“AVOID DO NOT STAY”

Ranked #4 of 8 Oldham B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“AVOID DO NOT STAY”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is like the set if a" Big Fat Gypsy Wedding " Rubbish and scrap metal everywhere. There were hideous plastic flowers everywhere.The Booking was messed up, the room was very scruffy and the bathroom was not clean, there was a all pervading smell of stale urine. The extractor did not work and the bedroom windows were locked shut hence the stale stink. Fire alarms were not working and Fire Doors were propped open, there was a chair blocking the Fire Exit The Breakfast took over 45 minutes to appear and was disgusting, sausage from Aldi or Lidl,, a tiny slice of tomato half a mushroom with horrid hash browns and a sea of slimy beans , Oh yes and it was almost cold.. Certainly not worth £78 . Take my advice avoid like the plague,

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nicolas b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Birmingham
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Arrangements were made for a small family reunion and my uncle booked to stay the night, on arrival a young lady greeted us and we explained we were meeting a relative who hadn't yet arrived, we were made very welcome, having wondered off to look at the lovely views, returning we found my mother with a mug of coffee chatting to Pat like they had known each other for years.
We had our reunion in the lounge/bar area upstairs which was very comfortable, the evening meal was a lovely home cooked meal, cottage pie, homemade chips with gravy, green beans and for pudding apple pie with cream or icecream.
Can't comment on the rooms as we were unable to stay the night and was disappointed to have to leave, the staff were really nice and looked after us brilliantly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Manchester
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed here recently which was a last minute arrangement due to work commitment.
On arrival i was greeted by a young lady who was extremely professional in her job,yet made me feel like i was family.
The room was spotless with amazing views over the moors,and very competitively priced.
The food there was very good also,well presented and good value for money.
The staff that work there are some of the nicest people i have ever met,nothing was ever too much trouble for them.
If your looking for somewhere in the area with a home from home feel,then you will definitely not be disappointed.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lee E
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The worst, dirtiest B&B in the north west. Staff could not care less. Owner is rude and arrogant. Bedrooms are dirty. TV reception in the "old wing", if it exists at all, is appalling. Mattresses old and uncomfortable. Curtains so thin you get no sleep or privacy, Carpets ancient and stained. You dont always get your own towels in your room, there is sometimes a heap of them in the shared bathrooms in the old wing, so you don't know who has used them or not. They are appalling towels anyway. Damp in some bedroom walls. One communal shower in the old wingi s avocado and truly disgusting - get the picture ?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank susanne j
England
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The outside of the Grains Bar Hotel is very pleasant and inside it features numerous bars and lounge areas. I stayed in the old farm house half of the property which features slopping floors and low ceilings. As I'm just over 6 foot this meant regular incidents involving lamp shades and wall mounted TV stands.

The room itself was comfortable and featured a shared bathroom - I had the luxury of having this to myself as the hotel was quiet. In the entrance there is a notice up regarding a price rise meaning that a non-en suite bed only night will weigh in at £28 and unfortunately the travel lodge just down the road probably provides more comfort at the same or cheaper price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I recently had my wedding reception here and it was fantastic. The owner, Pat, was great at arranging and making my big day woderful. My partner and I went to her 3 weeks before our wedding which was quite short notice but on the day you would have thought we had been planning it for ages. All the guests had a wonderful 3 course meal and a fantastic party at the night in the bar/function room, with an excellent buffet which guests have since commented on. Pat put on all the finishing touches to the day and I would highly recommend this as a venue for your wedding or as simply somewhere to stay for a few days. The rooms were superb, clean and cosy. The cost of the wedding package i.e meal, buffett etc was superb and we would have paid a lot more elsewere for less. The staff are all friendly and nothing was too much trouble, which I found refreshing as some hotel staff are quite rigid and plastic, whereas it was like one big family at the Grains.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
newquay
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I spoke on the telephone at 11am that morning to a lady called Pat asking for availability. I was then in Cornwall. I accepted the booking and explained that I would arrive around 8.30pm that evening. We eventually arrived at 9.45pm to be greeted in a cold manner by the said same lady. There was no smile and she promptly made it clear that she had been waiting since 8.30pm. The atmosphere was immediately frosty and after driving 350 miles it wasnt good. We were shown to our room number 3. It was the furthest away from a three star than you could imagine. The bed linen was obviously old and not matching, it had bobbles all over it. The carpet was a disgrace with stains all over it. The toilet seat was so twisted that you had to practically face the wall to use it.
The shower was filthy. The decor was in poor taste. Both my wife and myself had the most uneasy night at this hotel and though it looks great from outside all was not what it seemed. Not in a million years would I stay there again and neither would I recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple