“Friendly staff, shame about the price”

Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bury
Bury, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, shame about the price”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Have been to the Bolholt many times during the last 30 or so years and used to be a member at the fantastic leisure club.
Went last night to meet up with family we had not seen in years and although the staff are lovely why are the drinks so expensive?
When I order a large wine elsewhere I get a large measure (250ml) for the money but here is was the price of a good bottle of Blossom Hill for a medium glass (125ml).
Was there for a special birthday party in April and it was the same then - the cost of a round of drinks was crazy and that night the staff actually seemed like they just wanted the private party to be over so they could go home, after they had helped themselves to the buffet and taken most of it away much too soon, rather than let people nibble on it through the night.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found our staff lovley.

I have passed on your comments to head office regarding the drinks prices but unfortunately there is nothing we can do on that.

Also with regards to the buffet we are legally only allowed to leave the food out for 1 hour and 30 mins due to health and safety.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed over for two nights whilst attending wedding. Everything was excellent, our room, staff, the wedding all extremely good. I even went for a swim on the Sunday morning in their fitness centre, which in my opinion is more like a 5 star facility, two lovely pools and very spacious jaccuzi. A really top class stay.

Room Tip: use the swimming pools/jaccuzi.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and had the chance to visit our leisure facilities. I am glad you found our staff helpful.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had a family wedding on 7th September . Some guests stayed the whole week-end and some just over Saturday night. We had a wonderful time. The wedding location was good, well appointed, comfortable and spacious with lovely views and the ability to sit outside. We were so well-looked after the whole time, the staff seemed to go out of their way to make it all run smoothly. Our bedroom was quiet and well appointed and breakfast was excellent. As mum of the Groom I spoke to most of the guests. The one thing I kept hearing was how friendly and helpful all the staff were, which was what I had found. Some guests had used the leisure facilities and found them very good. The food was excellent, both at the wedding and meals in the hotel dining room. A few guests had some noise outside their rooms but this had not lasted long and there was another party going on as well as ours. This is a small grumble. In all it was just right. Liked the lavender sprays in the rooms to help you sleep, a nice touch. But the main thing was the efficiency and friendliness of all the staff. Thank you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you had a wonderful day at the wedding and you found all our staff so friendly and helpful. I have passed on all your comments to each department.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Me and a colleague stayed here for 4 nights on buisness. Upon check in the staff were friendly and very helpful and created some rapport. The room wasn't too far from the main reception and was what was to be expected. Mid week I discovered that some rooms had free view TV's and some didn't so I asked to be moved to another room which the staff were very prompt to deal with. They again gave me a room close to reception. The food was nice but not a lot to offer and was in my opinion at the higher end price wise. I had a steak one night which was supposed to be medium however came out rare however was still enjoyable. The leisure facilities exceeded my expectations offering 2 large pools 2 jaccuzzi's 2 saunas a steam room plunge pool full size gym and a sunbed. I feel it is brilliant value for the experience u have and if in the area will return. Well done to the staff.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our staff helpful. I am pleased you brought up any issues with reception so we had the chance to deal with them swiftly.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

UK
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here on the 31st August for one night at the last minute. On arrival the hotel is really nice, the receptionist was friendly and checked us swiftly with no hassle. On entering the room it was nice and big, yes the hotel is tired but nothing that detracted from our stay. However there was the remains of a spider on te curtains surrounding the bed that the last guest must have killed and hadn't been cleaned by housekeeping. The leisure facilities were really good and as one of the main reasons for booking the hotel we weren't disappointed. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was really nice. I have to give a mention to the young lad that served us. I think he was new but what a credit to the hotel. really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We had a good nights sleep and no noise issues as some reviews have mentioned. Now then we come to breakfast. We sat down at around 9:30, we having some cereal we went up to the buffet to grab some hot food only to find out that there was no sausages or black pudding left, when I asked how long it would be I was told that the chef wasn't cooking anymore. This was still with 15 mins left before breakfast finished!! Overall, it was good but if it hadn't been for the small issues (nothing to do with refurbishment) it would have been a 5 rating across the board.

• Stayed September 2013
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let me apologise for the service you received at breakfast, I have passed on your comments to the breakfast supervisor to ensure this problem does not happen again in the future.

I am glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Lincoln
Reviewed September 1, 2013

A nice escape. Bolholt was everything we expected for what we paid. Its an old building.. Tired in places but for us.. perfect for what we wanted.
The pool was lovely.. warm, relaxing and quiet. There was 3 weddings at the hotel when we stayed.. So its obviously popular locally. The grounds are beautiful, especially as the hotel is located in a housing estate.Al la carte Food was lovely.Restaurant nice.Breakfast nice but not as special as other similar best westerns we`ve stayed at. Drinks pricey as expected. The room was clean and spacious.. but very noisy, even though we`d requested a quiet room.
Walls and ceilings paper thin.
All in all.. a nice getaway for the price we paid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you had a wonderful stay with us and it was exactly what you were looking for.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here overnight after attending an evening wedding celebration in the Leisure Club, which is in the extensive grounds, a couple of hundred yards walk from the main hotel.

The room was clean and comfortable although a bit dated. It overlooked the car park and we were woken by people talking outside at 4am. The lighting was rather dim and the hair drier had a short power lead which was threaded through a base unit into a drawer. We had to move the unit to pull enough lead through to use the drier.

Staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was buffet service but freshly cooked however there was a rather limited choice of healthy alternatives. The room was booked in advance direct with the hotel and was relatively good value for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Avoid a room overlooking the car park and away from the reception area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found our staff helpful and enjoyed your breakfast with us at the hotel. I'm sorry about the noise we try our best to keep noise levels to a minimum.

I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Duty Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury
Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
Holiday Inn Bolton Centre

Been to Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel? Share your experiences!