“Local top nosh!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ramsons - CLOSED

Ramsons
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: ramsons is a very small, family run restaurant, now in it's 29th year!Comfort and food quality are paramount; Lu (the chef) and Chris (the waiter) are passionate about rural Italian cooking.Private dining on special occasions is the house speciality, in 3 separate rooms with tables for 8, 10 and 16.
Ramsbottom in Bury, Lancashire
“Local top nosh!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I have been to ramsons and Hideaway (which is the lower more relaxed part of the restaurant) on numerous occasions and we have always been delighted with the food. The owner goes out of this way to give you a personal service although sometimes can be slightly intrusive if I am being harsh. The service is top notch though, the food and wine always first class and a wonderful gem in my town of Ramsbottom- long may it flourish

• Visited August 2012

ramsbottom
“Unique Restaurant, Exquisite Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have been to Ramsons many times both upstairs in the main restaurant and downstairs in the intimate, to me perfect, Hideaway.

You have the table all evening which is fantastic. the food is always heavenly, beautifully presented the selection of wines . . stunning.

Chris is a wonderful gentleman, so helpful, knowledgeable and passionate about the food, wine and it seems life itself, talk to him and learn from him . . he knows his stuff!

Ramsons is far more than a restaurant, it is an experience and we are extremely lucky to have it it here in Ramsbottom.

Well done to Chris and his fabulous team

Praying for Farhad

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank jungman
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Frustrating - could've been so good, but spoilt....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We went to Ramsons with friends who had come to stay for the weekend.

When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The decor and ambience were lovely and a little unexpected given the exterior. We were shown to a lovely big table in an alcove off the main dining area where there were only 2 other diners.

When I had phoned to book I was told that the options were to eat downstairs for a fixed menu or upstairs for a la carte. We chose upstairs. When the menu arrived I discovered it isn't a la carte. It's menu prix fixe. You have a choice of having 5 or 6 courses (5 for £50) or the taster menu. You can choose which dish you would like for each course but it is definitely not a la carte. This was slightly embarassing as we had taken guests and I didn't know if there were happy with spending that much.

The wine menu is all Italian wine. The owner clearly likes Italian wine. I quite like Italian wine, but I am not sure I would completely rule out all other countries and continents in terms of offering customers choice. He states in his menu that in his opinion Italian is the best. I suspect the French, the Australians, the South Americans and the South Africans (amongst others) might disagree, but it's his menu.

We were offered an amuse bouche of melon soup, which was delicious, and then our starters came, which were fabulous.

And then it got weird.

We waited over 35 minutes for our next course to come. The portions aren't massive (which I don't mind at all) but it did mean by this time in the evening we were pretty hungry. When my friend approached the waitress about the delay, she got the owner. He came and told us that, when you come to his restaurant, he said, "we assume you are here for the whole evening". And that was that. The next courses came, were delicious, but we had to wait 20-30 minutes for each one.

I see that the owner has a vision of what dining should be but unfortunately that does differ from virtually every other restaurant I've ever eaten in. If he wants to do that, then fine, but he has to make that clear at the time of booking or when you sit down. And why can't we choose? Why can't we say, actually we'd like this food to come a little bit quicker please? Is that such a dreadful thing for a customer to actually want? Anywhere else when you've said that you aren't happy waiting for a course for over half an hour they would speed up the rest of the meal. But not here.

I was left with a genuine sense of frustration after eating at Ramsons. It could easily have been a fantastic meal, shared with lovely friends and talked about for years to come for the right reasons. But it wasn't. Ramsons could be the best for miles but not if the owner treats his customers like that. Look, clearly some people love it and you can't argue with the food. Clearly some people like the owner for being interesting and different. I don't mind interesting, different, passionate, but I do mind being treated like a fool who doesn't know how to eat in a restaurant. That's just bad manners, which I had to pay a lot to be on the end of.

If you want a long evening and have eaten a big lunch then go here for dinner and you'll have a lovely meal. You'll drink a lot of Italian wine (because what else are you going to do waiting for the next course) but you'll have eaten well. But don't go if you've made any plans for afterwards.

If the chef ever decides to set up his own restaurant, I'd definitely eat there.

• Visited July 2012
10 Thank Sophie K
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Yours .............truly amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This place is lovely , with excellent food and wine , and a wonderful menu . I must admit I am a quite a plain eater , but this menu gave me options and choice that made me venture out of my comfort zone . The hake was amazing as was the celeriac soup , but the desserts were to die for . Not being able to make my mind up as I would have easily eaten any of them , Chris the owner , surprised me with a plate with all four , and they really did live up to my expectations , apricots that melt in the mouth with a pistachio topping , out of this world . Chris the owner was great , very knowledgeable and his recommendations of wine were beautiful , just a pity I was driving . This is the first time I have been been and it certainly won't be the last.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank KalkanForever
Manchester
“Small Fabulous Food Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is an intimate restaurant which places quality of food and drink at the core of its business.
It doesnt have the superficial flash fashionable elsewhere and it may therfore seem a little more serious. It was my first time, i was guided through the menu and the options and the advice was excellent. I have realy great food hovering around the michelin star standard. The wine choice was remarkable. This restaurant is distinctive and has quite a distinct offer, it may be that this at times doesnt fitt with a mass market crowd. This is a special place in Ramsbottom and I am sure its treasured by many.

• Visited March 2012