“Not one good word to say about this hotel”

Britannia Hotel Stockport
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Stockport
Reviewed March 20, 2010

The room I stayed in had a very large area of mould and peeling wallpaper in the corner. When I tried to open the wardrobe the handle came off in my hand. The window would not close, although that was no bad thing as the room was smelly and stuffy. I found it hard to eat my food after the first forkful revealed a 20cm hair in my tasteless macaroni cheese. I was not able to identify the yellow mush I was served at breakfast, it may have been scambled egg- who knows? This hotel has nothing to recommend it, room in an appalling state, corridors grubby and food dreadful. Please do not stay there.

• Stayed: March 2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,466)

Reviewed February 22, 2010

Arrived at the hotel, which was in the middle of a housing estate, to be met with a notice on the reception desk stating that the boiler was not working so there was no heating or hot water. We asked how long it had been broken and the receptionist said since the previous day but the engineer was repairing it as we spoke (yeah right). The evening meal started with pea and ham soup (or should I say mushy peas). The rest wasn't bad though. Manuel (the bartender) broke a glass over guests and never apologised (maybe he didn't like his new name). The staff were giving out electric heaters to warm the rooms, lots were checking out but we stuck it out because we met some really friendly peope who, hopefully, we will keep in touch with. This was the best thing about the romantic??? Valentines weekend we paid for.

1  Thank Begrudged
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Internet price supposed to be special offer £35 not £135. No way is this a £135 per night hotel.
The place is generally grubby, carpets lighting and nicotine could have been there since the war.
Room at side overlooking bins and service area was basic but bed had clean sheets and was comfy. Stuffy even with window open.
Young dissinterested staff of east european origin were unfriendly, unhelpful, unpolite verging on obnoxious. All facilities at extra cost.

1  Thank Churchmousewales
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband wanted to take me away for the weekend after a very stressful few weeks.

We arrived at the hotel early evening. When we were waiting for a while at reception, a female disappeared into the back office saying that 'Simon would deal with us' and she went in to munch on her grub!

Simon finally got round to checking us in behind the workmen. We were given a room on the second floor and a voucher for the pink bubbly that was supposed to be in our room on arrival. Well, I can certainly say that the pictures on the website are absolutely nothing like what the actual rooms are like! We walked in and my husband went to use the bathroom - which he said I was glad I didn't go in to! The bedroom was bad enough and I wouldn't even put my bag on the floor! The carpet had a dirty black mark right round the skirting boards (regulary hoovering prevents this!), the curtains were filthy and hanging off the rail, the pillows were wafer thin and the furniture looked like it was from an old person's house clearance.

I turned round and went back to reception. I didn't want another room, I just wanted out! I wasn't the only one - there were two other couples doing exactly the same thing. The manager told us to 'speak to Simon'! He was the only one actually doing anything. Got a refund and went to stay at the Premier Inn at Deansgate which was lovely.

1  Thank bonnybelles
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Room badly in need of a refurb...but adequate for what we paid. Food was excellant. We have stayed at quite a few Britannia hotels and the food in this one was much better than others we have stayed at. There was an issue with the boiler but we had no problem as our room was lovely and warm and we had loads of hot water. Staff were great and we really enjoyed our stay here. Think some people want 5* standards for 1* price and that is never going to happen.We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I should have realized that this hotel wouldn't be good because I received such a good rate over the Internet. After I'd stayed there my English friend told me that it had been rated the worst hotel in England. The hotel was tatty and badly in need of renovation. My room was clean but I was unable to have a light bulb replaced on a weekend. I didn't eat there but the breakfast was expensive. The fitness club was great, although there was a fee.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 25, 2010

The room we had was on the first floor (176) a twin room described as standard. The decor was fresh and clean and the bedding crisp and white. The room was small but adequately sized for a short stay.
The twin beds were separated by a glass topped small set of drawers which were evidently quite new and matched the headboards and other furniture in the room.
There was plenty of drawer and hanging space with lots of hangers.
There was a tea and coffee tray adequately filled with a kettle that was clean and boiled quite effectively.
Carpets were clean and the room smelled fresh.
The bathroom again, was clean and appeared to have been recently refurbished as the silicone around the edges was clean and white. Bathroom comprised of bath with shower above, washbasin and WC. There was a sealed bar of guest soap along with 2 small complimentary shower gels and three clean white towels. My only complaint about the bathroom was the short supply of toilet tissue. The roll on the wall had around five sheets left had been neatly folded to a point !!.
The view from the room is uninspiring as you overlook the side of what appear to be the laundry with Sunlight laundry trolleys lined up. Having said that there was no noise and the net curtains were thick enough that you were unaware of what was outside.
The TV was approx 19" (not flatscreen) and had freeview channels. The remote controlled worked well but had gaffer tape holding the batteries in. (I have seen this so many times I wonder if people steal the batteries?)

The entrance to the hotel I felt was not quite as clean as it could have been and a quick clean of the glass entrance doors would make a big difference. Car park was big with lots of spaces although, I was concerned about security of this area at night as it is at the back of the hotel and seemed very dark (hid my GPS).
The receptionist was warm and friendly and check in was quick and simple.
The bar was not open until 6pm which considering it was a Saturday surprised me. It was happy hour from 6 till 7pm which was nice for pre dinner drinks. Prices are a little steep but no greater than you would expect. Bar was clean and drinks nicely served with ice and a slice.

In the bar seating area football was being shown on a large TV screen however the atmosphere remained quiet and relaxed.

We paid for inclusive dinner and found the restaurant surroundings very pleasant. Chairs were comfortable and the table set attractively with clean linen. The restaurant was very quiet with only three other tables occupied.
The waiter was polite and after serving us with soup directed us to the self service area. The soup was delicious and not packet or tinned. The main course choices were limited but adequate: Battered fish, steak and kidney pudding or vegetarian pasta along with a choice of garlic new potatoes, carrots & peas (tinned in my opinion) and salad.
Dessert was a choice of gateaux with cream. Nice and light.
We were supplied with a jug of fresh cold tap water and did not feel obliged to buy any drinks however, It would have been nice to have had a wine list at the table.

Breakfast was delicious and the restaurent much busier although not uncomfortably so.
There was a self service selection of cereals (some kellogs individually boxed) fruit juices, fresh fruit, yoghurt and cooked breakfast choices too. Toast was available in brown and white bread.
My only issue was the tea and coffee which was self served from thermos jugs. This was not hot enough and tasted like "flask" drinks do. Otherwise breakfast was great and nicer than much more expensive hotels.

We made use of the spa facilities (which were free to hotle guests)and were given bath sized hotel towels to use free of charge as the gym no longer hires them. The swimming pool, sauna, steam room and spa pool were lovely and clean and surprisingly quiet for a Sunday morning.

All in all a very pleasant, relaxing 1 night break which was even better at the bargain price of £25 per person including dinner, bed and breakfast. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends