“Served its purpose but not a place for a quiet stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Manchester Bury

Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bury
London, United Kingdom
“Served its purpose but not a place for a quiet stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very busy hotel, located just where we needed to be. Good room but not very well lit and with dark decor. On the plus side breakfast was good and the hotel let us have a late checkout at no extra charge. Didn't use it but there was probably the largest swimming pool I have seen in a hotel, anywhere. Free wifi was also a bonus. Other guests did seem to make themselves heard at night in the corridors

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I Came Here On 18th &19th April 2013, This Hotel Was Chosen By The Company Who Was Training Us. Was Very Impressed By The Outside & Interior Of The Hotel, The Staff Were More Than Helpful, Food Was Very Nice, Good Selection, Whilst I Didnt Stay Overnight Other People From My Group Did And The Only Complaint I Heard About The Rooms Was Uncomfy Pillows....(Each To There Own)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at De Vere hotels in the past and they have all been a bit run down/tired looking, and we expected more from the Bury hotel as the website boasts of the new modern look and redesign so we thought we'd give it a go as the deal was good at the time (we now know why...)

It was my boyfriend's 30th birthday so we wanted to do something special for it (the night before we stayed at the mere hotel and spa which was fantastic).

I was impressed with the front of the hotel, and the reception looked modern and tidy. As we went to our room I noticed that the banister was worn and odd stair nosings, around the hotel and in our room there were also signs of worn/tired furnishings. Now these may only be minor imperfections but it is the small details that matter, and as a first impression does not go down very well.

The room itself was clean and nicely furnished, the bed was comfortable. There is quite a lot of police sirens going off through the night (but what do you expect in Bury?).

Now the spa, well if you can call it that, was a let down. It was full of chavs and families, which took away that luxury feel that you need on a break away. The pool smelt funky so I did not use it, and the temperatures of the pool water raised eyebrows, 30C really?? It felt more 9C!

The sauna smelt awful like rotting wood so god knows what is growing in there! The steam room was lovely though although that random banging noise got annoying after a while.

The changing room was quite run down and needs some attention, and it was a mission to find the pool entrance... some signage is needed. Cracked tiles above the showers was off putting, again the small details matter.

We ate in the pub opposite for lunch which was very reasonably priced. We also ate in the Vino Vinnie restaurant and enjoyed a lovely Italian (part of our package), the food was lovely and nicely presented.

Overall the hotel was ok but we have stayed in better places, but the staff were very friendly. I doubt we'll stay in De Veres again though as it lacks luxury, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katetheplate

Travelers are raving about these Bury hotels

Bury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Booked in to the village hotel this afternoon been a few times as its only a short hop on the motorway from where we live and it's just nice to chill out go for a swim and have someone else cook breakfast. Well we are back home very angry very upset and disappointed. Went for a nice long soak in the bath to discover no bath taps so my husband went down to reception to ask what was going on, when speaking to the manager she told him not to be stupid there is a tap in the bathroom, sent someone up to the room with my husband to show him where the tap was as if he was stupid reply he got was oo you haven't got any bath taps no husband said I know we haven't , so they went down to reception and told the manager managers reply was dont be silly there is taps, we can move you 2 rooms up this was at 8.30pm tonight, I just said no I want to go home. The hotel was dirty the staff in all areas were not polite and rude I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. By the way I would of moved 2 rooms up if I wasn't disabled with a crippling back problem.

Room Tip: Just don't waste your time or money here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisakershaw
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel on the recommendation of a colleague as it was an ideal place to meet him for breakfast.
I must point out that I booked late (only 24 hours before checking in) so didn't expect the best price. I was offered a twin room at £109 and opted for breakfast at an additional £10. So for £120 I was expecting a reasonable stay. My room had two spongy single beds and it really could have been cleaned better (plenty of dust in the corners and the bathroom could do with new silicon as it was dirty).
I used the gym and left my room key as security. The gym is good with plenty of equipment however when I went to reclaim my key they had lost it along with the paper sleeve with the room number written on it! I sprinted back to my room and thankfully nothing was missing so they recoded the keys.
The breakfast was the most annoying detail. I had prepaid 10 pounds and met my colleague who had walked in off the street and only paid £5! I know this sounds petty but it is quite galling. When I checked out I asked the desk about the discrepancy and they said there was nothing they could do and the £5 was a 'special seasonal ' offer .
According to my friend he has only ever paid £5 and the special offer has been running for at least the last two years!

In summary, could be cleaner. Gym is good. Don't pay for breakfast.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cybdw
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have stayed in this hotels many times in the last 5 years due to work in the area. This is the first time back in about 18 months with the comments below:
Positive:
Rooms are fairly big
Choice of food good
Access to the free gym and pool is very good. Lots of equipment to use and large pool. Does get busy in peak times
Very friendly and approachable staff (Espicially on reception)

Negatives

Room felling tired. Dirty marks on wall. Toilet missing gromets on seat. Loose electric socket.Dirty Shower area.
I had a disabled room with a joining door that banged when the window was opened.
I ate in the resturant, food was ok. Service took ages (Over an hour for garlic bread and meatballs)
Breakfast - Ate at 7.30am not great quite good choice but had been sitting there a while.

Suggestions
Try and get a room that is not in the back. These rooms are not refurbished and are a walk to reception.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

we booked a family room for two nights, but on arrival i wasnt sure if this was a family room? i queried this at reception only to be told it was a family room. our kids were meant to share a sofa bed, however, we felt this inappropriate as they are male and female and different ages. so my husband and son shared the sofa bed and we had the large comfy bed! the hotel was immaculately clean in every area. the leisure facilities where fantastic although the kids pool times where a little restricting. we ate at the hotel both nights, good choice and good quality food although on the first night they forgot the kids meal! however, my husband did complain to management about the room and they acted really quickly, we were given a better room with 2 kids beds and sky movies for the kids so well done village, we enjoyed our stay and would thinks about booking again, in an upper deck room

Room Tip: for two people and for couples with a baby or toddler any room, the rooms at the back of the hotel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Red Hall Hotel
Red Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walmersley
Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Bury? Share your experiences!