“It's not a budget hotel is it?”

Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bury
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“It's not a budget hotel is it?”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

So lets not be to down about this, its a village hotel. They do what they say, they've a gym a restaurant and a bar and are generally a good stay especially if you're on business. Everyone is always polite in my experiences and the rooms are well, clean enough and it's all still practical even if its starting to be on the expensive side for what it really is these days. It's very rare that I have a bad stay but there again not really an excellent one either. it just does the job, but is starting to verge on budget even if the price isn't.

Room Tip: Try 3rd floor where it's generally quieter and not at the back where the air con fans sit as it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your feedback on the hotel.

If there is any element of your stay you would like to discuss in particular, or as a repeat customer feel we could improve upon please feel free to call me directly on 0871 222 4576.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Starbucks and gym with hotel tacked onto it! No facilities. Not children friendly. Expensive upgrade. Poor service. Unfriendly. My girls came away feeling room not turned or cleaned. Rude staff at breakfast. Poorly managed. Dirty gym lockers. Kids not allowed in spa. No signs saying so.

Stayed December 2013
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience.

I am sorry that it appears you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. If you would like to discuss any element of your stay further please do not hesitate to get in touch on 0871 222 4576.

Oundle
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We were looking for a short break and some shopping combined with picking stepson up from uni. I chose this hotel as it accepts tesco clubcard vouchers, has good leisure facilities and was the closest I could find on route to Lancaster university. I expected good things in view of the De Vere brand.

We received a very friendly welcome and check in was very efficient. The room was adequate however, the decor was very dark and a little depressing. I'd completely forgotten about the likelihood of Christmas parties in the hotel so rather than a quiet peaceful time it was rather busy. Our room was on the side away from the parties however, we could still hear the boom boom of the music which kept my partner awake until 1am. We mentioned this the following morning and were immediately offered a room in the annex. We transferred our belongings and felt confident of a good nights sleep. This room was much bigger with a sofa, large bathroom, view of the river and much lighter decoration. Very pleasant.

We decided to go into Bury for shopping just a couple of minutes away, rather than Manchester 30 mins by metro. All the normal shops available and very pleasant. We returned early to watch the football on the large screen tv in the hotel.

I had an excellent nights sleep, unfortunately my partner was woken in the early hours by party goers standing outside our room discussing the merits of using the fire escape. He was woken again later on by police helicopters hovering overhead and then again by more party goers returning at 5.30am.

Breakfast was disappointing and the food a poor quality. I enjoyed the fruit salad and the scrambled eggs however, the rest was mediocre. No muesli, croissants were stale. I drink green tea however, they didn't have any left so was offered peppermint instead. They still didn't have green tea on morning 2.

We will not stay here again even without the Christmas parties. Wouldn't recommend it either as it's not value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the annex if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to add your review on your recent stay at the hotel.

I am sorry you felt the hotel did not measure up to your expectations on this occasion. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please feel free to call me on 0871 222 4576.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed at the Village in Bury on the 13th December as we were having out work's Xmas party there. Check in was quick and the staff on the front desk were helpful and friendly so I was impressed until I got to the room. I was sharing with a colleague from the office so we decided to get a family room with a sofa bed but when I got up to the room there was a note on the sofa bed saying that it was broken. Annoyed I still tried to put the sofa bed up but failed and as I had already unpacked I decided it would be easier to just share the double bed. The room itself was larger than expected and had modern fixtures. It was clean but not spotless as I noticed a lot of the fixtures were pretty dusty. I wasn't going round looking for dust I need to point out, I just happened to notice as I was unpacking. The bathroom was clean but the water pressure on the shower was almost non existent. In the morning I went downstairs for breakfast and the food was nice enough and had a decent selection but the glass for my juice was chipped. Overall I wasn't impressed with this hotel and wouldn't stay here again by choice. I know Village hotels are a budget chain and I don't expect them to be in the same class as Hiltons but there were just a lot of things that could have been a lot better for the money I paid.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David P
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay at the hotel.

Customer service is something we take very seriously so I am pleased you noticed this upon your arrival. I am sorry it appears the rest of your stay did not appear to be of the same calibre.

If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please feel free to call me on 0871 222 4576.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Having previously spent quite a few nights at this hotel I was quite disappointed upon my rerun after 3 years.

My colleague booked an upper deck room 3 days before me however when we checked in she was told there were non available, yet I was placed in one.

The restaurant menu has got smaller and the selection not very good. I asked to not be placed above the bar as from experience you can hear everything and true to form when the staff were clearing up in the early hours of the morning, I could hear them dragging the chairs across the floor.

The only improvement that I could see was the inclusion of Starbucks in reception and my room

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of the hotel.

I am sorry you felt the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please feel free to call me directly on 0871 222 4576.

cleveleys
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Arrived yesterday friday .6 dec ...stayed in room 172 , And still here till monday , food price res ,, breakfast was nice , room clean and tidy ,, swimming pool , Large to keep families happy ,, staff friendly ,, cant find fault , So well done all staff ..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the hotel as well as all the facilities.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many, many times and in the past have found everything satisfactory.

However, we booked and paid in advance for one night as we were due to go out with friends for a Christmas event in Bury. The booking was made a few days before our expected stay.

On the morning of our stay we received a phone call from a receptionist to say that the hotel was fully booked and they could not accommodate us (even though we had a confirmed booking, had paid in advance and the payment had been taken from our account!).

Obviously we were extremely disappointed as the event we were going to was already booked. We asked to speak to someone in charge and over an hour later a duty manager rang us back. He explained that it was the hotel's booking policy to overbook and as we were among the last few people to book and there had been no cancellations, then they were unable to accommodate us!

We were offered a room at a Village hotel in Ashton (we live nearby in Oldham), or a Premier Inn at Prestwich. Obviously we declined these offers. When we mentioned that we had already booked a Christmas event at a venue in Bury he just repeated his offer of hotels in Ashton or Prestwich. We then asked for a refund of our money. What terrible customer service.

We will not be booking this hotel again any time soon! Be warned!!

2 Thank pollylew
Thank you for taking the time to add a review of your experience.

I am so sorry about the problems you encountered with your reservation. If you would like to speak to me directly please feel free to ring on 0871 222 4576.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury
Premier Inn Manchester Bury Hotel
Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Bury? Share your experiences!