Tripadvisor
Search

“Shocking”

The Lamppost Cafe - Burrs Country Park
Ranked #3 of 45 Quick Bites in Bury
Description: A cafe in the centre of Burrs Country Park where wet wellies, soggy shorts and muddy paws are welcome. A place to meet new friends, read a book and enjoy a fabulous coffee or tea and homemade cake. Open for breakfast, lunch and bistro evenings - actively supporting local producers and making fresh food on the premises daily.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I would not rate this even one star if there was an option ..

Around 15:40 we stopped at the Lamppost cafe to grab a little something , as I know coffee shop closes at 4 pm , we only purchased some crisps , soft drink , ice lolly and my 5 year old daughter requested her favourite carrot cake ( let's just say our family ALWAYS support local / independent businesses , so did we supported lamppost from the minute it was opened even with some significant flaws and we are not dog owners either ) !
I asked to the girl at the till can we still sit down and have the cake even though they are closing shortly !? ( keep in mind - cafe was still busy with customers )
The girl kindly replied - yes of course you can but we only serve in take away dishes ( paper plate but fork wasn't a take away btw ) , which I said that's fine with us ..
as we approached the table and was about to sit down -

- THE OWNER was right there in a heartbeat to tell us off - he said I'm sure you was informed that it's only take away at this time !

- Well , not really , we was told we can finish the cake like a civilised people with a fork not on the muddy grass in the Fields of Burrs in January ! I asked so where shall my daughter have her cake !? Outside !!?

After his telling of and humiliation I was just totally shocked and speechless , we left the cake on the table untouched and we left - wow , what an abrupt , rude man !

Judge for yourself people - what kind of a person , a grown man , don't let 5 year old girl to have her cake ( it was 15:40 ) ❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️

Honestly , in my entire life I have never ever experienced something as rude like this !!!
❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️❗️
Good Luck with your business MR HOSPITALITY

Date of visit: January 2020
6  Thank lindyhale
MarkWR1, Owner at The Lamppost Cafe - Burrs Country Park, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Oh my, as the saying goes “there is two sides to every story” you didn’t mention that you took chairs down off the table even though other tables where available! Nor did you mention that I suggested the picnic tables outside the cafe, they were dry and clean, no need to sit on muddy grass fields.
Some of the furniture was already up as we had started to clean down ready for closing, you were informed of this, but insisted on taking a table with the furniture already up, and it certainly wasn’t me who dragged your little girl away from the table leaving her cake behind, in fact the customers on the next table couldn’t believe the way you behaved, still they enjoyed the free cake you left for them.
Please feel free to drop into the cafe anytime we would love to hear about our “significant Flaws”

Write a reviewReviews (124)

Reviewed January 10, 2020 via mobile

Food is fine although pricey (£35 for 4 sandwiches and 4 coffees)

One member of staff (big bald man wearing shorts) put a menu on our table despite having already ordered food. So I put it on an empty table to make room for plates, and a minute later he walked past and slammed them back on to our table, which isn’t something I’ve experienced before except for on Kitchen Nightmares - oddly aggressive behaviour for a cafe.

Do yourself a favour and bring a picnic to enjoy the park - you’ll save money and won’t have to deal with the passive aggressive staff

Date of visit: January 2020
4  Thank tim_g123
Reviewed December 13, 2019

Stopped off here inebetween doing some photography in the park, it was a cold day and I'd been on the go for some time, and a brew was calling.

Inside the fire was lit, the music was playing (Christmas due to it being.. Christmas) the staff were all very welcoming, nice to see the owner there too showing face to the customers which is always a good thing to see - they all looked to get on and work as a good team.

I had the eggs benedict, it was lovely - I didn't want it to stop!

Will certainly call in again when I'm in the area next!

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 1, 2019 via mobile

Busy but pleasant Xmas atmosphere. Service was a little on slow side but to be expected with number of patrons (mostly dog walkers and/or families with young children) on one of the few dry Sundays of late. Snacks reasonably priced with a good choice of deserts for those with a sweet tooth (me too!)

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed October 30, 2019 via mobile

Another wonderful find. After walking the dog in Burrs Country Park in Bury we had breakfast in the Lamppost Cafe which is in the park. Very dog friendly. Fabulous food. Great vibe. Wood burner providing lovely warmth Cakes baked

Date of visit: October 2019