Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bury
Radcliffe on Trent, United Kingdom
“An OK hotel”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We booked 9 rooms for 2 nights for our annual family get together. We each pay for our own rooms so I shall just review our room. We booked a double room for 2 nights Dinner B&B on the Best Western website. I book rooms reasonably frequently, but for some reason I had booked one person not two. Anyway when we arrived the receptionist was really surprised there was two of us and it seemed to create a problem as we were expecting to eat ( DBB base booking) Anyway we were then allowed into our room after being told we would be allowed to eat even though it was getting late (We had taken 3 hours to get there when it should have taken 2 because of traffic). Oh and we would be charged extra for the extra meals. OK The dinner works out at£20. Dinner was OK. We were not allowed to sit with the rest of the family as the tables had been set for breakfast(???) so we sat in an adjacent annexe. It was only salmon salad and roast beef, which had been kept warm, the Yorkshires were good and the gravy excellent. No desert but had a liqueur coffee instead. The room was very nice very clean, lots of tea coffee chocolate and Horlicks (yes Horlicks!) Bathroom spotless. The only little complaint was that they give you nice shower soap in a dispenser but no separate shampoo or bubble bath. Next morning we all went to breakfast after a swim in the really nice pool spa complex. Breakfast was OK - food was good but service was poor. No fried eggs - you have to order them (good) but they didn't tell you that. In fact the next morning we asked about things and were then offered the breakfast menu. I asked why it was not handed to all guests and it is because they don't have enough menus to do this! My wife wanted grapefruit. The bowl on the self serve was empty, so we asked a waiter who told us they didn't do grapefruit (well you did yesterday!) and they had run out of bread. We had a good weekend. The hotel suffers from lack of experienced staff, and no evidence of a manager. The hotel is tired as when the rain fell on Sunday morning there were buckets put out in the bar and toilets to catch the drips. This is obviously a regular occurrence. Other gripes: The bedroom block at the back (we were here) is approached outside by uneven steps and slopes, and the door to the block was very small when you had cases. The pool etc was a long way fro m the hotel without a covered walkway.
Would we come again? possible pich another best Western in the area to be honest.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. We will take all your comments on board to ensure this problem is not persistent.

I hope you will consider staying with us again so we can provide you with the excellent service our hotel provides.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

A large group of us recently visited this hotel for a charity ball. I make no comment about the rooms as non of us stayed over, the only general comment I would make about the buliding and facilities are 'tired out'. The staff were all relatively young smartly turned out and pleasant but clearly lacked sufficient supervision or direction, as a consequense the service was poor. The menu for the function included a chicken dish with brandy and cream sauce and dauphinoise potatoes. Neither the dauphinoise potatoes nor the brandy and cream sauce appeared, we were served roast potatoes and gravy. Now part of the trade off for charity functions is to pay a good price (£45 per head) but have an attractive menu to compensate it was obvious a large number of plates were being returned half eaten. If your going to offer function rooms with fantastic menu's don't then provide basic food. Our table asked for some post meal decafe coffee to be told 'sorry I don't think we stock that' again poor training or poor planning !. We challemged the poor food and lack of decafe coffee with a manager who was unable to either explain or apologise. We sough to take solace in a drink but at £4.70 a bottle of cider we didn't drink much either. This was dissapointing for a Best Western.

Room Tip: Try before you buy at this one !
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry you found the meal not up to your expectations. I have checked over the menu, we had on the menu ordered by the organiser roast potatoes and the Brandy cream sauce. I have double checked with the chef and the Manager that was on duty and they have both confirmed that it was roast potatoes and the brandy sauce which was served on the day. I am pleased you found our staff pleasant and thank you for bringing all of this to my attention.

Duty Manager

Travelers are raving about these Bury hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here for work in four different rooms over four nights, they all varied in size (one having a four poster bed) but generally accomplished the same goal as business rooms.
They're not exactly cute or attractive rooms but they're clean, have a nice shower and have all the stuff you need to get your clothes ready. The gyms really good though and the food and drink were nice and decently priced.

• Stayed December 2012
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and had the chance to get full use of the leisure facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

If you want to have to eat all your meals in your room? Then this is the hotel for you. Dogs are not even allowed in the bar area. Which is really unreasonable. Very disappointing and confusing. There are other dog friendly places nearby o check them out.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. Firstly please let me apologise for not exceeding your expectations.

We try our best to accommodate for all customers, we do allow dogs in the hotel and on the grounds and you are more than welcome to leave dogs in the room unattended but as we are also a family hotel we cannot always allow dogs in the public areas with there often being young children in the lounge area.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

I hope you can understand this and will consider visiting us again in the future.

uk
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for one night. The price was right and the price included a breakfast, which worked out cheaper that other hotels in the area. As we were traveling to Bury for a celebration, we had no expectations ~ other than, to get our heads down after the party and a breakfast before we left for a long journey home. But Fair play, cant fault it. The Receptionist was really helpful, ordering us a taxi for later on. She also gave us recommended taxi phone numbers for our return back to the hotel. We had a four poster bed, which was very novel. Rooms were clean. I especially liked the little bottle of lavender spray at the side of the bed. When we returned to the hotel that night, fairly late, there were still bar staff serving at the bar. We enjoyed a night cap. The breakfast in the morning was typical ~ what you expect. The waitress serving us, was very blubbery. The grounds are beautiful. Our friends also loved the hotel. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms seem to be similar
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Happy T
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay. I am happy you found our staff helpful and we catered to all your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed for two nights with my husband whilst visiting friends in the area.
Good value if you like a room which smelled as if something had died under the bed and poor quality breakfast including uncooked black pudding.
Couldn't fault the staff, all very nice and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank walkthecoastalwalk
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. Please let me apologise for not exceeding your expectations. I hope you reported the problems to reception so we had the chance to solve them.

I am pleased you found our staff friendly and helpful.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 0161 762 4000.

England
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here for two nights; the night before my wedding and the night of the wedding.

We checked in at 2pm and the reception staff were great. We had room 29, a ground floor family room with a double, single and a pull out double sofa bed. The room was spacious and there was plenty of room for my 6month old daughter's travel cot too.
The room had a tv, ample wardrobe/drawer space, a fresh and modern bathroom and everywhere was clean.
There was a kettle, tea, coffee, hot chocolate and even horlicks! A variety of biscuits and bottled water. Brilliant.
We were also allowed access to room 66 which was the bridal suite so that I could hang my dress in there. This was allower at no extra cost which was a nice thing for the hotel to allow as we hadnt actually booked this room for the night. Very helpful and generous gesture by the hotel.

We spent the afternoon decorating the function room for our wedding with little personal touches. The wedding team were a fantastic help and were only happy to help with every question I had, particularly Hayley and Amy.

We then visited the pool. There was me, my mum, my 11 year old sister and 6 month old daughter. The facilities were great. The changing rooms were clean and spacious, and there is a baby change table and mats which was an unexpected bonus! The pool is a good size and the small pool a nice temperature for the baby. I didnt use the sauna/jacuzzi but my mum said they were lovely.
The only negative about the pool is the changing rooms are very cold. A few people commented once we were out of the pool and it upset the baby.

We wanted to visit San Rocco, a restaurant very close to the hotel for our evening meal. I enquired at reception and they phoned the restaurant for us to check opening tims which was a great help.

I stayed in the single bed in the family room and it was very comfortable.

The breakfast on the first morning was brilliant. It is a self service buffet with hot and cold food. Sausages, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, tomatos, eggs, cereals, fruits, yoghurts, breads, cold meats, cheeses, etc... You order toast and hot drinks which are brought to your table.
The breakfast staff are very friendly and only happy to help with any requests. They even offered toget my food so I didnt have to leave the baby!!!

The rest of tbe morning was hectic with getting ready for our wedding. Again, the reception staff were great with our deliveries of flowers, hair dressers arriving, etc..

I was allowed into room 66 early on this day to get ready for the wedding. The room was beautiful. A four poster bed in a very spacious room with beautiful views to the front of the hotel garden and to the back of a field of sheep! There was a large flat screen tv and a clean, fresh, modern bathroom. I didnt notice if there was the same tea/coffe/biscuits in this room as I was busy getting ready!

The wedding itself was perfect. Everything ran smoothly and the staff were brilliant, from the wedding manager, Hayley, to the bar staff and waiting staff.
Our day was amazing. The ceremony room looked beautiful as did the meal room. The drinks were great and the food was delicious - beautifully presented and generous portions. All our guests commented on how lovely the food was.
Any issues that arose were quickly addressed and we, the bride and groom, did noy feel any stress throughout the day. The wedding team were very professional, helpful and super smiley!

We went back to our room at 6.30pm so could freshen up and the hotel had left us a bunch of flowers and an ice bucket with a bottle of champage and two glasses. A lovely touch and much appreciated :-)

After the wedding parrty finished, guests were able to continue celebrating in the residents bar. The service here was also excellent.

We went to bed around 1am. The bed was super comfy and the room was quiet.
It was our first ever night without the baby and the gorgeous room made it extra special.

Breakfast the next morning was a bit hectic. We arrived at 8am and it wasnt ready. We were seated quickly and our toast and coffee arrived quickly. The breakfast staff were very apologetic that it wasnt ready explaining things had been misplaced after the wedding. It toom around fifteen minutes before breakfast was ready but it wasnt a problem.
The breakfast was again to a high standard and tasted delicious. It was very busy - the hotel was full, and there was a delay on coffees and toast orders after the restaurant filled up but again, it wasnt really an issue.

More than half of our wedding party stayed overnight and everyone commented on how nice their rooms were.

Our guests then checked out and used the pool facilities.

We had an amazing wedding and would definitely recommend this hotel as a wedding venue. We loved our room as did all our guests that stayed over so eould recommend an overnight stay also.

I could keep typing but I've gone on long enough!

Thanks to the Bolholt for a great wedding. We'll be back next year for an annivesary stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carla_hursty
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your pleasant review. I am delighted you had such a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed everything the hotel had to offer from the breakfast, horliks in the room and the leisure facilities.

I am pleased your wedding day ran so smoothly and you and your partner had an amazing day. I have passed on all your feedback to the staff here at the Bolholt Hotel.

We look forward to greeting you again sometime in the future (perhaps your anniversary) so we can provide you with another great experience.

Duty Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury
Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
Holiday Inn Bolton Centre

Been to Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel? Share your experiences!