“great for kids old and young!”

Bury Art Museum & Sculpture Centre
Ranked #17 of 38 things to do in Bury
More attraction details
Owner description: Housed in a distinctive Edwardian building, Bury Art Museum offers a welcoming, warm and friendly setting for visitors to enjoy art, (old and new), and discover the rich history of Bury and the surrounding area. Highlights from the art collection include 'Calais Sands' and 'Ehrenbreitstein' by JMW Turner; 'Spring Morning, Haverstock Hill' by Sir George Clausen; 'Different Horizons', blue neon light piece by Maurizio Nannucci; and 'Revolution of the 19th Century' and 'Essential Elements' by Pavel Buchler. On the lower ground floor is a dedicated contemporary museum space which hosts a vibrant temporary exhibition programme based upon the museum's archaeology, ethnography, natural history, costume and social history collections. This inspiring programme is supported by a wide range of family friendly activities and events which run throughout the year. The Art Museum is also home to Bury Art Shop, which offers original artwork, jewellery and crafts at affordable prices, and Tina's Tea Room which serves delicious coffee, tea, soups, sandwiches and cakes. Contemporary Art and International Touring Exhibitions Committed to innovation, Bury Art Museum works with artists on a regular basis, and hosts the Text Festival which is an internationally recognized event investigating contemporary art practices including, poetry, text art, sound art and performance. Bury Art Museum also houses the Text Art Archive: the largest dedicated collection of original works of Language Art in the country. The Text Art Archive's aim is to stimulate critical thinking and writing in the field around the subject.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and daughter went to see the football so my son and myself went for a wonder and stumbled up on the gallery. We spent a good 2 hours in there doing various activities. My son is 14 so quite hard to keep him interested and away from his laptop!

2  Thank milsos

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a small museum with changing exhibitions. Always beautifully displayed and with helpful staff who like to chat about exhibits.
On the ground floor there is a small shop selling cards etc but don't think that is all there is. There is a wonderful art shop on the first floor. Prices are often reasonable for one off pieces. The museum is in the basement and has changing exhibitions of local interest. Everything is worth seeing. There is a lift.
The attendant was happy for me to leave all my shopping with him while I looked around.

1  Thank christine k
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Nice museum and art gallery. Very old fashioned feel to it as its an old building. The steps up to the gallery from the entrance look a few hundred years old. I prefered the museum how they had it years ago. It's very " modern" now. All trendy and minimalist. U used I visit regually as a child and lived the train track that moved when u out twenty o in, the old war time displays and products, the barber shop sign Etc. all this has gone unfortunately. Free to get in so well worth a look though ..

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The last time we went we thouroughly enjoyed it. Great selection of things to see besides all of the wonderful art they have a great museum!! Well worth the visit!

2  Thank calliann
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I hadn't been to the Art Gallery since I was a teenager. Though I visit Bury often when I had considered it recently they were doing it up. I loved it when I was younger and I still love it. Favourite pictures were still, there the staff were friendly and explained some of the exhibits etc without being overpowering. I shall be going again next wekk infact!

1  Thank MaryWhitley