“Superb New Year's Eve Ball”
Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
Derbyshire, UK
“Superb New Year's Eve Ball”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Had a wonderful evening last night at the Victoria Hotel's New Year's Eve Ball. The ballroom and tables were decorated beautifully, the food was delicious, entertainment excellent and the dancing energetic!! We stayed in one of the most fabulous hotel rooms we've ever stayed in - very dramatically styled with black and glass chandeliers, mirrored furniture, an absolutely wonderful bed, pillows and bed linen, and fabulous, huge bathroom, all spotlessly clean. I can't praise that room highly enough. I would definitely recommend this venue for anyone wishing to hold a special event.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for three nights while visiting family. Before arriving, I contacted the hotel to arrange a birthday breakfast for my partner and the lady I spoke to, Janet was most helpful and sorted everything out which was executed and she even asked if he had had a nice birthday on departure. Lovely touch.

The hotel itself was nice, we had an enormous bathroom, even though we had only booked a standard room. It was clean and well presented. The reason I have given this 4 stars and not 5 is that we couldn't regulate the temperature in the room... it was very hot and the windows only opened a couple of inches; other guests were quite noisy too and so it was a little difficult to get to sleep but those were my only issues.

The bar and lounge area are really comfortable and have been made to look very festive! We didn't eat at the hotel apart from the birthday breakfast so I can't really comment on the food.

When we return back up North again, we will definitely be staying at the Victoria.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I booked this venue for 30 friends and family to enjoy a pre Christmas get together. I was impressed with the friendly customer service throughout my booking.

We attended our Do last night and upon getting there had a hiccup with our table x 3 location,resulting in us having to move to the opposite end of the room, which I and others in our party found disappointing but I must admit this was dealt with by the staff, in particular by Corey, the Manager, who could not apologise enough or do enough for our parties needs throughout the rest of the evening.

The food was excellent, the beer flowed freely and the company was fantastic, all of which said at some point during the evening that they want to return next year, and I totally agree.

This is a must visit Hotel for food, comfort and customer service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dbluebomber
Glasgow
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed here for event in the city due to other hotels being full and its reviews being good. This hotel has spent money in all the wrong ways, I stayed in refurbished rooms and at first glance all is well but then the closer you look the more the shortcuts appear such as old wallpaper just painted over with gaps in the pattern and nails etc still in wall. Its also a shame that the paint is peeling off the bedroom doors, not great first impressions. Most of the staff are plesent mind and I agree with reviews on that front with the odd exception. Lounge bar area is a great addition to the hotel in particular the lady who works on the bar (I think it said julia on her badge), nice to be able to get a decent coffee and she seemed genuingly interested in our visit to manchester. She was also very helpful in information about tram to get to the arena when the receptionist was always busy or in the back, I didn't like to ring the bell, as they appeared annoyed that I did so when checking in. I do also however think it is inappropiate for a man who seemed to be in charge or someone of importance to speak to the staff abrubtly in front of customers. I would of been asking for a refund on check out if I didn't feel sorry for the staff who are putting effort in as I did not sleep due to noisy customers and also a knocking sound and doors slamming. I would not return to this hotel I am afraid even though I rate the staff.

• Stayed November 2013
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

On arrival we were told we did not have a reservation so I produced my ref no but was told it wasn't one of there's. Eventually reception found my booking ! The only reason I use this place is because there was no other availability in the area although I did look very early this time . We had plenty of bags which needed hauling up
A flight of stairs to our room . The room was very small with a very tiny bathroom which had paint flaking off the ceiling . The heated towel rail was
inoperative & the toilet wouldn't flush properly . The walls in the rooms were so thin I could hear every word & movement from my fellow guests . The television was also faulty .

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I booked an event here for 20 people and to be honest was not expecting much having been to the old Bower Hotel a few times over the years. Due the shortage of decent non budget hotels in Oldham I decided to use the newly branded Victoria Hotel for my organisations end of year/Xmas lunch. What a surprise! The staff could not do enough for me from stepping out of my car. Assisting with all my packages and many offers of help. The receptions area/coffee lounge was lovely and very inviting. The room we had booked, the MacNeill was newly refurbished and looked fantastic how they had laid it out for us. Lots of little extras on tables, good choice of refreshments and lovely biscuits. The meal we had booked was excellent quality, hot and very tasty. Everyone commented how good the food was. All in all this venue is nothing like the old Bower Hotel and I would highly recommend it for a meal, afternoon tea or function. Staff in particular were very accommodating and helpful. In particular Phil and Corey were very professional whilst maintaining friendliness. Keep up the good work and nice to have some class in Oldham.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TheTorrington5
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel reception/dining areas are modern and welcoming. Staff were polite and friendly. Room (twin) was small but had everything needed in it.

A ten min walk gets you to the metro and fifteen mins to the city centre, however this was super busy. A taxi was about £15.

Good price with decent city access.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends