“only stay here if you have to”

Britannia Hotel Stockport
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Stockport
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“only stay here if you have to”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

the cleanliness needs improvement we were unable to use the bathtub due to the metal plug being pulled and unable to use the shower because the parts of the showerhead were on the edge of the bath tub the breakfast was average and the dinner was less than desirable the we do not drink and enjoy watching television in the evening we were unable to watch some of our programs due to the fact there were only a few channels as there was no freeview the furniture in the room could do with an update as the tv was a very old one and the chair in the room was too big and interfered with opening the closet we had to move the coffee/tea tray to the bed in order to set up the laptop on a small vanity type dresser that also had a lamp on it it would be better if they just put a wall mounted light above the dresser mirror and instead of the oversized chair it would be better to have a chair that can slide under the dresser there weren't enough staff on the bar and there were long line up so that by the time I got our coke drinks our dinner was cold I should've got the drinks first and stood in the dinner que with glasses in my hand

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Six of my friends and I spent last weekend at the hotel. Having read the previous reviews, we went with open minds. The hotel could do with an overhaul, but the rooms were clean and the beds spotless (previous pictures showed the opposite). The shower mat needed renewing in Room 109, but ample tea/coffee milk etc was supplied in our rooms. The food served in the dining room needed the help of James Martin. As a vegetarian, I did not get a choice in the main course. The first evening I had vegetable stew, the next vegetable lasagne. The pasta was a bit stodgey. My friends indulged themselves in the desserts and said that they were delicious as was their main courses. The staff could not have been more attentive and I watched them carry out their duties with diligence. It is a pity that the hotel gets a bad reputation as the staff do not deserve any criticism.

Room Tip: Apart from the noisy floor boards and the residents above thumped about from early morning, it is no...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maureen B

Travelers are raving about these Stockport hotels

Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

From previous reviews I arrived here with low expectations and was disappointed that these were not met. Yes it's a cheap hotel and 5 star can not be expected but cleanliness doesn't cost much. The food was bland and tasteless, but worse than that the crockery and cutlery came out the dishwasher streaked and still smeared with food. Will never go back there

• Stayed November 2013
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Having lived in Stockport for the majority of my life this Hotel just gets a poorer reputation as each year goes by. I have used this Hotel on as a meeting place for business until finally I was so rudely spoken to by the bar staff and the then receptionist I decided enough was enough ie will not be frequenting this Hotel again nor recommending family members, unfortunate really as I only live around the corner. Having had family also stay at this Hotel they also complained but to no avail. I would recommend you try other better Hotels in the area. STAY HERE AT YOUR OWN PERIL

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hull
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed for one night with a friend on a National Holidays coach trip. Our room was on the first floor and had clean twin beds. The bathroom was very clean and we had tons of hot water. We had a new kettle with ample tea, coffee and milk available. The food was lovely, staff were friendly and the bar was cheap. We wouldnt hesitate to stay there again. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Suzy A
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I had been hiring the function room here to put my nights on since 2001 to around 2007. I re-launched them at this hotel in November 2012. In total since I re-launched up to 09.11.13 I have hired the room 4 times. I sell tickets for my nights in advance and if they don't all sell prior people can pay on the door. These nights have been a great success up until Saturday November 9th 2013.

Last orders/bar closing has always been midnight and the music ends at 12.30am from any night I've put on here since 2001. However, Saturday November 9th 2013 is a very different story.

I was informed only on the day when I went to set the room up around 3pm that I had to sign a form to say I will abide by the new noise limiter rule, which I did. I was not informed of any other changes to the normal room hire and the licensing.

The night was going fantastic, a great atmosphere, people were coming up to me and saying how brilliant it was, one of the best since I re-launched. At approximately 10.50pm I was approached by one of the bar staff to say that I had to shout last orders over the microphone there and then. I was totally shocked and could not believe it. I was fuming to say the least!

I had people coming over to me complaining when it wasn't even my fault! I was totally unaware of any changes in the licensing at the hotel whatsoever. It went from me being totally on form doing what I do to then to be feeling really deflated. I was trying to work and I had people coming over to me complaining and asking me what was going on and I didn't even know!

My partner went over to the bar and demanded to speak to a Manager and eventually the Bar Manager came in to the Shire Suit. She asked her why last orders had changed, her reply was the licensing changed 2 months previous, so she asked why nobody had informed us and she said a Team Leader should have been in touch. Nobody rang me, left a voice mail or wrote to me. A significant change such as their licensing hours should have been notified to me in writing! The Bar Manager said to my partner people can get as many drinks as they want as the music COULD still carry on until 12.30am!!

A short while after the night manager came over to me and said I had to stop playing my music, which was around 11.30pm. I was even more fuming! Straight after that he then turned the main lights on. So it went from the Bar Manager telling my partner the music could still be played until 12.30am to it changing ONCE AGAIN!

I went back the following morning to collect my DJing equipment and I couldn't get access to the room as it was locked. Normally the next day I can gain access and get my belongings. The Banqueting and Conferencing person said I had to pay my room hire money. Normally I've been sent an invoice/reminder for payment in advance but I'd not had anything in the post and they usually send something out, and I would have gone in to the hotel to pay the room hire prior. I would have paid the next day and I wouldn't have refused to pay but it was like holding my gear to ransom and after the damage they had caused to me and the future of my self employed business on that night!

I have had to refund £120 back in tickets as people thought it was ending at 12.30am as usual. I'm a self employed person having to do this because of their staffing!

I called in to the Britannia on Tuesday November 12th 2013 and David McMillan who I believe is their temporary Hotel Manager was there, plus Emma from Banqueting and Conferencing was working too. I had called in to get some answers but he didn't have any, all he kept saying was all I can do is apologise, so when I left I still had no answers! He was being very ignorant as though he had no time for me! Disgusting behaviour!

Whilst I've been preparing a complaint email I received a phone call on Friday November 15th from Graham Holland and he said he was calling on behalf of the Management to say I am barred from the hotel!!!! I asked him for a reason and he didn't even know why! So the management of that hotel have asked Graham to ring me to say I am barred and he doesn't even know why? Is that not bad management! I emailed David McMillan on 15.11.13 for a reason as to why I'm barred and I gave him 72 hours to respond and I'm still waiting.

I have received two Facebook messages from their staff one apologising for the temporary managers behaviour when I called in 12.11.13 and one to say it was staffing issues and that a girl was sacked on the night, but the management have not given me any reason.

I've been barred which people cannot believe just for standing up for myself.

I am waiting for the hotel's reason why they shut my night down early. I was lied to about the licensing as the facebook messages confirm they had staffing issues.

To add on to this, a very good friend of mine is having his 50th Birthday at this hotel this Friday November 22nd 2013. I've been in touch with him and he's said his bar is open until midnight with a 12.30am music license. If their licensing hours have changed he isn't aware of any changes to his contract! I was really looking forward to going to my friend's 50th, but I can't now as I'm barred without a valid reason!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Andy B
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We booked a mid week break with friends at the end of October. The four of us were pleasantly surprised when we arrived, the reception area is clean, modern and we were made very welcome. Our room was on the ground floor overlooking the car park but we had no problems with noise at all. Our room was very clean & we had fresh towels most days. The room was lovely and warm to come back to after we had spent our days on day trips out. Food was tasty and plenty of choice, The cooked breakfast was especially nice!. Drinks prices were very reasonable especially for a hotel. A mention must go to the staff , they will certainly go out of their way to help if needed and they made our stay very enjoyable .The hotel also has leisure facilities, we did not use this but it did seem well attended. I would be more than happy to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Doppa64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Trivelles Mayfair
Bredbury Hall Hotel
#8 of 15 in Stockport
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport

Been to Britannia Hotel Stockport? Share your experiences!