“Victoria Oldham”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Victoria Oldham”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Having stayed at the Victoria for four months, I would like to thank the staff for a wonderful stay. Nothing is too much trouble for this lot. We really were made part of the family. Don't have the eggs in the morning (unless scrambled) and don't have pie in the evening and you won't go far wrong. Everything else in the restaurant is to die for.Victoria, sort out the pies and eggs and you will be top of the list. Thanks to you all for a wonderful few months! I hope to be back soon. Ask for a refurbished part of the hotel, they are working their way through.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 days here from fri 23rd aug until mon 26th aug comfortable bed and pillows it was a warm weekend and we had to have the window open even with ear plugs in i could hear the traffic.

the only gripe I had was that there was only 3 plug sockets and they where near the dressing table so if you wanted to plug a few things in you couldn't if you can fit an extension in your bag take one and the lighting was quite dim even with 3 lamps on as there was no overhead light

There was a trouser press which I used and also an iron and ironing board plus built in hairdryer in the draw so that was a bonus

Tea coffee etc and biscuits

Reception area doubled as a lounge and bar but was lovely we had a drink on the fri night when we got back helpful friendly staff and the dining area looked lovely there are renovations going on but didn't affect us

Rooms very clean the only fault I had was there where a couloir of marks on the wall and tea stains near the headboard and a bit of black on the grouting on the bathroom and a stain on the shower curtain but it was minor and for what we paid for the room I can't moan overall very clean and it was a nice room

Breakfast a bit steep for us as it wasn't included and would of been about £20 but next door is a big morrisons cost us just over £12 for a big breakfast x 2 4 slices of toast x 2 and 2 cappuccinos

Further up from morrisons is a bridge you walk up the side of there and catch the metro link which literally takes about 6 mins to Victoria station we got a weekend pass for about £11 but on bank holiday sun the metro app said the trams where running till 12 they lied it was 10.35 we missed it by 5 mins and had to get a taxi which cost us £18

The drive home from Manchester wasn't as quick as the metro link but we spotted a few pubs which are at the top of the road from the hotel you just turn right there is also a subway etc

When leaving the hotel we had to turn left to get onto the motorway and within walking distance from the hotel is a beef eater called the white gate inn so you could get something to eat there if you don't want to pay the hotels prices

Hope this review helps people I would def stay again if I'm going to Manchester again

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Looking at the reviews for the hotel you would think it would be a really nice place but what a let down. I checked in with a wedding party that had just arrived. I could barely hear the receptionist through all the people stood in the reception/lounge area. What a bad idea that is.
I finally checked in, the room was average, didn't look like it did on the pictures but I was only there for one night.
I unpacked and went straight out as I was meeting colleagues.
When I arrived back around 9pm I decided to have a drink in the bar which I was told was actually the restaurant bar and was shown through to the lounge bar which consisted of 1 draft beer and mainly cocktails. The woman at the bar said she would get me another draft beer which was kind of her, but took a while for her to get back. People from the wedding kept wandering through the lounge area, kids running about. Not the atmosphere I wanted. I took my drink to bed and hoped for a good nights sleep. Most of the evening all I cud hear was people banging doors and the music from the party played until 1am. It finally stopped and I was able to sleep.
I hoped breakfast would be better and all I can say was it was another let down. Food less than average, 25 minute wait for bacon & eggs and an overcrowded room with more of the loud wedding guests that was just wandering around the breakfast room talking to each other, while I was sat right in the middle of it all.
On check out, the woman didn't even ask how my stay was, possibly because there was a queue to check or but nether the less usually that is a standard question.
A very detailed review, I know. But it was such a let down from the reviews I seen on here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Paul_124_t
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Had not visited since the hotel has been refurbished and is under new management. We did not stay but the place is becoming popular for weddings and functions now. The food is British and all freshly prepared and locally sourced which was definitely evident in our experience. Prices are resasonable and service is attentive and helpful. Our only minor niggle was that they did not have a wine list which seemed surprising for such a nice restaurant and hotel. We did mention this and they said it was under review. We also had a drink in the lounge area afterwards which has also been nicely done. They offer cocktails and the afternoon tea is very popular too. We plan to go again soon.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank paulac32
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

O would like to start by thanking all the lovely staff that made my best friend Stacey's wedding day so amazing! Julie you are a star! The reception staff so good with all the guests and us nervous bridesmaids! And the AJ, the Beverages Manager ("Bell Boy")! You absolute diamond!! Such a fantastic evening thank you for looking after the "naughty table" and me! Hehe...
From arriving on the Friday afternoon to leaving Sunday morning the hotel was fab! Staff, food, drinks and of course Bob in the tank!! Kept Little Miss Ellie entertained and all the other kids!
The rooms were good sizes! Air conditioning needed for us bridesmaids though especially when attempting to get the bride ready hehe...
Fantastic day, fantastic staff, fantastic hotel! Will be back again!! :D

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicki_84_38103
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Fantastic hotel with great staff and excellent service.
We were looked after by lovely staff yesterday, especially Julie who was working on the lounge bar, She was brilliant with my son Pawlo and is a credit to the hotel. We had a fabulous day celebrating the 60th Anniversary of our church and the hotel and grounds look beautiful after the renovation.
I will be back to sample the afternoon tea, very soon

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tcapewell
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Good hotel with excellent restaurant. Nice staff and beautiful internal garden. Rooms are of decent size. Location is very good, located on Manchester Ring Road with easy access to Manchester City. Room rate is very reasonable for hotel of such quality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family