breakfast at a few minutes past 8 (breakfast is served from 8am-10am at the weekend). Initially, there was no-one there which made me wonder whether I was too early but having asked at reception, I was assured that it was ready. Was greeted by a waiter who asked me whether I wanted tea or coffee and told me that it was self-service. She also told me that I could help myself to anything except the fried eggs as they were not ready yet so I helped myself to bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, scrambled eggs and tomatoes, returning for the fried egg after I had finished all that off. Could tell that it still wasn't quite fully cooked which was a tad disappointing but it still tasted great so I can't really complain.

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay and I wouldn't hesitate to go there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Alma Lodge Hotel for your recent stay in Stockport, the management and staff would like to thank you for your excellent review.
Its always lovely to receive reviews from customers who have enjoyed their stay, l will pass on your comments on to our staff.
We hope you will consider using us again on your next visit to Stockport, the same internet discount can be found on our web site and we would be more than happy to upgrade your booking to a double at no extra cost.
P.S With regards to the TVs, since your comments we have installed new LCD TVs in all the single rooms so they are no longer on the walls.
Cambridge Eng.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Notice in bedroom says the water is not for drinking. This is 2013 in England! Incredible. Don't shower unless you are very, very hot cos' there aint no hot water. The alarm is smashed (not merely inoperative but actually "smashed". I received an alarm telephone call in the early morning. Completely unrequested! Neighbouring room occupants banging about & shouting at 05.30 is not charming! Good night porter serves drinks in friendly fashion. A star in a dark cloud. Very cold bedroom - blankets supplied without a murmur! Waitresses bang everything whilst laying up and clearing other tables throughout breakfast. No, I forgot - they did not clear dirty dishes from my table - I had to do that myself. Never again.

Room Tip: First - go to another establishment - then choose a room there!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your review.
My husband and l purchased a very run down Alma Lodge Hotel in November 2000 and over the last 13 years we have spent almost £600,000 on refurbishments.
Each year an extra £30,000 is reinvested into the business for general repairs and renewals so all in all £1 million pounds has been spent to date.
Around 70% of our bedrooms have now been upgraded and we will endeavour to continue this reinvestment over the coming years.
Investing money, time and effort in staff training, customer service and refurbishments we believe will result in the continuation of a popular and well run family business.
Since buying the Alma Lodge Hotel we have almost doubled its turnover and staff levels and feel that all the managers and the staff work extremely hard to provide excellent food and service at the Alma Lodge, which is recognised by the majority of reviews posted on review sites about the Hotel.
However in your particular case we have not achieved this goal. We do realise that we do not always get it right and make mistakes for which we are prepared to apologise for and put right at the time. If you had mentioned to us you were unhappy with your single room we could have upgraded you to a double at no extra charge, where you would have found the shower mixer easier to master and the tap water portable as it is mains fed.
Customer service is at the heart of everything we do and we like to encourage  customers to return to the Hotel time after time.  If you are staying in Stockport in the future please give us another try, we will be happy to upgrade you to a Superior room.
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

For the first time in 10 years neither of us were working on valentines night so we decided to treat our selves.
We thought we'd try the very reasonably priced (£19.50) 3 course valentine dinner at the Alma Lodge.
What can I say! The starters were great and just the right amount,the steak was perfectly cooked-(according to the notoriously picky hubby!!), my lamb cutlets were cooked just right & the sweet trolley is to die for. The restaurant staff were attentive & friendly but didn't hover (very off putting at some places) and the table was prettily dressed with a valentine theme. We had a brilliant evening. It's a must try restaurant..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us of your excellent comments. It is very much appreciated and as such will be re-laid to the hotel team. I am glad you had an enjoyable valentines evening with us and that our team left you with a positive and pleasant view of the Alma Lodge Restaurant.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Alma Lodge is a pleasant place run by friendly and capable people. The common parts are lovely - a panelled seating area with a beautiful fireplace in the reception, and a large, bright restaurant. Our room was simple and clean, and breakfast was good - I asked for strong tea and got it: a rarity! We were there for a wedding and it was certainly a good venue for the party - a nice big function room and good hot fresh food, again served by pleasant and efficient staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Your views are very much appreciated, we are delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and we thank you for complimenting the Alma lodge and its hotel team.
Thank you once again for taking the time to keep us informed of our comments via TripAdvisor.