“Found one”

Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Oldham
Reviewed May 28, 2013

As a regular visitor to the Oldham area this is a find , a real hotel . Good facilities ,free wifi, comfortable bed,a restaurant that has fish and knows what a salad is . Beats the Premier/Travel hostels any day and at around the same price. I'll be back .

Room Tip: 5th floor rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SimN
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. I really appreciate the comment about us being a real hotel. We pride ourselves on being individual and not just one of a corporate chain like many of the other local hotels in the area. We are privately owned and can react to feedback, as we do what is best for our guest at our hotel and don't have to conform to a large brand.

We are a member of BEST WESTERN, who only allow members that meet a certain standard but they encourage individuality which is very refreshing.

Our eat@smokies restaurant is only 2 months old but we are always listening to guests feedback for the next new menu and our daily specials.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Me & My partner stayed here for the weekend (17th-19th May). We loved it. From the moment we walked in to the moment we left we felt all staff treated us the way any quest should be treated. This made our stay more enjoyable as I am a memeber of staff for Best Western.

The receptionist was lovely, when asked If we could have an upgrade to exec room (BWR card) she carried the request through without any problem at all. Our room... well .... amazing! The bed was so comfy, though the first night i swear I saw a ghost/figure in my room, which then I woke my boyfriend up scared to death haha!

We ate dinner in "EAT" and both our starters and mains were fab! The price was not too bad for what we had and we both really really enjoyed it!! The girl who was working that night, long black hair in a pony tail with a quiff type thing at front was super. Really friendly.

The second night we decided to eat out as there was a big wedding party in the conference room. Which by the way looked lush! on our return to the hotel we had a drink in the bar area. Both of the guys working behind the bar on Saturday night tried their best to make sure we got the service we deserved and had paid for though the women at the bar trying to chat them up and flirt with them made it a bit tricky for them. They did well though.

Breakfast on the Sunday morning, Yummy! Though had to wait until we finished our b'fast to actually get asked if we wanted tea/coffe/toast. We did get told they would be over with us shortly and then they forgot. Maybe have a coffee machine/toaster for guests to help themselves too!

Overall, we WILL be back! Excellent & very very enjoyable stay. Thank you to all! :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jadeecoupar

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for your review. It was so nice to hear that your enjoyed so many parts of our hotel and the team that looked after you. I feel most proud of how you were looked after from every team member that served you. The night team do have a very hard job managing large groups of party guests and also giving all the other guests their attention. I am pleased they achieved this in difficult circumstances.

Thank you for dining with us at eat@smokies for your evening meal and breakfast. I shall pass on your kind comments to the chef and team. Sorry to hear you did not get offered a drink or toast until the end of your breakfast and take on board your suggestion about machines front of house for guests to help themselves.

I shall let everyone know how much you enjoyed you stay

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here at business rates although last minute rates seem a lot cheaper. Just off the busy Ashton Road, this is a quiet haven mainly full of business people like me during the week. Large comfortable room with bath/shower, fully equipped tea/coffee and bottled water provided. I had a very quiet night although I did overhear others complaining about noisy revellers late at night- there was a party set out in the dining room when I went into eat. Breakfast was a good selection of hot and cold (fruits yoghurts etc) and you could order a variety of eggs, fish etc.
I ate in the hotel in the evening - reasonable prices but a bit pub fare and certainly not fine dining.

If you use the satnav to get back onto the M60, do not use shortest route to get to the M6 - mine took me on a guided tour of Oldham and manchester just to cut off a large bend on the motorway - at 8.30 in the morning, this was very frustrating!

Room Tip: Stay at the back in the block where reception is and away from the car park.
1  Thank BladderedBath

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you liked the hotel, your room and the breakfast. I am not sure if you ate in the bar or our new eat@smokies restaurant, but I am pleased you found the menu good value. Our restaurant has a full main menu with many classic dishes and also a daily specials board with a good choice of starters, mains and desserts. We are presently rolling out a new bar menu, which will go live later this month.

Sorry you have problems with your satnav in the morning. If any one needs help with directions then please contact reception, who will be pleased to help. Noise from other guests is very rare during the week, as the majority of our guests are away on business. Weekends are mainly leisure guests, but we do have a good sized hotel to allocate groups and individual guests in different parts of the hotel as best we can to help everyone enjoy their stay.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

i would definitely not use this hotel again. the service is very poor at the reception lady called stell had a very bad attitude not with only myself but customers who arrived for a wedding. i have bin told by herself that they keep both(passport and driving license) of my ids for 6 years asked why she replied for any inquires which instantly i knew she dose not have a clue about data base protection act. the rooms and atmosphere

Room Tip: executive rooms could do with touch ups and air conditioners. this hotel keeps ur id for 6 years whi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Younis K
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I always like to give an honest reply to my guests reviews, as I feel it is important to learn from our mistakes and make all guests aware of what we are doing to rectify them.

On this occasion, I feel your comments are not an accurate picture of what actually happened. Stef is my Reception Team Leader and is very good at her job. We do have to take copies of guests I.D's, when they pay cash and keep them on file. This is our company procedure and has always been in place. We have to protect ourselves and all guests in the hotel, which means full clarity of ID is required when paying by cash.

I would also have to dispute your comments regarding her bad attitude towards you and other wedding guests. I have investigated the situation with Stef and reviewed our CCTV and found that when you checked in and out, there were no other guests present in reception. We did have a large wedding on the night in question and I worked that shift until 3am in the morning and then again the following day. The wedding was a great success and we have not had a single complaint form any of the guests.

I am sorry that you took offence in having to have a copy of your ID taken and kept on file but I feel Stef dealt with the situation in a professional manner.

I take guest feedback very seriously and investigate all points raised each time myself, enabling me to deliver a clear and rounded response.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Pleasant and helpful reception staff, which is a basic but really important customer service. Bedroom needs a bit of an upgrade, though I understand hotel is undergoing a cyclical refurbishment. A good power shower is really a basic requirement but the shower in my room was old, feeble and fixed-head, so essentially useless. Would recommend that all bathrooms are upgraded to a decent shower as a priority.

Suggestion: it would be helpful if the hotel could provide a road number as well as postcode for sat navs - I ended up in Oldham town centre!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that the team looked after you and were helpful. You are right that this should be a basic requirement but I am pleased that we do it well, as I know, as a customer, that many businesses do not.

I am sorry that your shower & bathroom were not one of our refurbished ones. As you mentioned, we are carrying out a refurbishment program and have just had the sign off from the owner for a further 6 new bathrooms.

I will look into the road number issue and will use it if there is one. I really don't want our guests getting lost before they arrive.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay very helpful & pleasant staff loved the room very comfy bed hot shower loads of complementory
items especially the bottles of water left every day in the room really enjoyed the breakfast too. I would gladly stay again

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank annietbooth
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review. I will share with the team your kind comments about the service, the comfort of the room and breakfast. I'm glad you enjoyed you stay and the complimentary bottled water each day.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we see you again soon

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very clean nice rooms the bathroom was a little bit tired but had been re-tiled recently
The staff were professional and friendly.
The breakfast was good. My only complaint was You had to walk up to the bar to get a cup of tea or coffee and I felt it was a bit dangerous people walking Around carrying hot beverages. We much prefer a pot on the table!
The sauna was not working though I am sure they Would switch it on on request and the size of the gym.. It was tiny. 4 people in it and it would be overcrowded.

• Stayed: May 2013
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We do our best to keep all rooms to the same standard, which is a never ending job. We had 5 rooms painted this month, with new curtains, cushions and bed runners. Our bathrooms are all reviewed and worked on to make sure them remain fresh and clean.

I will pass on your comments about the self service style tea and coffee set up. We run this style at the weekend due to the high volume of guests all coming to breakfast at the same time(normally after a night out). Thanks for letting me know your view on this

The sauna and steam room are not on unless requested and am sorry that you were not informed of this. We do this to be "Green", as it is a waste to have them on all the time when often they are only used by a few guests

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Clough Manor
Clough Manor
#1 of 1 in Denshaw
Premier Inn Oldham (Broadway) Hotel

Been to Best Western Hotel Smokies Park? Share your experiences!