“3 COURSE MEAL FOR £25 FREE ENTRY TO CLUB”

Bredbury Hall Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Stockport
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I hadn't booked a room. I'm local so was just going for dinner with friends. Considering a lot of top quality restaurants do offers like this one for a 3 course set menu it is a joke that that they charge £25 because the quality of the food is no better then a cheap carvery. I'm going to Marco Pierre Whites pub the Wheelers Arms in a couple of weeks for a 3 course set meal and that is £19.99 and i'm sure the quality will far exceed this. I would prefer to go to a cheap carvery than here because at least you know what your getting and there is no pretence about the food your getting but Bredbury Hall are charging prices that a top quality restaurant would charge and they serve the food up in a way to make it look like it's fine dining. the tables are dressed nicely and the restaurant tries to look posh but really it's just dated. The Ham Terrine was too salty and had whole silverskin onions in it, not nice. The Lemon sole wasn't fresh, the sauce was too heavy and had waaaaaay too may capers in it and the dessert, the Berry Mousse was like something you's get from Iceland!! Horrible, horrible, horrible. The quality of the food is poor and the way it is cooked is terrible. The food is overdcooked and greasy. The food came out way too quick which is always a sign that the food is reaheated in microwave or not even cooked on the premises! Service was too rushed aswell. This place has all ayres and graces but nothing of the experience or the food they serve actually backs it up. Awful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank hollowl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed May 7, 2011

My daughter booked this venue to celebrate her birthday, there was supposed to be 12of us in the party. My wife phoned to check the dress code and was told smart casual, my son also happened to phone to check and was again told smart casual. At 6.00pm on the evening we were going, another member of our party phoned and was told smart trousers, collared shirt and no trainers. By this time my son, who had been told smart casual had arrived at our house ready to go. He was wearing a very smart (and extremely expensive) top, not a shirt. It was then that we received the phone call to tell us of the much stricter dress code, it was too late for my son to do anything about it. My wife then phoned again and asked to speak to the manager, a chap called Scott came on the phone claiming to be the manager, when my wife pointed out that our previous instruction had been smart casual, Scott told my wife that she could not possibly have been told that. When my wife remonstrated with Scott about his manner he became extremely arrogant and condescending. He told my wife that we should go to Tesco to get my son a shirt!! When again my wife questioned his attitude towards a customer he told her that we should find another venue as he would turn her away at the door!! The rude, arrogant attitude of a person who is supposed to be a manager is staggering. The upshot of all this was our son was unable to attend his own sister's birthday celebration and the whole evening was ruined. Had it been possible to arrange an alternative venue we would have, even though it would have meant losing our deposit. We went in order as to not let our daughter down and other relatives who had travelled a long way to be there. However I will never go again and will advise our friends to avoid the place.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Ennjay55
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We needed a hotel in close proximity to a friend's wedding in Marple and decided to give Bredbury Hall a try. We (my wife and I) also persuaded two other couples to stay there as well, the plan being that we would arrive in a group and enjoy all the facilities on offer.

Upon booking the room over the phone the hotel made a great play of pointing out the dress code to us and insisted that there should be no jeans or tracksuits etc. They even telephoned one of the other couples in our group to point this out and were insistent that we were aware of their policy. We had no problem with this, in fact we were quite pleased as it implied that the venue had high standards. We were soon to realise the misapprehension that we were under.

When we arrived to check in (midday on a Saturday) the bar area was already full of young men drinking and lounging around looking threatening. To be fair to the hotel staff, they themselves were accommodating and allowed us to check in prior to their usual 2pm arrival-time. The room was clean, and although a little soulless, it was spacious and well ventilated.

Off we went to our wedding having ensured that we could gain re-entry after midnight. We had already been notified that the venue runs a nightclub, and from earlier reviews on this site we knew that the doormen could be somewhat officious, but when we got back around midnight we had no difficulty in gaining entry. We had hoped to have a few late drinks in the bar and perhaps sample the nightclub which the hotel had pointed out was for a "mature" clientelle. Upon arrival at the bar area we noted that it was inhabited by several groups of men (no women to be seen) who were all drinking heavily and acting in an intimidating way. The atmosphere was nothing like any hotel I have ever been in before. As we were all dressed suitable for a wedding we stood out like a sore thumb, as most of the men there were in jeans or casual gear. Any pretension the place might have towards maintaining a dress code was clearly nothing more than lip-service.

We decided to give the bar and club a miss and went to bed instead. Next morning we got up early for breakfast to avoid the rush as recommended in the hotel's own literature. Imagine our surprise as we walked through the bar area on the way to the restaurant to see pints being pulled at the bar and people drinking before 9am.

Breakfast was of the buffet style and was ok - nothing more. However the atmosphere was ruined by a drunken Scot who insisted upon (badly) playing the piano in the hotel bar and who aggressively refused to stop doing so until the chap in charge of the breakfast area begged him to. He then decided to sit near us and I had to ask him to stop swearing in front of the ladies present. By now the terrace outside the breakfast room was full of people drinking and lounging in the early morning sun and we decided to check out as soon as possible to avoid the inevitable yobbery. I voiced my displeasure to the chap in charge of the breakfast room (for whom I felt a little sorry) and he said that he "did what he could" but in truth there was nothing he could have done to prevent the crass behaviour of the residents since this is clearly the hotel's target audience.

The whole thing cost my wife and I almost £100 for B&B. This is not a luxury hotel and country club. It is no better than a Club 18-30 flea pit in Benidorm.

Room Tip: Don't take a lady
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ClarissaCarp
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Decided to visit Bredbury Hall Nighttclub as recommended, upon arrival my friend was told she wasnt wearing acceptable clothing (expensive pair of jeans) so as we wanted to go in we went all the way home and she got changed. We arrived back at the Hotel, made our way to the entrance to pay. A particular Door Man,came up to my friend and said she didnt look very happy, she replied that she wasnt really as she had to go home and change, but never the less accepted their door policy. He replied that if you have a attitude I wont let you in. We are respectable 40+ women and he was obviously on some kind of power trip. I have never been anywhere like that where you are spoken to in such manner. We did go in at a charge of £10-00 and then to find a similar lady was dressed the same as my friend. Very rude arrogant people

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank tia4474
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I went to Bredbury Hall 3 weeks ago as I wanted to treat my girlfriend to a different night out. Our room was really pleasant, a loft style room on the 4th floor. Decor was nice and bathroom very clean and modern.
We both really enjoyed the food, wine and the charm of the traditional restaurant. The service was also excellent and the staff were able to help with wine choices too. There were a few parties in and it was a bit noisy but we didnt mind as it was a Saturday night and it was just building in atmosphere. We then went into the huge club, which if you have never been is just so surprising... We danced all night to a good mix of tunes, some chart and some classics and then in the morning, a bit hungover...enjoyed a really good full engligh breakfast.
Overall was a lovely experience and something different....it made a nice change not having to queue for taxis in the early hours of the morning but to be able to drop straight into a huge double bed only a few metres away!
Would go again, possibly in a group next time as it was a great night out!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2011

A very nice hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. Really nice rooms very well appointed and very comfortable. A really nice dining room with an excellent menu with knowledgeable advice and guidance from friendly and efficient staff. Overall, the hotel substancially exceeded my expectations. Definitely a gem!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank peterjmciver
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Large group of us from Liverpool stayed Saturday night for friend's birthday. Rooms spotless. Had a great night in bar and then nightclub and then back in bar. Ideal getaway for a party night where everyone can have as much or as little fun as they want - depends what you want from the night but have been there 5 times now and it never fails to disappoint !

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hayley2369
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Holiday Inn Express Stockport
#11 of 14 in Stockport
Premier Inn Stockport Central Hotel
Innkeeper's Lodge Stockport, Heaton Chapel
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East

Been to Bredbury Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!