“Poor Service & Poor Food”
Review of The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory
Ranked #364 of 551 Restaurants in Stockport
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Next to the Premier Inn. Large car park and outdoor beer garden.
Stockport, England, United Kingdom
“Poor Service & Poor Food”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We went to the Old Rectory last night for a meal for my son's 14th birthday and have to say that this place has gone downhill since we last ate there. Living nearby we have been here many times for meals and regularly pop in for a drink when we are out shopping. We sat outside last night and had a couple of drinks and went into the restaurant at 8.15pm and all the tables had "This table is reserved" cards on them. We could not believe that they would be booked up on a Wednesday night as there were at this point only about 5 tables with people at them. My husband asked a staff member if all the tables were actually reserved and she said no and said we could sit where we wanted so we chose a table. They probably lose a lot of custom by having these cards on all the tables as not everybody would question it. I ordered our food (for six people) at 8.32pm and at 8.50pm one of our starters arrived (3 were ordered). At 9.05pm I tried to find a staff member to ask how long our food would be and on finding one she went into the kitchen and said they were doing it now and would be a few minutes. It was 9.25pm before anything came out and this was our mains. I questioned about our starters and she should they are on their way. Starters arrived after main meal!!!! The food was no better than the service once it arrived. I had New York Chicken and the chicken was chewy and it was like it had been stood for hours and the bacon was mostly fat. My husband and daughter had the potato and leek pie and the pastry was rock hard and the filling was disgusting. My son had the toad in the hole as he loves yorkshire pudding. Well he didn't eat any of the yorkshire pud as his knife could not even cut through it. The only satisfactory meals were the two kids meals ordered for my niece and nephew. Nobody came over to ask us if we were happy with our meals and there were no staff about when we had finished as we were the last people to leave the restaurant at 10pm. The only thing that is different with this place since we last ate is that is it has been taken over by the Fayre-Square chain. I know this is a fairly cheap place to eat with two meals for £10 but you now actually get cheap meals where previously you got decent meals at a cheap price!!

• Visited August 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Rectory, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Andrea H,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Old Rectory in regards to the food which you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Fayre & Square

• Polish first
Stretford, United Kingdom
“Sigh.”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

It's just typical Wacky Warehouse-esque food; it tastes like frozen food that's been microwaved. Bored staff, tired decor...the type of place that chavs go for their tea. No thanks.

Visited June 2013
Dear Ross C,

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Old Rectory who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board.

We do hope to see you soon in Old Rectory soon.

Kind regards,

Fayre & Square
“Poor staff and even poorer food”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have been to you're restaurant a good few times over the years and thought it offered good value for money yesterday sadly was very different!
Staff at the bar and restaurant couldn't be bothered to serve us and very unhelpful especially when I was trying to order the food to cater for my small boy ! No flexibility not even trying to cater for him
The outside was covered in broken glass which after asking a member of staff to clean it up my son fell in it and cut his knee ! No one was bothered at all
The roast that four of us ordered had raw cauliflower watery mash and brown water for gravy !
Kids popcorn chicken was rock hard and dry !
The mixed grill should have been named mixed fat as that was all that was on the plate !
This place needs a new chef that can cook fresh food and offer a bit more flexibility
Ladies toilets were less to be desired too

Great shame for what used to be a great place to eat

• Visited July 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Value for money food. Not so good on the staffing front”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

It's a crying shame when I have to write such a bitter sweet review, especially when you can see the potential a place like this has.

Menu - the first issue we found was understanding the various "2 for" deals. I miss the good old days of clear pricing and 2 for £10 offers.

Staff - there were too few smiles on the faces of serving staff.

It was rather busy when we arrived and being a party with a couple of children, we wanted a decent sized table we could sit round. Whilst waiting for the waitress to clear the table we wanted "Heidi" was visibly annoyed by our presence, refusing to acknowledge our thanks.

What I found utterly disgusting was when approached by a young child from our party, a member of staff (I didn't get her name, but she had rather large pink earrings on) saw it fit to continue her chinwag with a fellow staff member instead of acknowledging the child asking for a couple of spoons.

I know we're in Stockport but replying without eye contact simply with a blunt "yeah" isn't how to deal with a polite and clearly nervous child.

Children are future customers - treat them well and they'll return. Treat them with contempt and you'll alienate both them and their parents.

Food - Fortunately, this is the one area this Fayre & Square got it right. It was well cooked, plentiful and (despite the confusion over the receipt) value for money. Absolutely no complaints on the food front.

What Fayre & Square need to do at this particular outlet, is find some staff that know how to interact with customers (young and old) and appreciate the fact that the better the experience you offer to customers, the more likely they are to return.

As it stands, I wouldn't return here - there are plenty of decent alternatives which offer far better customer service.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Eshrules
manchester
“Hard to rate”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Food is cheap and defiantly worth the money

However the problems are the staff or lack of them

Trying to get a drink from the bar you may as well walk to the local shops it would be quicker

But for a cheap meal out can't knock it

• Visited June 2013