“Very comfortable hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hexham, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed here overnight on a business trip and was impressed. It was relatively cheap for bed and breakfast. Good quality food, and the evening meal in the restaurant was lovely. It made a very pleasant change from staying in the big chain budget hotels. I would definitely stay here again and recommend you try it too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

I had the pleasure of spending two nights in this excellent hotel. The room was warm, comfortable and very well equipped. The only downside was the squeaky floor - very glad that I did not have the room underneath ;-)
The staff could have not been more helpful and friendly. The restaurant was great with a good selection of dishes to choose from.
The bar was ok but did not have any decent beer.
Free Wi-Fi was provided but I was a bit concerned that it was not encrypted at all. Fine for most things but i would not like to check my online banking using it.
All in all, a great hotel that I'll use again if I ever have to visit the area again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on a Sunday night, arriving at the hotel around 3PM. There was the sound coming from the Restaurant of a group enjoying themselves and I was told it was a 50th Birthday celebration. My colleague and I were quickly checked in and on entering my room I was pleasantly surprised to find a large room with Double & single bed, flat screen TV, large bathroom with walk in power shower, trouser press,normal tea/coffee, hot chocolate, and bottled water which was a nice touch. We made our way to the Bar and ordered drinks and snax which were served very quickly. We later enjoyed a lovely evening meal in Umberto's Restaurant in the hotel. The hotel is owned by an Italian family and the food was fabulas, we were served by to male waiters with dicky bows & cumberbands, very old fashioned these days but nothing was too much trouble. The background music in the Restaurant was just up our street 60/70's so that gives our age away. I had a good nights sleep, which is unusual for me, I like my own bed at home too much. Breakfast was a typical English breakfast, but had porridge to start as well as cerials and fruit juices. The Fried Breakfast was cooked to order and was a perfect start to our working day. Looking forward to staying here again, next time I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

My daughter and I were offered accommodation in the Annexe of the Wycliffe - a property across the road from the main hotel. We had 2 huge bedrooms, each with TV, and a lovely big bathroom. We each had space and privacy and a comfy bed. The staff were very obliging, there were plenty of fluffy towels, and the price made it an absolute bargain. We had to walk the 20 or so paces across the road for breakfast, but it was well worth it for the fresh pot of coffee and hot food cooked to order. A bonus was the bus stop right across the road for easy access into Stockport. Free wi-fi was not available in the rooms, but could be accessed in the main hotel. The front room may have too much traffic noise for some, but it didn't bother me. Next time we are in the area we will definitely be booking in here again.

Room Tip: For extra space the Annexe is a great option
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NancyADL
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

We stayed and dined at the Wycliffe on my parents' recommendation. From the very start the attitude of the staff is among the best I have experienced. The room was spacious, clean and the shower great contrary to another review. The beds were a little firm if we were to be critical. I'm never sure about dining in a hotel but our Saturday evening dispelled any concern. The service was friendly and attentive and the quality was excellent. The menu clealry built on local speciality and managed to bridge taste ranges young and old. Would definitely stay here again on a family trip.....just with a softer bed please!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank awoolf61
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

I stayed at the annexe belonging to the wycliffe, The room was clean and spacious ,During our stay my mother had a fall no bodys fault , The staff were so caring the went above and beyond what i expected, they made sure mum stay was comfortable, I cant thank them enough and i would recommend this hotel to anyone ,The staff are friendly and nothing is to much trouble for them .
whenever i have to go to stockport there is no question of where i will stay it will be the wycliffe everytime .

• Stayed November 2010
Knutsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

I have stayed at the Wycliffe Hotel with my husband on several occasions, attending various events including their gourment evening, 5 courses with selected wines and a talk from a wine expert, along with dinner dances all with excellent service and value for money. There is a good selection of both english and italian food on the menu, their home made desserts are to die for! and I would love to see more of traditional italian/mediterranean food.
The rooms are always comfortable and clean with all the facilities you would expect, with friendly and attentive staff, always on hand.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple