“Not quite up to other reviews but good”
Review of Heaton Tandoori

Heaton Tandoori
Ranked #89 of 598 Restaurants in Stockport
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I'd seen reviews for this restaurant and always being on the look out for a good last minute curry so I had high expectations.

From previous reviews I expected there would be a warm and inviting welcome but there was little/no interest, no different than any other new place.

The wine choice is average with only one choice of house wine. I was the only one drinking wine, the guys were drinking Cobra which came in the small size bottles so they needed to order a few times. The house medium white was however surprisingly nice (I'd always normally go for a dry white wine), not too sweet or like battery acid and a great price too of only £2.25 per glass. I'd recommend, very fruity and light.

Poppadoms were nice, crispy and fresh. The condiments brought with the poppadoms were ok, nothing special and the raita type dip was yellow, thick and didn't taste as nice as normal raita but the onions in chilli were fresh. The other dips seemed out of a jar.

We were all hungry so ordered starters - Poppadoms & chicken kebabs. There were 4 small poppadoms each & some shredded salad as to be expected and the chicken was real but a bit bland. The poppadoms were ok, quite crispy - so freshly made but nothing outside of what could be expected.

We all ordered varied and different main courses. I'd fancied the vegetable thali (from earlier reviews) but this was a massive dish coming with nan, poppadoms and rice. We'd already ordered poppadoms and I'm gluten intolerant and have never liked nan anyway so decided to order the fish konkani. My boyfriend ordered a sweet nutty chicken dish and our visiting friend, a chicken pathia and a garlic nan.

What I often find frustrating at Indian restaurants is that they use the same base sauce for all dishes and add a few extra ingredients but they all taste pretty much the same. I therefore really liked the fact each dish was entirely different made from a different base and ingredients. Each were very very nice in their own way. The fish dish was very tasty, plenty of fish with potatoes to make it a more filling dish. Personally I prefer a more medium hot spicy dish with lentils and chickpeas so the pathia was more to my tastes, excellent, full of pulses. Again I'd ask for it to be slightly spicier but that's probably my tastes. The sweet nutty dish was pleasant enough, plenty of nuts and coconutty but very mild and suspiciously red (with E numbers?), which was a bit off-putting but both meat dishes had plenty of chicken.

I asked if gluten was in any of the dishes and thankfully they understood and advised it was only contained in the nan. (It's so frustrating to have to explain gluten allergy/intolerance everywhere you go so other intolerants will appreciate; the fact they understood was such a relief).

Our friend had ordered the nan but only ate a tiny piece as it was doughy, and undercooked still being grey and uncooked in the middle.

Service was indifferent and average (no red carnation as mentioned in an earlier review :o()... until we mentioned the nan was undercooked. They were then brilliant, really attentive, very apologetic several times, knocked it off the bill and brought iced Bailey's over.

We'd visited here on the basis of the reviews so the building exterior was a bit of a shock. It's down a side street and looks really 1970's dated and very run down. We felt we had to be apologetic to our friend and advise of the good reviews as we were a little embarassed to be bringing a guest to somewhere so visibily shabby. Inside is fine though, clean and nicely laid out and lights not too bright as some Indian restaurant's can be.

There were around 12 people dining in total which is good for a Tuesday night anywhere! Speed of food service was a little slow with at least 20 minute gaps between ordering and courses but that could be that the food is being freshly prepared which is likely as each dish was so different.

For 3 of us with 2 alchoholic drinks each and 2 courses and the bill was £60 which is amazing value.

Overall an enjoyable meal for a very reasonable price.

We'd definitely recommend and visit again to try other dishes on the menu.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We always come this curry house after a night out or a take out in we staying at home (we live in cheadle) . We have tried other places before but never have they matched Heatons for taste and staff. We always recommend our friends and family. The food is amazing and they will tailor the food to your liking. You want hot? They can do it red hot.

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Clean well executed food with excellent service, great value with a great range of veggie dishes . Chilled bottle beers always and fresh ungreasy pops.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

If we're ever in doubt where to go for something to eat we often end up here. Nice friendly staff, good service but importantly they do a tasty curry! Keep up the good work.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Often go here as right down the road!! Very friendly and food is lovely!!