“I just had to have second helpings”
Review of The Black Bull

The Black Bull
Ranked #18 of 374 Restaurants in Bury
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Chris, Christine and the team would like to welcome you to the Daniel Thwaites's Black Bull situated on the outskirts of Bury, close to Ainsworth Village. We believe in the traditional English Pub offering a warm and hospitable atmosphere, where you can meet up with family and friends, have a good chat and enjoy great service, Award winning ales and fantastic home-cooked English food from our friendly staff. Since taking over the pub in 2011, we have achieved an enviable reputation for great food, service & beer. This has been recognised by the fact that we have won several awards, including Thwaites Pub of the Year 2012 Thwaites Best Pint 2013 Great British Pub Awards Best Partnership Pub in the North West 2013 Great British Pub Awards Best Cellar in the North West 2012 Good Beer Guide Cask Marque accredited We have a Smoking Canopy and a Beer Garden at the rear of the car park which is stocked with lovely flowers throughout the summer. All major credit cards are accepted. Our motto is quite simple: "Real Ales, Real Food, Real Pub" We look forward to seeing you soon Chris & Christine
Southampton
“I just had to have second helpings”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Whilst staying at the Premier Inn in Bury (see my review) I decided to try a meal at The Black Bull as recommended by tripadvisors. First let me say no way is it in Bury, you have to catch the 510 Bolton bus from Bury bus station, its about 15 minute Journey you know when you are getting there the bus goes into a valley and climbs up the other side when you get to the top the bus stop just before the pub, dont worry if you miss the bus stop the next bus stop is just past the traffic lights as the bus turns right. Is it worth the trouble getting in there , the answer is yes , on the first night I had the home made Cheese and onion pie with fresh vegetables , all I can say cooked to perfection and reasonably priced. The busses in the evening leave the pub 30 minutes passed each hour . I enjoyed the meal so much I went back the second evening and had a diffrent meal," wonderful." I took the 18:20 bus from Bury and was able to have a meal there , if you go later I strongly advise phoning up to reserve a table as where you dine there is about 10 tables to advoid dissapointment.

3 Thank scillybishop

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food-Big Portions”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We came here with family (all adults) a few weeks back and had a lovely meal. The staff told us it was going to be a half hour wait on food, which was absolutely no problem whatsoever, and the dishes actually came before this allocated time, which was great. I had an absolutely gigantic pork chop, which was lovely, and everyone else enjoyed their food immensely. There were fishcakes, a rather hefty steak and ale pie and a nice looking fish pie. The portions are pretty substantial, so if you are hungry then you are in luck. I had to move tables due to the fact that there were wasps buzzing around my plate and I am allergic to them, but that is absolutely unavoidable in hot weather. We would most certainly return as everything was spot on.

1 Thank Lucy H
Heywood, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“the mellors”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Could not fault the food,the service ,or the beer. What more can u ask for! Pick up the phone and book now. You wont be disapointed.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank themellors123
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Excellent restaurant quality food in a traditional Pub at Pub prices. Everything you would expect from a well run pub with a fantastic menu. And the Standard of the food beats all expectations , well worth a visit you made need to book our last visit was on a Tuesday and it was very busy.

bolton,england
“Good food spoiled by cramped surroundings.”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our first visit as a couple.The first impression was it is very small made smaller by using all the available tables for meals.We booked for 6pm and you are allowed a 2 hour slot.This may seem enough but we like to take our time.Also we may as well have been sat with the couple next to us as we were so close.It does get busy but not a place to go for a family meal unless you book a later time.The food however was very good albeit from a small menu choice and reasonable value for money.The place itself is needing a refurb as it is a bit dark.

• Visited August 2013