“Everything you could want from a climbing centre”

Awesome Walls Climbing Centre Stockport
Ranked #1 of 24 Fun & Games in Stockport
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Everything you could want from a climbing centre”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

After going for the second time on 29/6/14 I would like to say that I really enjoyed myself. Good atmosphere and friendly staff who are on hand to help or answer any questions. I am new to the climbing community, but know enough to say that the place has varying difficulties for all climbers. Also has facilities for different climbing styles. Weekend deals, and also weekday I think, along with a loyalty scheme, keeping clients happy. I look forward to climbing here again and meeting more people. Would highly recommend. :)

Visited June 2014
1 Thank timmah87

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great, but equipment seems a little bit naff.”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

The walls here are great, with amazingly tall walls and some interesting routes up them. However I found that a lot of the holds tend to spin which makes you not trust the holds you can be jumping too, but oh well. I'd say my main issue was with my harness, it seemed not very well maintained and very old, as did a lot of the ropes (I only climbed top ropes, no lead climbing just yet!)

However the facilities are all clean and its easily accessible, it was a fun trip!

Visited October 2013
Dave D, Owner at Awesome Walls Climbing Centre Stockport, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Hi Simon

Thanks for your kind response with regards to Awesome Walls Stockport.

I would just like to clarify that occasionally holds do spin but we do everything we possibly can to stop this and as soon as they are noted we tighten them as soon as possible. There are also numerous notices pointing this out to our customers.

With regards to the harnesses they are all logged and checked on a regular basis for health and safety reasons. You'd be surprised at how quickly a new harness can look old and tatty, the same goes with the ropes!

Please be assured that as one of the largest indoor climbing wall operators in the UK we are 100% safety first.

We're glad you had a fun trip and hope to see you back again in the near future soon.

All the best

Dave Douglas
Managing Director
Awesome Walls Climbing Centres Ltd
Liverpool/Stockport/Stoke/Sheffield/Dublin/Cork
chapel-en-le-frith
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Indoor Climbing walls & Bouldering”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Rope Race was one of the UK's first Climbing centres (second after the foundry in Sheffield) and has contributed to a wide range of kids and adults learning to love climbing.

They cater from everyone from 5 years up - for birthday parties, casual climbers through to those who want tution. My son has been climbing there for a number of years - he started in the gecko kids classes - and has learned both skills and the mental problem solving side of climbing.

What he really enjoys is that they regularly change the bouldering routes and set bouldering competitions - so that it keeps climbers challenged.

And any review wouldn't be complete without mentioning the fantastic flapjack - a delight so fantastic that even if you don't climb you might want to drop in...

Rope race runs holiday clubs, and has archery and outdoor canoeing too.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank hillygirl43
Cheshire, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Great value for money”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My youngest attended lessons here last year and loved it. Fantastic place great staff and lovely cafe. Everything you need you can hire here, so was great fof my son to 'try before you buy' hobby. Recommend to everyone, free wifi for spectators too bonus.

Visited November 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“fun”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

this is a great place for adults and family to enjoy a different way to exercise. We have taken Nephews here who loved it, something different to do and a great way to get the kids hooked on climbing.

Visited June 2013