“Great service but SOOOOO Expensive!”

Wickentree Restaurant at Housing Units
Ranked #19 of 303 Restaurants in Oldham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A really great effort made by Housing Units to make retail dining a pleasurable experience. I had the welsh rarebit which was average and £7.25!! The cakes however are fantastic..overall good quality but like the rest of HU...very overpriced!

1  Thank 999Newts
The Wickentree ... H, K Mills - PA to Stuart Fox, Retail and Operations Director at Wickentree Restaurant at Housing Units, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Many thanks for your kind feedback regarding our cakes, we are pleased that your find dining with us a pleasurable experience.

We source the highest quality suppliers ad benchmark prices on a weekly basis against national competition to offer great value as well as offering a price match promise.

We thank you once again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Housing Units in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My mother and I usually have an early lunch here, but yesterday it was after 1pm and the place was packed and staff were very busy. Even so we were greeted with a smile and shown to an area of our choice. I placed the order and mentioned that my mother could do with a cushion to sit up to the table, and she said she'd ask someone to arrange it. I returned to my seat and then saw the same lady bringing the cushion. She then went and cleared tables. All the staff were rushed off their feet but conducted themselves with courtesy and a smile. The food and tea arrived in good time, piping hot and tasted delicious. The vegetable soup was a delight. I pinched some of mother's chips because they were so tasty. Most enjoyable lunch. Thanks to all the team there and keep up the good work.

1  Thank Sue M
The Wickentree ... H, K Mills - PA to Stuart Fox, Retail and Operation Director at Wickentree Restaurant at Housing Units, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Wickentree Restaurant at Housing Units, we are pleased that you enjoy your visits to us and that you find our food delightful and our staff friendly!

I have passed your kind comments on to the Restaurant Manager and his team who will be delighted to hear this.

On behalf of Housing Units we thank you for your valued custom and look forward to welcoming you again to The Wickentree Restaurant in the not to distant future.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I re-visited the Wickentree with a friend yesterday - mainly to use up the £20 voucher I had been sent by them, as a goodwill gesture after my previous visit, when the food and service had been poor!

No change then!!

The venue is cosy and pleasant, but the staff are generally slow and have a sluggish attitude - my friend has difficulty walking, which the lady showing us to our table failed to notice, as she never looked around at us until she had arrived at the table and saw we were still far behind! She did apologise - but what about a bit of idle chit-chat to welcome us while we walk to the table - I think it's called good manners.

Once we had chosen, I went to the counter to order (a poor system for a "restaurant" that isn't cheap) - I queued on the wrong side!! Oh - big mistake when there was only one other customer at the till! I was motioned with an arm to walk around the barrier to be on the "right" side! I then ordered my food and asked for our drinks to be served with our food (tricky that one - I was obviously asking for something out of line with the usual routine!). Our food arrived - cheese on toast and a club sandwich - both average - not bad - but at £20.40 for the meal and a tea and coffee, average is the only description. We were half way through our food and the drinks had not arrived, so, as there was no waitress near us to ask, I had to leave the table and go and ask for them. A predictable outcome.

So - my conclusion: the Wickentree just can't do it - every other review here yo-yo's from good to poor - maybe some people like it, but many agree with me, so something is failing - you should be deeply concerned, especially when we all know many people will just not complain and go away disgruntled but don't say anything. I'm just glad it cost me 40p and I had the voucher!

Perhaps there is little to compare in the area, so that's why some people think it's good - try the amazing food at the ground floor restaurant at John Lewis in Cheadle or the cafe within Arighi Bianchi in Macclesfield, when you want to shop for housey stuff - and be wowed by good food at reasonable prices.

Badly done again Wickentree!!

2  Thank Margaret T
The Wickentree ... H, K Mills, PA to Stuart Fox, Retail and Operations Directo at Wickentree Restaurant at Housing Units, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept our apologies that you feel the need to complain again.

All feedback is read by all staff so that we can improve service to customers.

With regards to pricing we benchmark ourselves against local establishments which shows that we offer competitive prices.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I frequent the Wickentree Restaurant not on a regular basis, UNFORTUNATELY only due to the fact of where I live - but the food is absolutely brilliant, home made & plenty of it. There is always a good selection of wine & beer (if you are not driving of course) - the staff are very, very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Also, to go with the restaurant is the vast array of good quality products within Housing Units - again the staff are always very helpful. Good old fashioned values and politeness - a fantastic change.

2  Thank SusanWhittall
The Wickentree ... H, K Mills - PA to Stuart Fox, Retail & Operations Director at Wickentree Restaurant at Housing Units, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Wickentree Restaurant at Housing Units, we are pleased that you enjoy your visits to us and that you find our food brilliant and our staff friendly!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Nothing more than a glorified in-shop cafe.
Took my order, then waited until rest of our food was brought out to tell me mine was no longer on the menu. Waitress stood there and told me to order again. 20 mins later my food was brought out, cold and in edible. It was an omelette. Hardly Michelin star food. No apology for having to eat on my own with no explanation.

1  Thank Coggers1980
The Wickentree ... H, PA to Stuart Fox, Retail and Operations Director at Wickentree Restaurant at Housing Units, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Please accept our sincere apologies, we are disappointed to hear this, we take pride in giving excellent service to the customer and on this occasion this we failed to do so.

Please would you kindly contact me by email kerrymills@hultd.co.uk so that this can be resolved.