“Cheap but good”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
Daventry, United Kingdom
“Cheap but good”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

For ��25 a night I have no complaints. We stayed there for convenience after a gig at the Manchester Arena so we arrived back late but the bar and reception were still open and the staff were friendly and helpfull. The rooms are basic but clean. Hot water comes out of the tap, the bedrooms were warm and reasonably comfortable and everything worked.
Its cheap but honestly better than a premier or travelodge, so good value. I appreciate what the other reviews are saying about this being occasionally not the best hotel but it is a low cost option and at ��25 it is well worth the price. If you want fancy go elsewhere but if all you want is bed and a shower and a functional but friendly hotel it is excellent value.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sevenways
James R, Guest Relations Manager at 247Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave feedback. It is much appreciated and I will ensure it is passed on to the staff for encouragement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
darwen
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel states check in at 12 mid day. we arrived at five past and our room was not ready. After waiting an hour in reception I had to go and ask how much longer we would be waiting. I was told they had been shouting us, we were sat 5 feet away and no one either shouted or approched us to let us know.

On entry into the room on the 4th floor, it was very basic, the wardrobe doors were missing and a drawer front,we were only there one so night so ok for a base. On arrival back to the hotel in the evening, we were unfortunate to get caught in the rain and we were both wet through.

The heater in the room did not work and we had to get into bed to stay warm.

Breakfast the following morning would have been nice had it been hot. cold rubber scrambled eggs cold bacon warm beans and sausage. We ended up having cereal and toast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
James R, Guest Relations Manager at 247Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for leaving you feedback. We appreciate all feedback and take it all seriously. Our maintenance team have seen to your room and reported that the heater is fully functional. I don't know if you let us know on the night, but if you had we would have done our best to find a solution. I will ensure all the feedback is passed on to the relevant departments, as we have already with the heater, and we will ensure that action is taken to rectify the issues. I do apologise for the issues you have mentioned. We do hope to see you again and we will work on fixing all the issues you have mentioned.

Travelers are raving about these Oldham hotels

dublin
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed for 1 night 6th April,When i stayed the hotel had changed hands from the Travelodge Hotel to the 747 Hotel.
I thought the hotel was a Derelict Building When i first arrived,The annex to the hotel had all the windows covered with chipboard,but Staff assured me it was a work in progress,

The front of house staff were the best you will ever meet really warm and friendly people a credit to the hotel.
Room were large, warm, bed was comfortable but roomd needed some modernizing,
Free wi fi, good location, would go back .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for leaving your a review. We are doing improvements to all the facilities and it is still on going. We hope to see you again and we wish you all the best.
Scotland
Reviewed October 26, 2013

plus points and minus points but overall would not stay here again

We booked a Quadruple room (double plus two singles) as we have two teenagers. On arrival we were told the singles were folded under the double bed and would need to be assembled - by us! I am on medication for my back and had just been driving for the last 7 hours so the receptionist said that on this occasion she could get the janitor to put the beds up but "it's not normal policy for us to put the beds up, that's just the way it is".

The room looked basic but clean, however the double bed and both bedside cabinets needed moving out of the way to get the singles beds out from underneath. The receptionist then offered us an "upgrade" - for an extra charge. We accepted as it meant we were moved to a suite with two rooms and the beds were already made up.

The two rooms were plenty big enough and had good size windows to let lots of light in. The beds were clean, the bathroom was clean, there were enough clean towels and extra pillows and there was a kettle, tea/coffee plus a tv in both rooms, though one remote. All plus points

Minus points
- The carpet did look hoovered but was very grubby looking and there was a large reddish stain in one area - we kept our socks on at all times.

- The curtains were stained with something. The main room could be seen into from the car park and was overlooked by plenty of other buildings but there were no net curtains so we kept the curtains closed at all times.

- The walls were grubby and marked.

- The heaters gave off a strange metallic smell, we didn't dare leave them on whilst we were out the room.

- No telephone in the room to contact reception

We put up with the above minus points and resolved not to stay there again, personal choice but I would have put the same review as I have just done as it wasn't absolutely awful.....

HOWEVER!

We cut our stay short and booked out a day early because as we were getting ready to go out for the day a MOUSE ran out from my shoes, through my daughters legs and then under the double bed!!!

When I told reception (same woman who booked us in) she just said matter of factly "oh, dear I'll have to call pest control". I said I wanted a refund so the receptionist called the manager - then came off the phone and promptly handed me one nights stay in cash.

The manager didn't come to see us and the receptionist didn't seem shocked by the situation so I can only presume that this has happened before.

We will definitely not being using this hotel again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Redrose42
James R, Guest Relations Manager at 247Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. We are sorry about the minus points you experienced. We have a maintenance staff who has been going around repainting and ensuring all the facilities are working correctly. I apologise that the manager was unable to see you on the day, as they were tied up with prearranged commitments. At the first available moment she did however call out pest control to come out immediately. They came out the same day and ensured us that they have done more than enough to resolved the issue. Again I do apologise for the not so good experiences you had, and we will ensure that things are taken care of. We do hope to see you again and we will strive to ensure you have a better experience if you do stay again.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

My daughter stayed here as she was doing an induction at Oldham Hospital and needed a base before her flat was ready to move in to. We were greeted by a helpful member of staff when we checked in and she even asked if my daughter wanted a room nearer reception as she was on her own. She was happy to stay in the room which had been booked, which was spacious and clean. The bathroom was also large and there were tea and coffee making facilities plus free wifi. She ate there a few times and said they were good value although not fantastic. She said all the staff had been friendly and access to the hospital was straightforward. All in all a very good value hotel with friendly staff and clean rooms. She would definitely stay again and would recommend it to others.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kevin P
Thank you for leaving a comment. It is much appreciated. We hope to see you again.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stay regularly here whilst working away from home. The rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped, I can see there is an ongoing upgrading of facilities over the time I have been staying here. The beds are clean and very comfortable. Food is available at unsociable hours and quite generous portions and tasty for bar food, and very cheap. Breakfast is also very generous and cheap. . The staff make it feel like a home from home and will go all out to make your stay comfortable and pleasant. There are two drawbacks only for me, sometimes the car park close to the entrance to the hotel is full, and I don't feel very comfortable walking in rain and dark to get to reception, and the other is that it can be noisy at times depending on which room you are allocated. If there is a problem the management will do their best to rectify it

Room Tip: Away from the reception as can be noisy when smokers outside