“Lunch”
Review of Swan Hotel

Swan Hotel
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Just had an extremely poor meal at this establishment. We ordered towards the end of service (though there was still 20 minutes left) and you could really tell! The scampi and chips were overcooked ( microwaved to within an inch of their lives I suspect), The peas were raw and the chips like bullets. Cheap and cheerful pub grub does not have to mean inedible. I have eaten in many pub/restaurants that have given excellent value for money. When asked the obligatory question if I had enjoyed the meal, the waitress seemed quite taken aback by my polite honesty.Needless to say, as a local I will not be eating there again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steph742

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I booked a four-night stay; initially I thought I might explore the other local establishments to compare with this, and consider alternatives for following visits to Upton - after the first night I didn't bother (and that was afore breakfast!).

So, my experience here bears no relation to some previous carping reviews: the owners and all the staff were warm, friendly and utterly hospitable; the (vegetarian) breakfast set me up for the whole day, and the fine choice of draught beer was superbly kept and served. I made friends in the relaxed dining room and the atmosphere in the bar was always convivial.

The room was very comfortable - I felt at home - the whole establishment was very clean, and the room's decor was fresh and light while retaining the charm and style of such an historic building (and it was good to stay somewhere where I was trusted not to steal the coat-hangers).

This is what every small, family-run concern should be and could be, but seldom is; needless to say, I booked for a stay next year...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Swan looks like it's undergoing a makeover both inside and out - the flood defences are finished and the resulting areas outside look good. Ignore any reviews which mention the chaos - everything's clean, new & block paved! We stayed in Room 2 which I'd recommend - all 3 windows look out directly onto the river. Carpets and decoration are fresh & new, as is the bathroom. Minor gripes are there's only a hand held shower in the bath and the bathroom needs an extractor & a shaver socket. Otherwise great. Comfortable bed and very quiet. Nice bar downstairs, pub food at very reasonable prices. Not a huge choice at breakfast, but it's all good quality and enough to keep most people going for the day! Parking was easy outside, but the fresh new tarmac appears to be crying out for some yellow paint - sure it's coming soon! If we returned to Upton, i'd definitely stay at the Swan.

Room Tip: Room 2 for a view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Comfortable clean room, lovely bed and bedding.Breakfast limited to a full English and packet cereals.Friendly owners and staff.Central position for folk fest.Will stay again providing I can have a head start on my 'five a day'!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Absolutely great couple running the Swan. Very old building with fine beams. Just remember to duck. Nothing is too much trouble. My wife is glutton free, (not a problem). The interior has just undergone a make over. The breakfast is a plate full. The evening meal is excellent with a varied menu. The river Severn is right out side the door. At the moment the flood defences are being erected and should be finished soon. Arrangement are made for parking in the local park just five minutes walk to the hotel. We have stayed at the Swan three times now and next week will be our fourth. Another night in a warm cosy room.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Our room probably provided the best views - two windows looking down the River Severn. The room was comfortable enough but too small for an extended stay. The bathroom was large but would benefit from a walk-in shower or shower screen around the bath.
Although the bar was busy and we went to bed quite early we were not disturbed by noise. The duvet was thick and heavy and the mattress very firm
The breakfast was freshly cooked and very large - an excellent preparation for walking up The Malverns.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We ate here tonight and I made abbig deal at ordering time that my steak should still be a bit bloody and if it's well done I'd be sending it back. Guess what, the steak arrived somewhere between medium and well done. I obviously complained but had no time to wait for replacement by then. Next thing I know, the chef's out with his hackles up telling me theres nothing wrong with my steak and i was wrong to complain and I ended up intimidated.
Whilst the chef obviously felt much better for it, I left with nothing to appease my opinion that this was not an establishment to return to.
Not good customer service at all!

• Stayed: September 2011
#1 of 1 in Pershore
Malvern Hills Hotel
Malvern Hills Hotel
#8 of 10 in Great Malvern

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!