“2nd time better-Does what is says on the tin”

The East Lancashire Railway
Ranked #1 of 2 Transportation in Bury
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in Bury, just 30 minutes from Manchester City Centre, is the award-winning East Lancashire Railway. A heritage railway that runs steam and diesel train services through the beautiful Pennine Lancashire scenery. There are plenty of things to see and do and stations are well equipped for group visits with cafes, pubs, gift shops and a dedicated Transport Museum, housing vintage vehicles, transport memorabilia and interactive exhibits. Guided tours and talks are also available. The railway also has some fantastic events scheduled throughout the year from guided Rail Ale Trail tours of some of the excellent local drinking spots to the nostalgia of their award winning 1940's weekend. Looking for something a little different? Why not indulge in a luxury steam train hauled dining experience on board Orient Express style carriages, learn to drive a train or get snap happy with a Photography Course?
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having posted a 'poor' 1st review a 2nd became necessary when an improvement has been noted. We used the train to travel to Bury for a little shopping and a meal out-I guess unlike most visitors we can walk to the station. We had a diesel engine on the way out and a steam on return. The experience is run by volunteers and although I guess most people use it to experience the railway we were using it to get somewhere.
Trains were on time, did not break down & were comfortable. Its always interesting to speak to the staff - many of whom come from miles away to volunteer for a seemingly humdrum job such as selling tickets rather than just the exotic engine driver jobs.
We did our business in Bury and stopped for refreshment at the newly opened bar at the Rawtenstall station on our return- very nice. Also well worth bringing a camera.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,662)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"cream tea"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Have mentioned this attraction in my review of Mercure foxfields hotel near Blackburn.very enjoyable and well worth the £10:50 charge which includes admission to the transport museum.Regretfully in my hotel review I stated the ticket price as £21 .apologies East Lancs Railway.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been on this railway on numerous occasions. When my children were small we always took them on the Santa specials. There was a good present from Santa and the adults got a glass of sherry and a mince pie (can't guarantee that is still the case as it is a good few years ago). In the summer it is nice to take a picnic and stop off along the way. Ramsbottom is always nice to walk round with its pubs, restaurants and antique shops. It is worth looking out for the special events they have there such as the 1940's weekend or the continental markets.

One criticism I would make is that when leaving from Bury, there is no disabled access and we had to push a wheelchair across the tracks to get on the train.

The carriages have always been clean whenever I have been on the train and it really is a nice, comfortable nostalgic trip that I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We took our grandson on the train from Ramsbottom to Rawtenstall and return, a short 15 minute journey through lovely countryside.
The Ramsbottom station platform and waiting room has old relics of the steam days and is manned by very friendly staff.
The journey, by steam, brought back happy memories of the days of steam which I am old enough to remember vividly.
The short journey is free to under 5's and was £6.80 each for a concessionary ticket.
Next time we will take the ride in the opposite direction to Bury.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 14, 2013

As a birthday treat, my wife and I enjoyed an delightful evening on the Red Rose Diner on the 12th July. The meal was of the highest standard and the waiters were fast, efficient & courteous. Food was supplied by Percivals of Bolton and was both plentiful and of excellent quality. The train consisting of steam hauled first calass pullman cars travelled from Bury Bolton Street station, up through the Rossendale Valley, past Ramsbottom to Rawtenstall. A delightful journey and a most pleasant evening