“A Good Night Out!”

Bredbury Hall Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Stockport
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A group of three couples decided to have a pre-Xmas night out. We booked a package at Bredbury Hall for £109 per couple B&B & evening meal & entrance into the night club! What a bargain, though i dont think any of us were really expecting anything great!
However, we all received a very nice welcome on arrival and we were all very impressed with our rooms. They were v spacious and clean, maybe a tad dated, but then that is the style of the hotel. Only slight negative, i was a little put off by the number of bouncers at the door of the hotel - i think they have had trouble there in the past, and obviously keep it under check, but a little daunting if you are not used to that sort of place!
We had a very good meal with excellent service. Wine and champagne was half price 8pm - 10pm. After the meal, we went to the night club and had a fantastic night. There was a good mix of music and we danced until the end - 2.30am (i think!!) The level of music was too loud for one couple but the rest of us really enjoyed ourselves! Never danced so much for years!
Bredbury Hall always had abit of a reputation of being abit of a 'pick-up joint' and i'm sure it probably is, as quite a lot of singles of both sexes!
As the club came to a close, we all wondered into the residents' bar and had some wonderful beef sandwiches! Loads of lovely, tender beef!
At the weekend, breakfast is til 11am (v thoughtful!) and we wondered down about 10am. A wonderful buffet for the cereals, breads, fruit, juices. They take your order for the cooked breakfast and this is served promptly and nice and hot!
We could not fault Bredbury Hall at all and we will be going back!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JAGUAR088
Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed November 4, 2011

Having read some of the reviews my expectations were not high but I was pleasantly surprised. I booked a standard room on Wednesday night. It was a bit dated in terms of decor (in fact the whole placeis) but the room was well appointed, clean - and huge. It overlooked a stream and could not have been quieter . The staff was efficient, friendly and smart going out of their way to provide additional help and directions. Took dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Prices much on a par with similar establishments, The menu's descriptions of the food more imaginative than the food itself - but it was good. Wine list well priced and balanced .The restaurant was cosy and comforable. Service was just right. The bar service too was engaging and cheerful. Another big plus is free and convenient parking. I have already recommended to others and will stay here again if in the area as it is a very good hotel and exceptional value for money.

Room Tip: rooms adjacent to stream v quiet
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Ricardo091
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed at the hotel using a living social deal and decided to go when it was our wedding anniversary and my sister and brother in law also stayed on the same deal. The hotel upgraded our room to a luxury double when they realised it was our wedding anniversary and all the staff during the arrival and check in process were very friendly and polite. The room was in a nice location and quiet, it was a fairly hot day so would have been nice to have air condititoning in the room, however given the style of the hotel etc we can undertstand why it didnt.

We had some drinks in the bar before going through for our meal and free bottle of wine, the restaurant was lovely and the pianist made it a lovely setting and the staff again was very attentive. We followed the meal by a couple of drinks in the night club where it was a great setting with a mixture of all ages and mix of various styles of music. Being an hotel guest you get free entrance to the club saving you £10pp.

We slept very well and found the bed to be quite comfy and would deffinately stay at this hotel again, especially given the quality of the restaurant and night club being attached.

The strict dress code should actually be common sense and having it in place makes it a much nicer setting. Hopefully they will do more deals again on Living Social! :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Janbo25
Reviewed October 31, 2011

In my opinion this hotel is just suited for business people and not for couples, we stayed one night in a luxury double (thank goodness we didn,t book a standard room), the room was large but very tired, the bathroom was seriously in need of some updating lots of issues here, the bed very hard and uncomfortable. We were given a bottle of champagne to take with us to celebrate our anniversary and requested a bucket of ice and two glasses, we were told by reception that only drink bought at the hotel could be consumed on the premises but we use the plastic cups in the bathroom!! We have never experienced this in any other hotel in this country. Didn,t like the bar area with snooker tables in the background and people eating their evening meal at the bar, not the environemnt to have have a nice quiet drink with your partner before dinner. Can't understand the reviews about strict dress code - whilst we were there there were men eating in the dining room in jeans, teeshirts and trainers. Evening meal generally ok. Will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

After booking this hotel to go and celebrate my birthday I was quiet looking forward to it, new dress new shoes, very expensive and very smart. Due to go on the Saturday, on Friday evening, early hours Saturday morning I received a phone call from bred bury hall reception advising me that there was a strict dress code and a very strict tattoo rule as well, I told them that I had a fairy tattoo on my back and was told that I would not be allowed entry to the bar restaurant or nightclub, this only applies on a fri and sat night. This is total discrimination, and I asked to cancel my booking for which they charged me. The manager was very un helpful and basically said don't bother coming. I have since taken this matter further and received my money back. But just want this as a warning to anyone planning to go who has tattoos.

• Stayed: October 2011
8  Thank Racey66
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is a place that should not disappoint, but unfortunately, in parts, it does!! The reason behind this is simply down to who is dealing with you. Plain luck of the draw.

Entering the grounds is pleasing and fills you with a sense of anticipation; winding drive-in, past an existing part of the original bulding I believe dates back to the 16th century, fountain features and plenty of plantation really does set the scene.

There's a tail-lift next to the stairs for wheelchair access, however, once at the top, you have to reach over and unlatch the gate on the other side. If you are seated in a wheelchair, you may need assistance so this is not well thought out. Once inside, not sure where you would go as there's split levels and a number of stairs to negotiate.

My arrival was greeted by a rude and indifferent receptionist who spoke AT you. No offer to help with luggage. Bear in mind, from reception, there a number of stairs to climb down, so with luggage, this could prove difficult The lift was a long way away (say about 180 yards from reception along corridors) rather than close by.

The interior is spacious and well maintained. I could see opposite the large reception area, the 6ft snooker tables and bar area with comfy chairs etc. During the evening, when going for dinner, you pass reception back out into the lobby area of the entrance / exit in order to reach the dining area via a sort of hidden corridor. This is surprisingly blocked by really burly, hefty looking bouncers who just stared and said nothing, giving off a rather unsettling feeling. Had to give names to them when they eventually did speak, ushered into the hidden corridor to emerge into a sort of semi blacked-out check-in area, where names were given once more and finally ushered into the dining reception area, where yes, names were provided for a 3rd time. Glad to say that the dining area did not disappoint, well laid out, buzzing atmosphere, piano playing, service just fine, food great!

The shower dial was faulty and reported to reception. The receptionist shouted that 'it did work'. I asked if someone would mind taking a look whilst going for dinner. After dinner, I checked the shower dial and it still wasn't working - had to ring down again and seems I got the same receptionist with the same attitude shouting that I 'was doing it wrong'. The maintenance man who came up was gentle, polite and said he'd had a look previously and sorted it out earlier but when he tried to turn on the shower, found that it didn't work again. Did get it working at last and couldn't have been nicer.

Later rung to ask reception for an extended stay - got a great person this time, warm, efficient and friendly - made arrangements and that was that, until the following morning when reception called to ask what time was I leaving and then repeated in a shocked tone the time provided (good job I took the name and time of the request who said she would note it on the computer.... so don't know what happended there).

Received room service breakfast the following morning and the girls arrived placing the tray on the bed, rather than clearing the surfaces to place the tray upon. Lacked professional polish and seemed rather immature.

All in all, the grounds and buildings exude a sort of expectant luxurious greeting from staff and service levels, however this belies an element of concealed 'roughness' behind this facade. It's in the tone, behaviour and general demeanour of its staff that's the biggest let-down (not all of them, just 'too many' of them) and this evitably leads to a feeling of slight self-consciousness and discomfort.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We are 2 couples travelling to Bredbury Hall on the Living Social offer, we have just returned today 22/10/11...I thought I must write a review after reading all the bad reviews before we went...I can only believe that the angry reviews where from guests who never adhered to the dress code and decided to write a bad review ! I can only comment on our experience...we are all aged between 48 & 55, when we arrived to the hotel which is set in pretty grounds we checked in..the check in was simple and polite and off we went to our spacious clean very comfortable rooms (324 & 326) the rooms had every thing you would need and more.. We went down to the bar for an afternoon beer and a game of snooker on one of 2 large tables tucked away at the back of the bar (£3 per hour) ..the bar area is very pleasant with comfy leather seating, with plenty of guests coming and going...we then returned to our room to get ready for our 8pm meal..our table was very romantic with silver service, candles etc the setting was very upmarket..we enjoyed a 3 course meal served very well ..the staff always on hand and curteous...a free bottle of wine per couple was also available..please note..there where no extra payments for steak or other items on the menu...after the wonderful meal we ventured into the bar before having a few hours in the night club..at the bar we where informed at 9.50pm by the nice bar staff that on Fridays, wine and fizz is half price before 10pm ..so a bottle of preseco at £11 for each of us was the order of the day ! We took these through to the night club with no problem..the club is free for guests (should be £10) the club was great, playing music both old and new..lots of areas to sit and chill yet be in the atmosphere..the girls had a good dance while I put in my usual "White men can't dance" routine !..age range last night was 20s to 50 plus (thank god)....1.45am was our signal for bed...up this morning for a full English with lots of choice..served well by a foreign guy with pony tail and great sense of humour...checked out with no problem..there is a key drop system so you don't have to wait.
In summery
Hotel is very good, rooms are nice but slightly worn in some areas but this would never effect your stay,food and restaurant great, bar area and club great, staff where all polite, dress code..I had shoes, clean jeans with no holes and a shirt with collar..not a problem !
So..go and enjoy the hotel and club, wear the correct gear and you will have a great time
Jay Moore, Formby

Room Tip: Rooms 324 & 326 where both good, spacious and quiet
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jay M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Holiday Inn Express Stockport
#11 of 14 in Stockport
Premier Inn Stockport Central Hotel
Innkeeper's Lodge Stockport, Heaton Chapel
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East

Been to Bredbury Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!