“Delicious food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went here shortly before xmas with 8 other people. We booked in advance and were given a lovely table in an annex by the window, so we could talk without feeling we were disturbing anyone.Most people had french onion soup which I was told was delicious. I and 2 other people had prawns in shell which were small and rather messy - served with a slice of bread , mayo but no butter. We were given a finger bowl which was really needed.
Mains ... try the lamb which just melts in your mouth. The portions look on the small side but are really filling. The other dishes we tried were pie .. a little too much pastry, duck which again was cooked to perfection.
Desserts - good choice but all average and very pricey £6+
Wine - had house wine which was nice , plenty of ales and soft drinks.
Expensive but on the whole enjoyable. Would not have the prawns again but would try the soup.
Staff were attentive and got all our order correct. Food served in good time and it was quite busy.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Being a proper northern boy (which I make no apologies for) I can never resist the temptation of a steak & kidney pudding whenever I spot one on a menu...

Its a sign that this chef has confidence in his ability and the provenance of his meat supplier (anyone can cook premium cuts) to serve this combination of offal, lard and cheap cuts and charge for the privilege... Well, on a recent trip with to the Red Lion I indulged myself in a rich feast of meat and jus, unctuous pudding casing and perfectly cooked chips for a perfect combination of proteins and carbs (but please don't tell the wife).

I was in pudding heaven and seriously thought that this couldn't be topped and I had reached the gastronomy summit of meat puddings, but unfortunately (or fortunately) had not.... A pre-christmas visit to a Marco Pierre White pub in Sussex led to an even more luxurious helping of pudding (48hr stock no less) and the crown of the best pudding lay firmly on the head of Chequers Inn in Maresfield.

There is no shame in being the second best pudding in the UK (especially to MWP), but I hope the Chef at the Red Lion takes this as a challenge and reclaims the title... I know they take their pies and puddings very seriously!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This entry is for the last Friday in October, when my wife and I went for a long walk at Lyme park and then onto the Red Lion for our lunch.
The 36 hour onion soup is lovely and you can choose as a taster or as a starter and our Belly Pork and Shepherd’s Pie were tasty and very hearty.
The Beer is very good and there is an excellent wine list by the glass and by the bottle.
Very good, friendly service.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family and I have been to the Red Lion a number of times and never been disappointed with the food quality and service. It is a little more expensive but you get what you pay for and this is very good value with a great atmosphere.
My 20 year old daughter begs me to take her here when we go to Manchester.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We went for our office Christmas lunch on 21/12 and weren't disappointed. Having endured less than mediocre christmas fayre in other local establishments in previous years it was a welcome change to enjoy such quality food at such a reasonable price. Without exception everyone commented on how delicious their meal was, my turkey, ham & mushroom pie was superb and the sticky toffee pudding was divine. The surroundings were tastefully decorated for the festive season and it was nice not to have cheap crackers and silly party hats cluttering the table. The staff were friendly and attentive too and I hope we book again for next year. I shall certainly be returning in the new year