“Excellent value, great leisure facilities, nice breakfast”

Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bury
england
“Excellent value, great leisure facilities, nice breakfast”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights with family. Great swimming pool, gym and squash courts. Decent size family room. Note that some of the doubles are refurbished so it is worth requesting one at check in.

Stayed here quite a few times and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Birmingham U.K
Reviewed June 30, 2009

First room I was given wasn't made up - in fact it looked as if it had been vandalised ! so a great start. Staff resolved the matter in minutes. Comfortable room , pleasant bar and very handy for the motorway.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Northamptonshire
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Just got back from our stay at the Village hotel for the Bank Holiday weekend and was most disappointed! Had been eagerly looking forward to it for weeks, having spent out a little more to stay somewhere nicer than a Premier Inn, etc. We checked in at reception, which is quite impressive-very modern and classy, just like the photo's on the website. Got our key to our standard dbl and that's where it all went wrong!! We opened the door to our room and thought we had been transported to a tacky BB about 30 years out of date!! The decor of the room was shocking, we were missing a sofa and it definately did not look like the pictures shown online!! I quickly headed down to Reception and told them what I thought-no way was I staying somewhere which I wouldn't pay £40 p/n let alone £90!! I was aware (from speaking with housecleaning) that there was a new block and asked to be moved. Luckily there was a superior room free and I had to pay an upgrade charge!! We hot-footed it to our new room. some distance away and down two lifts and felt like a mile away. The new room was ok, still nothing like what we had seen and not what I would class as Superior. The bathroom was very basic, take your own toiletries as you only get one hand soap, one loo roll and one shower gel. We didn't even get a hand-towel.
It's a shame, the restaurant and breakfast were great, but the hotel falls down on the bedrooms. If you're going for a treat, stay at a Premier one down the road!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 24, 2009

The entrance was promising, with mighty stairs leading up to the Hotel and a trendy, friendly reception. The bar looked great and also the restaurant looked like potentially great steak house. As I walked down the corridor to my room on the first floor, it dawned on me the "funky" modern style to the hotel I was greeted with would be staying on the ground floor. I could now be in a 15 year Travel Lodge. The room echoed this with lazy colors and more then adequate ware and tare. The bathroom had a pungent musky smell to it, with grouting missing from the floor tiles. Fortunately it was to be one night stay, any longer I would ofF checked out and found a more modern, cleaner hotel.
I have to say the staff were extremely helpful and friendly before i carry on.
The restaurant was terrible! I had a Fillet Steak Medium. It came out tough, over cooked and with a pepper sauce that started to develop a skin like substance on top. If this was Weatherspoon prices I would of grin and bared it. However when paying £20,00 for a main dish, this unacceptable. No wonder the restaurant was empty.
This potentially could be a very good hotel, however it seems to be leaning on the theory that beauty is only skin deep.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank WharfGoer
Bolton
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I stayed here with my partner for his birthday,staff were lovely when we arrived, room was really nice, overall they stay was nice. The problem started when we left the hotel. I know it was my fault that I left a Brand NEW dress in the wardrobe but I honestly thought that if I rang the hotel they would be able to find it and I would then go and pick it up. Not a chance! after countless phone calls to the hotel, I am still no nearer to getting my dress back.The cleaner has said there was nothing left in the room so they cant do anything. It has now been passed to the police to handle, I realise this may seem petty but it is still theft and there must be more than 1 person that forgets something.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dressforgetter
newcastle
Reviewed February 8, 2009

On arrival the hotel reception staff could not have been nicer they explained about breakfast. They then explained about the leisure club and pool times as I had a child with me. Within a couple of minutes I was going up to the room. The room was what you would expect from a hotel chain but there was a large flat screen TV which was lovely to watch whilst lying in bed. The bed was very comfortable with the best pillows I have ever had in a hotel, this resulted in a great nights sleep. My only concern was the bathroom, as I have a disability I requested a room to suit me and was allocated a room that was suitable for wheelchairs. Indeed it was there was plenty of space and the bathroom was huge with grabrails around the WC and the sink was accessible for a wheelchair, but there was a high step to get into the shower and there was no seat inside, I found this a little odd as if I had have been in a wheelchair I proberbly would not be able to get in let alone stand to shower, as it was I struggled to access it and getting out was really bad as there was no grabrail on the outside. Breakfast the next morning was totally stress free. We arrived about 9.10am and it was fairly quiet. We were shown to out table and was given a good explaination of what was on offer and where to find it. Food was very nice and there was plenty of it, and there were helpful staff on hand if you needed anything. The leisure club was very nice but on the morning we went the heating was not working so the changing rooms, showers and pool hall were all quite cold. The pool was ok but not to the usual temperature, this did not bother us to much and by the time we came out the showers had started to get a little warmer. Check out was very easy and again the reception staff were very friendly.

• Liked — The beds and the pillows
  • Disliked — Access to the shower
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
bristol
Reviewed February 1, 2009

Incredibly helpful staff changed booking at short notice to accomodate my daughter coming from France to join my son and I at a wedding in nearby Bolton. She got caught up in French train strike and reception staff were able to help her check her return travel arrangements on line.
They found a catholic church for my son to attend, found a sewing kit when my dress unravelled an hour before we had to leave, helped us book a taxi and when the driver had never heard of the wedding venue looked it up on the internet so we has the postcode for the drivers sat nav.
The room was clean and big enough even with a large teenager on the sofa bed, the pool was an unexpected delight and the food in the Verve restaurant good (although the service was very slow).
Would recommend highly

• Liked — Helpful staff lovely leisure facilities
  • Disliked — Reception area is very dark
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury
Premier Inn Manchester Bury Hotel
Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Bury? Share your experiences!