Tripadvisor

“Mr”

Where The Light Gets In
Ranked #100 of 690 Restaurants in Stockport
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Far too long between courses and overpriced.It is also hard to hear the chefs explaining the dishes over the din of the restaurant and music.I advise keeping your coat on as once the log burner goes out in the evening the restaurant is freezing.

Date of visit: January 2020
3  Thank Mossnook
Write a reviewReviews (244)

Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

Having read other reviews, I was a little nervous having already booked and paid. I have to say I was blown away.

It isn’t obvious where the restaurant is from the outside as there is no sign, but this just adds to the mystery. Even if I had to run up and down the hill to find it. The atmosphere in the restaurant is like sitting in a big families kitchen. All seats point to the centre where you can see every course being prepared I found myself in a trance at times.

All the staff and Sommelier were passionate and knowledgeable about every dish and drink they brought and you got a back story of them all. There was not one (of the many) courses that we didn’t love.

I think some of the reviewers below should probably stick to Weatherspoons. Worth every penny!

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 27, 2019

I am with the excellent reviews club, on this one. Not sure how people cannot be full and are disappointed. Fifteen courses all made with brilliance, accompanied by excellent wines.
To name but a few. incredible oysters mousse with brassica, oysters with apple, rainbow trout, wild bass, chicken, chicken live pate, kebab, a brilliant potato dish, mushrooms with truffle.
Bread and the deserts all accomplished. Each course was truly masterful.

Reviewed December 22, 2019 via mobile

We had read reviews before we went and found them to be very mixed, so were curious. We were there with friends celebrating a 70th birthday. It’s very difficult to find as there is no sign outside something to do with it being a listed building. Don’t bother going if you can’t climb stairs as it’s up 2 sets of very uneven steps.

We were greeted and given an amuse bouche of fish broth, then seated at our table. You can see the kitchen as it’s at the end of the room. We had the taster menu with a wine pairing. As each course arrives you are told exactly what you are eating. We asked about the cured egg so the chef came over and explained the process. We were taking photos and they took the phone to take them, it was nearly flat so they charged it , just excellent service.

The food was unbelievable, course after course of fabulous food, tastes like I’ve never experienced. The cabbage crisps, sprouts cooked in paper, leek and potatoes, the sea bass and trout courses delicious. Loved the sour dough bread and the chicken liver parfait outstanding. The deserts were excellent Christmas pudding made with vegetables and the sourdough bread ice cream served from the churn.

This isn’t just a meal it’s a theatre of food, served by Sam and his team with passion and enthusiasm. Every member of the team played a part, all with such enthusiasm describing the individual dish or the wines.

Thank you we had a great time it was such a great experience.

Reviewed December 19, 2019 via mobile

I hate to leave less than a 5 star review but given the price I think it’s only fair to let other people know. Firstly, the room is lovely, super cosy and welcoming. All chairs face towards the open kitchen and you have a feeling of sitting in someone’s really large dining kitchen. The log fire adds to the ambience. The welcome is very nice from the chef owner. A quirky millennial hippie but thankfully not patronising as some chefs can be.

Each course came and each time, I became more and more disappointed. Mostly vegetarian, a tiny bit of fish, the smallest amount of chicken and when I say small, I mean 3 inches of chicken. I was expecting fermented and pickled vegetables as they are known for it but all we got was a tiny slice of pickled cherry on 2 dishes. The portions are small, underwhelming and not particularly exciting.

We also had the wine pairing and I do feel that 4 glasses of bad wine for £60 is a poor show. 2 were almost undrinkable.

The attention to the food and drink delivery was very good but you always felt that it wasn’t done with genuine warmth and more of this is my job to give you the spiel.

Overall, really disappointing. I was looking forward to visiting here. If I had gone with a guy we would definitely have had to stop on the way home to get more food because I can’t see a male being full on what was served. I thought the idea of paying in advance was a great idea to eliminate no shows but I suspect it’s maybe because you wouldn’t pay the whole amount for the food you got. It’s not terrible, it’s just not great and for £150 plus 10% service it should be amazing.

Unfortunately, I can’t recommend and I wanted to so badly!

6  Thank Jojoloutravel