“Needs tweaking to justify price”

The White Hart Inn at Lydgate
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Oldham
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a good stay here ,the staff were very friendly the bed was huge as was the bath a really good wallow,which is unusual as a lot of baths are cramped.
An excellent freshly prepared breakfast with good choice .The only quibble that the T.V. was very small and dated and biscuits with the tea tray would have been nice.We were also given the John Radcliffe room and did sleep well but could not say it that the room was good value compared to similar priced stays we have had elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you are a sport fan check out the size of the t.v in the room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 12, 2013

we had our wedding ceremony and reception here in august. The staff were amazing very efficient and helpful - nothing was too much trouble, which helped when the pressure mounted as the day neared! The management organised the venue to suit our needs - we had a large wedding so we took over both the function room and the restaurant.
the food was of an extremely high standard - many of our guests commented later that this was 'the best wedding that they had ever been to!'

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed overnight on a business trip to the area. Very nice, clean and comfortable room, adequately equipped. Nice selection of ales in the bar and a very enjoyable dinner. Excellent cooked breakfast too. Attentive and friendly staff. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here last Saturday in order to attend an event in the Oak room. The room on arrival was excellent. Large and spacious with great views. The Oak room is great as a venue although the disabled toilet is not signposted and is in the cloakroom area. I took my disabled mother all the way upstairs (which is where the toilets are and are signposted as such) to be told on our way down the location of a disabled one.
At the end of the evening we went to bed about midnight to discover that our room was actually directly over the bar area. Not only that it was open until way after three and we could hear a radio or tv on the whole time. Very poor nights sleep. Breakfast was excellent but when we saw that only two tables were set and that we seemed to be only one of two sets of guests I was even more disappointed that we were put in the worst room in the place. I told the receptionist on leaving about the problem and was told to ask for a room on the top floor next time. There probably wont be one unfortunately.

Room Tip: Top floor without a doubt.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy T
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Having loved eating in the Whie Hart for years it comes with tsome sadness that I have to say following my last few visits the portions are now tiny and more suprising the starters and the main meals seames lacking in any flavor! The Taste of the Ocean Main course is a great example of this, avoid it or be biterly disapointed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DPS-73
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed overnight while on a business trip in the middle of winter. The hotel was warm and cosy. We ate in the brasserie and the food was wonderful. I have paid twice as much before in prestigious restaurants but the food here was far better. The real ales served from the bar are well stored and so tasted wonderful. The staff across the hotel, bar and brasserie were very professional being helpful and friendly but not pushy or aloof. My bed was comfortable and once I had turned on the radiators it was nice and warm. The only let down was the TV in my room (Lord Lydgate) was on a high shelf (right up where the wall meets the ceiling) and so far away from the bed I could not read the channel info or subtitles in a film! I don't need or wear glasses. Also there was an extraction fan noise all night long coming out of the wall which the headboard of the bed is against. Last time I had that much noise I was in an overnight ferry cabin.

Room Tip: Don't accept the Lord Lydgate room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I used to stay here often, years ago with work. We had to cut a holiday short on the East coast and booked a last minute stay here in early December, since we now have family living nearby. Its not cheap, but it is very good. I found the staff very accommodating and friendly towards us, as I we really messed around a dinner reservation on account of snow that day and also we travelled with our dogs. They were really good with us. Room was fine, food was excellent and I was really pleased that the same nice atmosphere I remembered was still present. All in all, I would stay again when in the area. Thanks.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple