“Restaurant Meal”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
greater Manchester
“Restaurant Meal”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We live locally so booked in the restaurant for a meal with my husband and two friends, on arriving the hotel and restaurant looked amazing.We were taken to our table on arrival and promptly ordred our meals ,starters arrived and were just ok, however when the first two meals arrived they were not ours. Then eventually after a long wait the first meal arrived a soggy microwaved pie, with very fresh vegetables . The other three meals arrived approximately 30 minutes later, mine had new pototes which had sprouted and brown/geyish colour, one of my friends meal was swimming in fat, the peppercorn sauce was lumpy and tasteless. I requested to speak to the manager who at that time was to busy, but on the third request he came over was very apologetic and said no charge for the food, the explantion was the were busy with two functions!!! The general manger rang to apologize the following day,but unfortunately as to date the promises have not been carried out. On the positive side the two waitresses worked extremely hard under very difficult circumstances

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank maureen s
LBayley, General Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Restaurant Guest,

It is somewhat disappointing that you have chosen to use two separate TripAdvisor reviews to address your complaints with our restaurant on 16/03/2013, after not only being compensated with approximately £100 worth of food and drink on the night, you also received a call from the duty manager the following day to obtain more details from yourselves to address with the relevant team members and management including myself and to apologise again for the events of the previous night.

Having looked at the call log for this particular call from the hotel to the guest and the handover diary, I can see that the particular male member of this dining party, believed to be Mr Arden informed the member of my management team that he did not always answer his phone or go on his email so it would be best to contact him my post, in which he did provide his address if we wanted to correspond further with him. He also states on the call that he was happy that compensation had been provided the evening before but he just wanted to make sure the details of his complaint also got passed on, which I can assure you did do so I am sure you can appreciate as to why we are somewhat perplexed as to why you believe you were informed you would receive further contact and what appears to be the belief of a further complementary meal. The only reference to a return visit to The Dining Room, was made when the member of my management team stated that she hoped this one off experience would not prevent them from returning.

Having received this feedback, I was not in a position to speak to the head chef, as he was on annual leave which is why our response is somewhat delayed, as despite your belief, we do believe in taking the time to investigate all complaints in detail and I am sure you will agree communicating with our head chef is key when receiving a food complaint. As you have provided the feedback via TripAdvisor, I believe it is appropriate that I address my findings in the same way.

Our head chef is very passionate, as I am sure you will agree, as on this evening you personally received contact from him to apologise for the delay in your mains, as the front of house team had mixed the tables up. Being experienced Diners, I am sure you will agree when I say it is rather unique that a head chef takes it upon himself during a busy service to come and speak with guests dining, you did however fail to mention this, which I personally believe shows our dedication to serving great quality food. We are aware there was a delay to your food being served due to the mix up of tables which categorically should not of happened, however, it is without belief that two experienced waiting team would of allowed a table to wait 30 minutes without all the table being served, as you have yourselves identified that the two waitresses worked very hard.

Our menu has been running for three months now and has been favourable received my both the local community and the hotel guests which is shown by other TripAdvisor reviews, as well as the fact that on the evening you dined, the restaurant did a further 57 restaurant covers and two functions equalling a further 350 guests without complaint on the quality of our food.
It is borderline slander that you imply our food is ‘farmfoods’ style, as we use reputable suppliers who are all identifiable and traceable and provide food to many similar establishments nationally. Being self proclaimed experienced diners, I am sure you will follow the media on food yield and will understand the business decision to use frozen chips at certain times of the year is due to the poor potato yield this year caused by extremes in weather, particularly heavy rainfall. Using frozen chips gives us more control in the consistency of the product, as you cannot be certain of the potato quality, as found with your new potatoes. With reference to other products tried, we do not use frozen ‘chicken dippers’ but in fact make our Goujons with chicken breast and breadcrumbs, our garlic and herb breaded button mushrooms are purchase directly from our suppliers but this is evident both in the product description itself and the price charged on the menu for the item, Olives are optional in a Nicoise Salad recipe and we do not include them, as they are not to everybody’s palate and we have designed a menu to hit a wider audience, primarily our hotel guests. Feedback from other diners on our Dauphinoise potatoes has been the opposite to that of yourselves, as the wider diner audience appreciates that a home-made Dauphinoise potato will have an element of butter and cream that rests on the plate when served.

It is evident that despite having a menu with over 40 dishes on that we cannot cater to everybody’s taste, as you state the menu is limited. Differing opinions are also backed up by the fact in one of your reviews a member of your party stated the hotel and restaurant looked amazing, yet in the second review is was stated that the restaurant was too bright.
We cannot apologise for having a menu which is popular and on the whole well received but are disappointed that your meals did not meet your expectations which are why your meals were complimentary on the night but would encourage others both in the local community and hotel guests to dine with us and decide for themselves.

Lynette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We live locally and went to the Bower many times for a meal, Christmas Day, Valentines Day, caberet nights, casual drinks etc. We even spent our wedding night there in 1977. There is no doubt that towards the end, the Bower was dreadful – scruffy, grubby, poor food, over-priced, rotten service. That is why we were delighted when it was taken over and refurbished as the Victoria. We’d heard good reports and the reviews on Trip Advisor seemed generally favourable. That is why we decided to give it a try.

First impressions are very good. The refurb has been carried out to a very high spec. The toilets in particular are a delight. We thought the restaurant area was too bright but this was offset by the opulence and decor.

We were shown straight to our table for four – we’d have preferred a drink in the bar but this was not offered. The menu is a bit limited but there was something for everyone. We ordered and I asked to see the wine list. I was told it was ‘out of date’ but I could see it any way. The wine I selected was unavailable but we did eventually get sorted. Then we waited …..

The starters arrived eventually. The chicken goujons were clearly cheap chicken ‘dippers’, the breaded mushrooms were obviously from a plastic bag, the poached pear with bacon and stilton sauce was very poorly cooked and presented and the salad Nicoise comprised watery lettuce with half a tine of cheap tuna flakes, a soft egg and a bit of onion and tomato – no black olives, no discernable dressing. All the hot dishes were cold. We ate them but alarm bells were ringing. Then we waited …..

After 25 minutes one main arrived. It had at one time been a steak and ale pie but it had been kept warm for so long it was greasy walnut coloured puff pastry on top of bone dry lumps of meat. Barely warm and oozing fat. The veg looked bright and fresh and was steaming hot. Then we waited …..

After 20 minutes mine and my partner’s mains arrived. I had ordered gammon with an egg, chips and onions rings. My partner had ordered sirloin with dauphinoise potatoes and veg. We got gammon with pineapple and a sirloin with chips and a salad. We pointed out that these were both wrong and they were taken away, walked round the restaurant a few times and eventually delivered to another table. The meal for the fourth member of the group hadn’t showed up yet. Then we waited …. the steak and ale pie now stone cold and congealed.

Then the gammon arrived looking mildly edible but accompanied by what appeared to be the cheapest frozen chips, cooked in dirty fat and kept luke warm for an eternity. They were greasy and flaccid. The onion rings (all three of them) were the cheapest frozen variety, again cooked in dirty fat and left to collapse and go cold. The gammon was edible but the rest was awful, really awful.

Two of the party had ordered steak and reported that it wasn’t bad but the sides were as bad as mine: the dauphinoise potatoes bled large quantities oil or butter or split cream (we’re not sure what but it was grease of some kind) and the new potatoes were dark brown and wrinkled, having been over-cooked and kept vaguely warm. They also appeared to be sprouting as they were greenish inside.

The steak pie by now had been sitting for 45 minutes and was untouched. I ate the gammon but left everything else. The two steaks were more or less eaten but everything else was left.

We asked to see the Manager but were told he was very busy so we waited another 20 minutes. Eventually he turned up and we told him/showed him how awful it had been. To give him his due he agreed completely. We said we would be happy to pay for the starters and our drinks but would not pay for the main course. He insisted that we didn’t pay for any of the food. We retired to the bar to finish our drinks and when I returned to the restaurant to pay for the drinks we were tod they were complimentary.

The day after I got a phone call from someone who appeared to be in charge wanting a full account of our experience. I gave an honest appraisal, explaining that we dine out often and know what to expect within a price range. We know the Victoria does not claim to offer fine dining. The person seemed very concerned and said they were going to investigate what had gone wrong before contacting me again to perhaps arrange another visit to give the Victoria the opportunity to make amends. They had my mobile number, home number and I gave my address.

To be fair to the Victoria, I decided to hold back my Trip Advisor review til after the second visit, hoping I would be giving a glowing account of how they had pulled it back from the brink. It is now over a week and I have heard nothing and have assumed that they have forgotten us. That’s fine.

The night we went they also had a family function on in another room and we assume the kitchen was too involved in preparing the buffet for that to produce anything worthwhile for the restaurant. If you can’t manage both, close the restaurant.

In our opinion, the food, even if cooked properly and delivered on time and warm, would still have been poor. Cheap ‘Farmfoods’ style frozen chips, onion rings, chicken dippers, breaded mushrooms, sprouting potatoes and everything in a layer of dirty grease is not what people expect or will tolerate from a restaurant.

So, Victoria Hotel, I’m afraid you had your chance to get back to me and would happily have shelved my review but your complaint handling – like your restaurant – appears to be poorly managed. You need to up your game. There is a lot of competition these days.

And in conclusion, when I read some of the glowing reviews about this establishment, I am astonished. I can honestly say, without hyperbole, that the meal we had (all four of us) was the worst restaurant experience we have ever had. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Don't eat here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nellya377
Dear Restaurant Guest,

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is a converted manor house with a new extension. There is extensive parking for guests so no worrying about limited availability and it is free! I have stayed for 10 days recently at the hotel. I found the staff welcoming and friendly. The rooms were well furnished, extremely clean and comfortable. I have stayed at other hotels and found a different experience. Here at the Victoria there is clearly pride taken with the cleanliness and attention to detail. The bathroom was faultless, the bedlinen was lovely and the bed comfortable and the pillows so fluffy it was a delight. There are family rooms on the ground floor which again are well furnished and clean. The bedding and beds are no different to any other room. The staff were friendly, approachable and willing to attend to any needs they could help with. They are smartly dressed in black and easily identifiable. I was informed by the deputy manager that the hotel is a training academy, bringing on and encouraging potential and this is clearly evident in the enthusiasm that I found with all the staff. Yes, the meal service can be a little slow, but this is an area they are working on. Meals can be changed to accommodate individual preferences, breakfasts are plentiful and filling, providing a combination of continental and cooked. I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable and clean. Family rooms are located on the ground floor and easily access...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lesley H
LBayley, General Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Lesley,

Thank You for providing The Victoria with such detailed and positive feedback.

Our team takes pride in our newly refurbished hotel and in particular the housekeeping team who work tirelessly to ensure that all our guests get a clean and comfortable room and I know they appreciate the kind words you have had to say about them.

We are also aware that from time to time our fresh cook kitchen can experience slight delays but as Corrie (deputy manager) identified with yourself, we are working on speed with our new team members as often pride in their work and the food they send out results in delays, as it will not leave the kitchen until they are happy with the product.

We look forward to seeing you on your return visit.

Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Wonderful hotel, Comfy rooms, lovely filling meals and brilliant staff.

Always enjoy every visit.

Been 4 weeks over the past 2 months and I am going again for a week tomorrow... If only my house was this nice!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Mark,

We like our guests to feel like The Victoria Hotel is a home from home, as we appreciate how mundane working away from home can sometimes be.

Our team are glad you look forward to visiting The Victoria and we can now keep you up-to-date with our news and offers following on from your facebook request.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

we live locally and called in for Sunday Lunch prior to Christmas 2012 - we waited 20 mins for a menu or anybody to ask us if we wanted a drink from the bar - staff could not have cared less - no choice or specials avaliable - 8 people walked out as they had waited over an hour for a plate of sandwiches - meal when it arrived was very uninspired

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jane l
Dear Jane,

It is disappointing to hear you did not have a great dining experience at The Bower Hotel.

Since you dined with us in December 2012, the hotel has undergone further regeneration and refurbishment including investment in team training and the recruitment of a new head chef.

I am sure if you read previous reviews since the re-brand to The Victoria Hotel, other guests have been complimentary about our new menu and the food we now offer.

I hope you give The Dining Room another opportunity to show you this was a one off and our food quality is now of a higher standard than The Bower Hotel.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Went for a meal at the victoria, not been since the renovation. the hotel and restaurant now look amazing. staff in the restaurant were very helpful and attentive. a young lady named jenny introduced herself and we was talking to her for a while, asking about the refurb. she was very polite and has a good knowledge of the hotel and its history. food was of a good standard, only down fall was the presentation could have been a little better. we had drinks at the bar area after our meal, and again had excellent service from the lady at the bar. but didnt get the lady's name. Only downfall is the staff are in need of a uniform vamp, nobody seemed to match, from reception to the bar, and name badges would be an advantage as i like to get to know the staff.
Will definatly be coming again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bernadette p
With regards to your specific feedback with regards to uniform, all our team wear plain black and anybody wearing different to this is a member of the management/supervisory team. We are however actively looking for a team uniform and name badges but have yet to find anything that fits with our new brand and the environment of the hotel.

All of our team are encouraged to give their names to guests and in the meantime of us sourcing our names badges, should you want to know anybodies names then please feel free to ask.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My brother and I travelled from scotland for a funeral in Oldham, We stayed at the Bower for two nights.The price for two nights was very good. The room was very spacious,with a double and single bed.The breakfast was very good. The staff at the Hotel are Excellent,from the girls in Reception,at Breakfast,to Paul the barman come waiter,he was funny and a credit to the Hotel. Would Recommend this hotel to anyone going to oldaham or Manchester. excellent stay.
Well done
Regards
William Cairns

Room Tip: We were in room 107,large room with ensuite,double and single bed,tea,coffee making facilities,trous...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello William,

Thank You for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor, it is unfortunate that you visited us in such circumstances but I am glad that our team made your stay as comfortable as possible in your circumstances.

I also know that Paul was particularly pleased to have his name specifically mentioned as we have read your kind comments for himself.

Lynette
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
The White Hart Inn at Lydgate

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!