“Great experience - a must visit”
Review of Aumbry - CLOSED

Aumbry
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
UK
“Great experience - a must visit”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We had the Tuesday night tasting menu, adapted for us as veggies, for £25 which was superb value. The "snacks" of warm cheese scone and black peas really set the mood. Great NW based food, unpretentious, good friendly service. Relaxed informal atmosphere. Wine matching at £22 was brilliant value and highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“I didn't order the kids menu”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I wasn't going to leave a review for this restaurant as I enjoyed it and didn't want to go on about the big negative but after reading the other reviews I feel the need to comment. Listen to your negative comments for which there is only one. Food great....portions tiny....price not representative of meal consumed, regardless of effort or labour costs. I have eaten at many Michelin standard restaurants and the food here is almost on par. The portions however are smaller than any I have ever been served by some considerable margin. Left on a very bitter note as I felt robbed for £170 for 2 people that where both still hungry after 7 courses, something that I would have imagined to be impossible.

• Visited February 2013
Worksop
“Aumbry restaurant....”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wine afternoon with the tasting menu at the Aumbry restaurant.
Saturday afteroon and it seems we have the restaurant to ourselves.

Service was good as we were the only dinners and the information given about each dish was nice.
Being a tasting menu the portion sizes are small which is ok but I just wish the main dish was a little bigger as I left still hungry.
A couple of dishes I felt didnt work very well but in general a high classed kitchen with good ideas.

• Visited March 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
“An experience - would revisit!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We recently visited Aumbry in part due to the fact they offer a special Tuesday night tasting menu for £25 which is always an opportunity to get a feel for a restaurant and to try food you might not ordinarily risk ordering. The location is a little busy but the restaurant itself was cute and welcoming and the staff friendly. The restaurant was full probably due to others taking advantage of the Tuesday offer but it added to the atmosphere. The food was good - with canapes, bread, an amuse bouche followed by a starter of black pudding and quails egg scotch egg, a lovely wild garlic and potato potage, roe deer, and a scrummy grapefruit posset topped with celery granita. As someone who detests celery and is ambivalent towards grapefuit - I can say that I was more than impressed by the combination and am now obsessed with attempting to recreate the dish at home. The only negative for me was that the whole table had to have the same menu - and I don't like deer, however I was able to substitute this for another dish for a fee. Still worth the money and we would go again.

• Visited April 2013
Lymm, United Kingdom
“A great afternoon, enjoyed to the fullest”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our visit to Aumbry was a little out of the ordinary so it is certainly worth bearing this in mind when reading my comments. Our party were all people with an interest in good wines, and we arrived as a group of 20 people - more or less filling the restaurant to capacity - and each of us brought along a particular bottle we wanted others to taste. As a result we overlooked the impressive wine list on offer, and had agreed a set menu in advance of our arrival. The kitchen also smartly realised that delivering 20 covers in a single wave was going to make it impossible to deal adequately with other diners, so seemed to have reserved the entire place for us. A clever and much appreciated move on the part of the owners/management.

I also have to say that the menu was in fact more extensive than I had been led to believe from the list we were given. We started with a simple cheese puff canapé, we're given two sorts of home made bread with two specially chosen local butters, followed by a black pea amuse bouche . . . and this was before we even saw our first expected dish.

A starter of home smoked mackerel with a mustard cream and some sort of pickled beetroot fondant was really very tasty indeed and it was followed by an unusual "oat groat porage" (a soft pearly barley/oat disk loosely held together with sauce), served with a delicate white onion purée and a very light cauliflower beignet. Again, very tasty and nicely presented.

The main event was a delicious sounding slow cooked, milk-fed goat dish, served with a pearl barley and goat curd accompaniment and some tiny fragments of cauliflower as window dressing. What goat there was was delicious, but an inch cubed of meat does not a dish make - the only real disappointment of the meal, in fact.

To finish we had a fantastic grapefruit posset topped with celery granita - yes it sounds a little odd but it did really work very well indeed. The sweet and sharp posset slotted in perfectly well with the still slightly salty granita. A real discovery that I'd happily order again.

Coffee and complimentary sweet (looking suspiciously home made, in fact!) finished off a great meal, which was certainly enhanced by great company, great wines and a really top-notch level of service considering the difficulty posed by serving twenty people at once.

Very close to a 5/5 here, but perhaps missing tiny bits here and there that make it a near perfect afternoon. Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2013