“Value for money food. Not so good on the staffing front”
Review of The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory
Ranked #366 of 562 Restaurants in Stockport
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Next to the Premier Inn. Large car park and outdoor beer garden.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Value for money food. Not so good on the staffing front”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

It's a crying shame when I have to write such a bitter sweet review, especially when you can see the potential a place like this has.

Menu - the first issue we found was understanding the various "2 for" deals. I miss the good old days of clear pricing and 2 for £10 offers.

Staff - there were too few smiles on the faces of serving staff.

It was rather busy when we arrived and being a party with a couple of children, we wanted a decent sized table we could sit round. Whilst waiting for the waitress to clear the table we wanted "Heidi" was visibly annoyed by our presence, refusing to acknowledge our thanks.

What I found utterly disgusting was when approached by a young child from our party, a member of staff (I didn't get her name, but she had rather large pink earrings on) saw it fit to continue her chinwag with a fellow staff member instead of acknowledging the child asking for a couple of spoons.

I know we're in Stockport but replying without eye contact simply with a blunt "yeah" isn't how to deal with a polite and clearly nervous child.

Children are future customers - treat them well and they'll return. Treat them with contempt and you'll alienate both them and their parents.

Food - Fortunately, this is the one area this Fayre & Square got it right. It was well cooked, plentiful and (despite the confusion over the receipt) value for money. Absolutely no complaints on the food front.

What Fayre & Square need to do at this particular outlet, is find some staff that know how to interact with customers (young and old) and appreciate the fact that the better the experience you offer to customers, the more likely they are to return.

As it stands, I wouldn't return here - there are plenty of decent alternatives which offer far better customer service.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Eshrules

• Polish first
manchester
“Hard to rate”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Food is cheap and defiantly worth the money

However the problems are the staff or lack of them

Trying to get a drink from the bar you may as well walk to the local shops it would be quicker

But for a cheap meal out can't knock it

• Visited June 2013
Stockport, United Kingdom
“DREADFUL, DREADFUL.....DON'T BOTHER!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My family have been on/off regulars at this pub/restaurant for many, many years. Keeping your regulars should be an absolute must, in this game.
This is a gloriously beautiful building, steeped in history, but sadly......no-one seems to know how to run it.
I'd love to recommend it to visitors here in Stockport, but, alas, I cannot.
My husband and I arrived here on Monday 18th June, just after midday. It had been a little busier since Fayre and Square took over, but this day, only about four tables were occupied on our arrival, so we chose a place and perused the menu. Hubby went to the bar to order............time went by.........and by. When he returned around 15-20 minutes later, I enquired 'did you get lost?'.....laughing. He explained that there was only one member of staff at the bar, serving other customers in front of him. Then, a female duty manager arrived, ignored my husband, who had already had a long wait and proceeded to serve a lady who had just turned-up at the bar!
Order eventually placed, he joined me back at our table.........and we waited...........waited........and then...........the same duty manager came to our table and............told us they had no fish!!!!!!!! We were STARVING by then. She asked if he would like to order something else. He didn't want anything else, but was so hungry, he ordered a steak. I was concerned and asked if this would involve another long wait. She assured us that we would have our food quickly.
ONE HOUR LATER......no food.........we went back to the bar for a refund. This duty manager had taken the money via card payment, but insisted that the refund had to be in cash. She said that that was just their way of doing it! ...........hmmmmm..........earlier in the year, my husband had to drive all the way back to the Rectory at night, because he had checked his bill and realised that they had over-charged him more than £20, for our meal that day!
Avoid! And if you haven't avoided............pay cash.........don't give them your card......
Oh......and by the way, I've just tried to submit this with NO STARS....BUT IT WON'T LET ME........AND WE DIDN'T GET ANY SERVICE OR ANY FOOD!!!!!!! SO I'M SUBMITTING ONE STAR, THAT IS A FALSE RATING, SINCE YOU CANNOT RATE SOMETHING YOU DID NOT RECEIVE.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank eyeart
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Rectory, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear eyeart, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to read and we would like to fully investigate this further with the Management Team of the pub. I have therefore sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Fayre & Square
Manchester
“Great food, Lovely atmosphere and good staff.”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We went here last november at a busy time when the companies christmas work do's were in full flow. We managed to reserve a table and were well looked after. We had a 3 course meal which we found was absolutely lovely and great value for money. The only down fall was that my wife wanted gammon for a main dish but it was not available at evening times but only available during the day for bar food. Apart from that we enjoyed ourselves and found it an ideal place to go for a nice night out.

• Visited November 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't bother going!!!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Myself and 4 friends went for a meal at 6pm last night as a treat after doing The Race for Life in the morning.I was ignored by the Duty Manager as I waited by the "Wait here to be seated" sign so I followed her to the bar where I was told there would be a 45 minute wait for a table. We were then told by a waitress that they had a table we could use but it was reserved for later by another party. We placed our food order, starters, mains and desserts at 6.48pm after having to change our original choices because they didn't have any cheese!!!! They also couldn't do any steak! There was also a 45 minute wait for the food. To our surprise the starters arrived almost immediately but one of them was so dry it was inedible. The main courses weren't much better either so we were looking forward to our desserts arriving. We waited and waited asking 3 different people if they were on their way and the response was "Yes they are just being made" This turned out to be a blatant lie it was now 8.40pm and we were the only people left in the restaurant. We asked another waitress and she said that there were no desserts being made as there had been a power cut and the electrician was now in the kitchen with loose wires hanging down over the food preparation area.Needless to say we were less than pleased to hear this and asked to speak to the manager after we had been given a refund of exactly £13.99!! They couldn't even round it up to £14 or offer us a drink by way of an apology. The manager was less than useless and all he could say was that he would make sure we were looked after on our next visit!!! There will never be a next visit!! We then went to McDonalds and had a delicious chocolate fudge brownie ice cream at a fraction of the cost!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jan289
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Rectory, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Jan289, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback was a concern to hear and I would like to investigate these comments further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Fayre & Square.