“Great night”

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
“Great night”
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

our party of nine attended an all inclusive christmas party night on 8th December. We all had a great evening. The food was delicious, and the service was excellant. A great night had by all.
They were very generous with the food and drink and was definately value for money. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank pepsis07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Was part of same group as Debra K. Thought food was good and plenty of it.Similarly alcohol. Often - on these " all inclusive" parties you can tell that the spirits aren't quite what they say they are; not here though. All proper stuff, as was the wine, all of which flowed liberally. Also, thought staff very attentive and friendly.Can therefore reiterate Debra's comments and wholeheartedly recommend.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tony c
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had booked a private pamper party in the George Elliot suite it is incredibly classy. Staff catered to our every need. We had a meal in the restaurant and had a amazing time the food was delicious and was well presented. We had previously visited the hotel before the refurb and was amazed to see the difference AMAZING!! Then went up to the room we had a comfy nights sleep. In the morning we went down for breakfast I had full in English I was very tasty the service was very good! Definitely one to recommend for a polite,comfy and value for money stay. Great big thank you to Mandy!

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I just want to say a big thank you for the staff at the Bower who made our party night on Friday so good. The food was excellant and the all inclusive party was value for money. The dance floor was full all night and the atmosphere wonderful......highly highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Debra K
Reviewed December 2, 2012

we attended one of the christmas events. It was an all-inclusive night ie food and drinks included. We were given an all-inclusive 'band' to put round our wrists. Dont know why they bothered with this as it was a very military set-up. The meal started at around 8pm after complimentary drinks were served. With our meal we were all served with red and white wine . Before the meal was served it was announced by the D.J the rules of what to do and what not to do ie the bar wouldnt open until after the meal was finished, and also you had to take your glass back to the bar to get another one. On our table there were people who didnt drink wine but were unable to get a drink to their liking until the meal had finished. The sweet still hadnt been served at 10.30pm . By the time the 'bar' opened it was very late and then it closed at 1pm. When you did get to the bar they filled up the glass with coke if say you had a bacardi, when you then requested that you didnt drink it with that much coke in you were told you had to have that much in, unbelievable. I felt sorry for the guys who just wanted a pint with their meal. Quite a few people were angry about this , there wasnt even another bar that you could get a drink of your liking from. I would not recommend this for a christmas get-together. After my boss spending thousands of pounds for this occasion it should of been stress-free for everyone. We had also booked a room which was lovely but only got 2 t.v channels and after i had my shower my partner went for his only for the water in the shower to cut off. After ringing reception i was told that its because there will be a few people having one in other rooms at the same time and that it would come back on in a bit. Very poor but if run differently could of been a good night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank michelle m
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

after having our wedding reception in april 2012 i find it hard to believe how much a hotel can decline in everything, we arrived to a fantastic makeover of the hotel reception and function rooms, sadly the good stops there,we were led to the elizabeth suite,for our 8pm meal,there were crackers on table, but not one decoration anywhere,when all were seated the dj then announced that no one can go to the bar while food was being served,staff will bring your drinks to table,ok you might think, but no you had to drink out of a wine glass thats ok if you drinking wine but if like me and many others there we drank lager/bitter i find that unacceptable,when soup starter arrived we politely asked what it was only to be told i dont know im only waiting on tables, the main meal was roast turkey,the new potatoes were hard,the roast i think were cooked hours before and to make it worse served on cold plates,the dessert,cheesecake and strawberry were still frozen,thankfully at approximately 1040 pm the dj then announced two tables at a time as he called you,to go to the bar as it was now open but take your wine glass or you will not recieve a drink despite being given wristbands for all inclusive,we found the dress code of staff innappropriate as one of staff had a sweater only and no shirt, finally i would like to say we am so glad we had our wedding reception in april which was fantastic had it been next april we would be cancelling regardless of how much we may lose as there is no way we would take anybody there to eat at that hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AlisonandDavid L
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was visiting family in the area so hose the Bower for its ideal location. Unfortunately that was the only good thing I can say about this hotel . It used to be owned by the Devere group (although many years ago) & I remember that this was one of the top hotels round, but in my opinion its not any more.
I called the hotel to verify some information from the website about the renovated rooms & I was told that the info was wrong & the price was more expensive so after a discussion With the reception thy said " on this occasion we will check the price & book you in if we find the price on the Internet to be as I said" I felt like they were accusing me of lying .
They eventually confirmed my booking by email & we arrived 6 days later & were given our keys.
We went into the allocated room & it looked like a dingy Dss rental room . There was wallpaper falling off the wall , holes in the wall , the wardrobe was falling over, the big old box type tv had only 2 working channels & to top it off there was a dumping area full off old broken furniture & building materials outside the window.
I called reception & a woman came & told me there was no other rooms due to a big boxing fight in Manchester which had filled the hotel up so thy decided to open the disused part of the hotel up to guests so they could cater for more people. I said I would not Stay in this room & asked to see the manager. After 20 mins the assistant manager came & also said they had no other rooms until I asked for my money back then he miraculously found us a different room.
We checked this room out & they said they would move us the next day to the renovated room that we had booked . We agreed because the day was getting late and as long as we were moved the next day.
We went out or the evening & came back then decided to watch some tv but again only 2 channels. It was a cold night & I attempted to put the heating on but that was nothing more than tepid.
At 2:30 I was awoken by water from the rain dripping on my bed from a leaking roof after diverting the drips to a towel I went back to sleep to be awoken at 4am by late night revellers who had come back from the boxing. At 5am they went quiet but at 8am ish we were woken by the fire alarms going off . I asked at reception & they just said " don't worry false alarm"
We went out for the day & came back to our refurbished room. It looked ok and we decided to relax before going out again . I am so bored of writing this now so in short, radiator had no heat, heater to replace was very noisy, toilet would not flush properly,tv channels (no signal).......... I paid £172 for 2 nights so i spoke to the reception manager before I left & she did not take the reminder of my balance £86, as a good will gesture .
I hope that this was a one off but I got the feeling that they saw an opportunity to make some money from the boxing & were not bothered about the customer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cheggers99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,526 reviews

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!