“Good hotel but lacking atmosphere”

Bredbury Hall Hotel
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Stockport
Scotland
“Good hotel but lacking atmosphere”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stayed 1 night at this hotel midweek while attending a course in Cheadle. The reception staff were polite but rather formal. There had been a mix up with my booking online. I cancelled the first one as I had made a mistake with the date then rebooked. On arrival I was told I had cancelled and there was no booking! Fortunately they had lots of rooms and there was no problem getting a room at the same price. The hotel is in a peaceful location but close to the M60. The bedroom was quiet and very spacious but had only one armchair and no sofa. The decor was old fashioned but the bed was comfortable. The ensuite left a lot to be desired....a power shower over the bath but no shower curtain meant the floor got soaked. The breakfast was plentiful but the full English was a bit greasy. I got the impression the hotel was mainly for weddings and conferences. Although there was a nice bar and restaurant there were no staff around and drinks had to be ordered at the reception. This could be a lovely hotel but it needs some updating and it lacks atmosphere.

Room Tip: From what I saw all the rooms were similar. Perhaps some have been updated/redecorated more recently...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2014

while the decor of the hotel was a little dated, we couldnt fault the hotel in any way, room was spotless, all the meals we had in hotel were gorgeous, the staff were really friendly and helpful and we were never disturbed by noise, we attended the same wedding as someone on here with negative review and he was just trying to get a refund, his room was fine. i would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: we stayed in a room on top floor to the back of the hotel so were never disturbed by the bar area.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Karen W
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my partner for 2 nights for a wedding, our room was dusty in places, there was dirt on the back of the shower door, the shower head was dirty, gressy breakfast, not worth the month, no wonder it nearly shut down

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Hotash2013

Travelers are raving about these Stockport hotels

Manchester
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Myself and my partner stayed for one night at the hotel and I would never return.
The hotel room was dated and dirty. The staff were rude and the whole atmosphere was reminiscent of an 18-30s holiday. Bouncers, teenagers, screaming and swearing until 3am. This is not the place for a lovely stay in what could be a cracking hotel. I would've complained but queue for that was so long I didn't bother. My advice - avoid at all costs.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank E_v_n12
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We were staying here to attend a wedding and were very dubious of what our night might entail due to other reviews. Based on this we asked for a quiet room, the staff were happy to accomodate this and we were given one right at the end of a corridor and it was indeed quiet so no complaints there. The hotel is nice but very dated! Rooms are big but furniture old and dusty. But for £49 was fine. Breakfast was good. All in all i was happy with Bredbury Hall and would go back again. Its a shame its in administration, it needs someone to inject some cash in it really. We didnt find the bouncers an issue at all, and other guests were also fine. The nightclub is fun so worth a visit. I think the fact we were part of a wedding might have changed things tho ie they might have a floor for wedding guests and a floor for clubbers. But overall our experience was good!

Stayed August 2014
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We were met by 3 large bouncers on the doorway to the hotel who enquired whether we had any alcohol in our luggage. I said yes,one of the bouncers then told me to go put the alcohol back in my car. I asked if I could leave my large heavy bag with him he said yes cause I know what you girls are like.I booked the hotel via a wowcher deal to celebrate my 40th Birthday with my friend. I did not expect to be treated like a deviant teenager and felt completely humiliated walking the distance back to my car. The alcohol in my back was a bottle of champagne my friend had bought me for my birthday! I rejoined my friend we then had to queue to be booked in where at the reception emphasis was placed on the fact we had booked via a 'wowcher'. I noticed the time which was now 6.30pm and enquired if it would be possible to change our dinner reservation time at 7pm to a slightly later time in order to change for dinner I was advised that dinner was booked solid but that the receptionist would ring our room to advise if she could change the time. No phonecall appeared! We were seated at dinner right in front of the kitchen doors with constant foot traffic of staff in and out and the doors slamming. I requested to be moved due to the noise and foot traffic this request was met with disdain, in fact we were moved by a waitress who joked that she would be sending the brass band over shortly ! Hardly courteous behaviour ! We noticed while dining that the restaurant was practically empty which was strange considering it was meant to be booked solid! After eating we retired to the downstairs bar to order a drink and relax to catch up and have a chat this was made impossible by bar staff and bouncers joking throwing bar mats at each other across the room. We felt totally uncomfortable and decided not to enter the night club and instead have an early night. I had stayed at the hotel 4 years earlier and wanted to show my friend the nightclub this was the whole reason we booked the hotel via the wowcher deal.
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel of a lower class for booking via wowcher this attitude completely ruined my birthday night away we had been looking forward to. I have since complained to the manager who has not replied. This place has literally turned into a cattle market not classy at all.

• Stayed July 2014
21 Thank Jillypie2
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

My wife has stayed over at Bredbury Hall quite a few times now to visit the Night Club there with her friends. She continues to keep going back as she loves it there so much. It has everything under one roof which includes a restaraunt, various bars, a night club and a hotel to sleep over instead of having to worry about getting a taxi home.

I saw an offer recently with Wowcher that included a night's stay with breakfast, a three course meal and entry to the night club for 2 people. Wow amazing value for money. The only problem is that I had no money to book it and by the time that I had money to book it, about three days later, it was sold out. I was absolutely gutted but I managed to get the same offer for both of us for £89 which is still excellent value for money.

On first entry to Bredbury Hall by car it is really nice. It feels like that you are in the middle of the countryside, very peaceful and tranquil with a small lake outside the main entrance with water sprinklers. It was. Very good first impression.

On checking in at reception it was quite busy as a mini bus of people has just arrived as it was on a Friday evening and was a busy day being the start of the weekend and all. We were happy to wait and got the key card to our room. After we were told a bit about the place and shown to our room, off we went.
Wow what a big place it is. Our room was right at the back of the hotel furthest away from the reataraunt and nightclub which was fine as it was lovely and quiet. On the way to the room we had to walk down a long hall which was very well kept, if a little dated but that was fine as it was all clean and tidy.

We booked a deluxe room which was very nice and spacious indeed. It didn't have a jacuzzi bath but it did have a nice big bath that I telly enjoyed using.

Again the room is a little dated but well looked after and clean and tidy.

The tv provided was fairly modern and was a flat screen. I was most impressed with the selection of
channels on offer, it probably has the most that I have ever come across in a hotel.

There was a kettle to make hot drinks which was nice. A little bit more of milk would of been nice but we still managed to make a brew.

The bed was very comfy and we had a good nights sleep.

The only bad points that I can really make of our stay in the room was that because we were so far away from the main reception the wifi signal was very very weak if non existent. The outside window was a bit dirty and could have done with a clean and the room was too hot and had no access to a fan. All
in all though we both had a good nights sleep and was happy with the room.

Moving on to the restaraunt. We had a three course meal as part of the package that we brought. Restaraunt was well looke after and service was good. We both had melon balls which were very nice, although you could tell they were from the freezer. For my main course I had a roast which was my favourite dish, all cooked very nice along with the vegetables that were cooked well. My wife had a chicken dish that was very nice as well. For desert my wife had a fruit crumble which she didn't really enjoy as the custard didn't seem that fresh. I went for the profiteroles that were very nice apart from a soup like chocolate sauce that out me off finishing the desert. All in all not a perfect meal but nice enough. I think that get need to work on their deserts and perhaps the starters. The table has candlelight that was nice and a jug of water was provided that was a nice touch too.

After we had finished our food we went to sit in the bar nearest to the main reception for a drink or two. I had a cider and my wife asked for a medium wine but it seemed a bit dry.

They had a bit of a selection of beers and ciders but not as much as I would have liked. Itv would be nice to have a few real Ales on offer. Also there seemed to be mostly dry wines for sale and not much of a selection of medium or sweet wines as my wife will only drink medium wines.

Between 8-10 there is a happy hour for woman when all drinks of wine are half price which was good.

After a drink at the bar and a drink at the bar nearest to the restaraunt, we made our way down to the clubs bat for a monster can each and a shot which was a good start. We then made our way through a tunnel which leads to the club. Was really nice in there and we has a good time dancing and drinking. I thought 3.50 each for a shot each was a little expensive but at the end of a day it was a club. They also has a cocktail bar that my wife loves. Drinks are nice although a little pricey at £6 a cocktail. A happy hour on those would be nice.

All in all we had a fab time in the club.

Next morning I has breakfast on my own as the wife was feeling a little delicate. I was most impressed.
I was offered tea or coffee and toast and then there was a help yourself buffet style hot and cold breakfasts that was very good indeed and highly recommended. The hot food was piping hot.
I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast there.

Good Points about Bredbury Hall:

Good value for money.
Spacious and comfy Rooms.
Good breakfast
Nice Restaraunt.
Good club and bars.

Bad points:

A little bit dated everywhere.
Too hot everywhere, air con needed.
Poor starters and deserts in the restaraunt.
Expensive drinks in the night club.

My wife has recently visited again with her wife and this time set up a tab at reception as the cash machine where we live was out of order. You have go use a debit card to leave a pre authorised £100 which is refunded on check out after you have paid your bar tab and nights stay.

Apparently you are told that the £100 refund can take between 7-10 days to go back in your account depending on your bank which doesn't sound right at all and my wife wasn't informed. We are still awaiting the refund 3 dad later.

My wife had a pork sandwhich from
the takeaway bar after the night club shut. 2-3 hours later she was being sick and had the runs and was up all night with it. I reported this to the hotel but they mentioned that it couldn't be good poisning as it hadn't been a long enough period of time. My wife was for and healthy before she had the sandwich. Yes she had plenty to drink but she had sickness and the runs.

All in all we had a great time, very few complaints. I highly recommend the place and we will be back again soon.

Keep up the good work!!!

Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Holiday Inn Express Stockport
#51 of 118 in Manchester
Didsbury House
Didsbury House
#3 of 118 in Manchester

Been to Bredbury Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!