“Nice not great”

Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bury
“Nice not great”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed one night for a family wedding, The room was nice, bed comfy with good pillows,
The room we had was number 118 it was very noisy because next door was for an air con unit or something that sounded similar, just a loud constant hum. We didn't have time to change as the room wasn't ready till after 3 and we had to get ready for he wedding.
The spar and pool looked very good but busy.
Again the breakfast was ok food bland,
Over all ok

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get room 118 noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your views on the hotel.

The team and I are passionate about delivering exceptional standards and always aim to ensure that this is reflected in the service you receive- I will therefore take all your comments on board to ensure your next stay is better than ok.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kindest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked at the Village Hotel in Bury for Friday and Saturday night.
We checked in and found in the room that there was no hotel information pack. Not even a number on which to reach reception. There was no information about anything including the wi fi password.
There was also no local information whatsoever.
We had upgraded to an ‘Upperdeck Room’ which is basically a standard bedroom with nicer pillows and a nicer duvet, Sky movies and Starbucks coffee/hot chocolate.
Having read beforehand about the Leisure Club (it clearly said no children in the pool after 5pm) we headed for the pool at around ten past five and found it full of youngsters having swimming lessons. The lady on reception at the club suggested it was rather too busy for us to use! We used the gym instead, which was perfectly adequate.
The water pressure in the shower in the bedroom was appallingly low.
We ate in the Italian restaurant in the hotel on the first night and although it was ok, it was fairly generic and standard Italian food. Nothing spectacular. The wine was very over priced at £22.00 for a bottle of Shiraz.
We had to phone reception twice to complain about the noise of the music coming (we think) from the bar area. The first time we were told it would be stopping in about 10 minutes. When I phoned half an hour later to complain about the same noise, the guy on reception clearly didn’t believe me and insisted that he was coming up to our room to listen for himself. He never arrived……….
In the morning, we had ordered a newspaper, only a fifth of it arrived with no supplements or magazines. On mentioning this to reception I was told it was not their fault that was what came from the newsagent. However, I was not charged for it.
I also checked that we were not going to be subjected to any noise that evening and was told there was an ‘event’ on but at the back of the hotel and that we shouldn’t be disturbed by music. We weren’t. Instead we were disturbed by noisy drunk guests returning back to their rooms from 1am until around 3am.
The walls/ceilings/floor in this hotel are paper thin and you can literally hear everything going on in adjoining rooms.
The cooked breakfast on both days was perfectly adequate.
I don’t think we will be returning to the Village Hotel group, if the hotel at Bury is the standard of the chain.
I would rather spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest room available! The walls and floors are paper thin!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I am so sorry to hear about your recent stay at the hotel. Customer satisfaction is something we take very seriously here at the Village and I am sorry we have failed in your estimations.

If you would like to call me to discuss any element of your stay please feel free to call me on 0161 764 4444

Kindest regards
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Such a treat; gorgeous room, very large as was for a disabled person , very clean with a comfortable bed & spare pillows . Large TV, tea/ coffee etc. The whole hotel was clean, well kept, nicely furnished & very very busy. The Vinny & Vito restaurant was also very good when I went early evening.
The pool is lovely, again well kept & open from 6.30 til 10 with 2 jacuzzis, steam room & sauna.
This hotel outlived my expectations & I really can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

The team and I take great pride in aiming to ensure we deliver exceptional standards. I am so pleased this was reflected in each element of your stay!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience here and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warmest regards
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I like this hotel.

Good points:
- the rooms are large and comfortable
- the bar food is excellent
- the gym and pool are excellent
- breakfast is excellent

Bad points:
- the bathrooms have fixed dispensers which are often broken
- the bar is usually full of idiot football fans yammering too loudly
- the floor plan and layout make it hard to find rooms

Room Tip: Away from the football fans in the bar who just love screaming at the television
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your views on the hotel.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the rooms, as well as the majority of the amenities. Football fans can tend to get very involved when their teams are playing and I am sorry that on this occasion you felt it was too intrusive.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards
Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were on the last leg of our Scotalnd and North England tour and wanted to stay around Manchester with the benfit of a leaisure centre.
The hotel was very busy being a Friday night with a function also taking place.
The room was to a nice standard with comfortable beds, but no air conditioning and the weather was still hot!
The leisure centre was excellent, with a massive pool, nice steam room, sauna and whilpool - the only downside was that our son who is 11 was only allowed in the pool as the other facilities had a strictly enforced over 16 rule.
Breakfast was included in our room rate but was very busy with the staff struggling to keep up with replenishing the supplies.

Room Tip: A room at the rear is probably quieter, especially if it is hot and you need to have the window open...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Carole H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Bury, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Unfortunately the facilities have an over 16's rule due to health and safety procedures although we hope he enjoyed the indoor heated pool.

I hope to see you again at the hotel in the future.

Kind regards
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We recently stayed for our daughter’s wedding party which was well organised and well staffed. The staff were friendly and efficient and the food was good. The rooms were also of a reasonable standard and breakfast was enjoyable with very pleasant staff.
My only criticism was that the two flights of stone steps to reception are particularly challenging, especially if you are carrying luggage and you are elderly. Yes, there is a lift around the right hand side of the building but this is not easily found or apparent. As we were leaving and I was taking my father to the lift an elderly lady went crashing down the steps tripping over her own luggage which she was trying to carry. Luckily, she appeared unhurt and didn’t report her mishap to reception which was probably due to a combination of embarrassment and the reluctance to climb the steps again.
At no time did reception staff indicate there was a lift even though it was clear that my parents might consider it useful. There is no obvious signage at the top or the foot of the steps. Surely it wouldn’t cost much or be too much trouble to help their more elderly visitors.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback,..

I am sorry to hear the elevator issues ruined what was otherwise a great stay at the hotel. It is something I can assure you we are looking into.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Kindest regards
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have been to several Village Urban Resorts, and this is not as polished as the previous ones I have visited. It still has the same quality DeVere feel to it, but could do with a upgrade programme to maintain the Village Urban Resort quality brand. This occasion, we booked three rooms for the whole family.

The rooms were clean and in everything working order, though the TV was fuzzy, odd for digital I thought. The furniture scuffed and dated could do with an upgrade. Within the hotel the Leisure suite is excellent, great pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna all in working order and clean. The Bar is great, and we had a meal at the onsite Italian restaurant, Vinny and Vito. The set price for two courses was excellent value, though I would have expected more authenticate, flavoursome dishes to be available from the menu.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall, happy with Village Bury, and I would stay again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments on the Village Hotel Bury.

Here at the hotel we are always willing to find new ways to improve to ensure customers get the utmost from their stay so we will definitely take your views on board regarding Vinny and Vitos. I am so pleased you were still impressed with your stay at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury
Premier Inn Manchester Bury Hotel
Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Bury? Share your experiences!