“competitively priced but a few niggles.”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“competitively priced but a few niggles.”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I booked this hotel late on Friday and arrived a few hours later for a 2 night stop.
On arrival you have a well lit driceway upto the hotel.The old bit of the hotel looks lovely but the add on block does look somewhat downmarket from th outside,maybe growing some climbers up it would soften the 80's brick look.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a young girl on reception who was very helpful and cheery at about 10.30pm
The room was of a good size and was clean and tidy.Downside is that as the weather is getting colder the radiator could of done with being on for a while before we arrived as the room was very cold. The TV in our room was weirdly placed on the wall opposite the single bed which was also in our double room.This would of meant a rather weird viewing angle if you wanted to watch TV. We didn't but it was a good job because Digital TV signal is poor and we only had about 3 channels(ITV,CHANNEL4 AND 5 did not work,thankfully some would say!)Turning it to analogue resulted in no channels, Surely the hotel would be aware of this situation?As we didn't want anybody in our room while we were relaxing away for the weekend we did not raise the issue with the hotel.
We went for a late drink in the bar, which was quiet. The young lad behind the bar had a bit of a sloppy attitude.When asked if we could maybe get a bite to eat he said "well it's a bit late isn't it?" I don't know,is it? Apparantly room service is available 24hours on some food so why could it not be served in the bar?Getting a bowl to give us some crisps was a drag for him,as was going to get some ice for a Magners(He didn't offer ice because obviously he didn't want to go and get some.)On the plus side the lads behind the bar on Saturday night were much better with no issues at all.Having decided to take a shower we found that even turned as high as possible we could not face a shower that was effectively cold. The towels and general standard of the batroom was good however.We sussed the following day that if you turned the cold tap full on in the bath this would make the shower hotter,Hope they aren't metered on the water!
We didn't book for breakfast as we thought there may be a good chance we would not make it down on time (10am Sat 10.30Sun)so I cannot comment on the breakfast.Could do with running later but I understand the reasons for finishing early. Upon paying at the end of the stay we were rather shocked to see someone had the nerve to charge drinks,food and breakfast to our room! This was solved immediately by the girl on check out with no issues but the hotel must lose lots of money with what seemed like easy abuse.But it's their choice.
Overall I would of been very happy with the hotel for the price if it wasn't for the few niggles I mention,I do not like to make a fuss or complain so we just lived with them, but I do like to let others know.One thing I would say is that having read reviews on here I was impressed with the fact that the manager responds to lots of feedback on here so clearly takes note, which is a refreshing change.I have no doubt if we had complained about the few niggles they would of done their best to remedy them.
With the use of the leisure complex available to I would say £61 per night room only was just about right,I wouldn't want to pay anymore.
Is it 4*? I would say not but at that price I didn't expect much more than I got.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Thank you for your review and I used it to discuss with the staff ways in which we can improve our service and hospitality. Attitude and helpfulness are everything in this business and so you shouldn't have to "drag" service and standards out of anyone. I am, of course, thankful that many others you came into contact with represented the standards we aim to achieve. So, more training to be carried out so that everyone is first class.

We are in the process of replacing all of our televisions, which is due for completion over the next 2 weeks. I will ensure that we carry out a thorough check on all of our flat screen TVs so that all digital freeview TV & radio channels are being received. It sounds to me that the software needed re-setting on the one you had but, of course, it should have been right in the first place.

When the rooms are serviced the radiators ought to be left on a mid-setting to ensure a comfortable temperature upon arrival. We discussed your comments and my managers will be carrying out additional spot checks.

I'm glad that the administrative issues were quickly resolved for you on check out but equally alarmed that they occurred in the first place. We have sophisticated automated systems in place which should help to guard against such mishaps.

I understand that for many people they don't want to make a fuss at the time but sometimes simple issues can be quickly sorted out and we'd rather this were done at the time. I do hope that you will return to Stourport Manor so you can enjoy a better experience next time. We look forward to welcoming you!

Patrick Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We booked this as an anniversary weekend break and as a base to explore Worcestor & surrounds. Yes - we were real guests ( Room 4, 8th - 10th October) !
The Hotel has two parts - the lovely old Manor House which houses the public rooms and a modern add on block housing the bedrooms. It sits in nice secluded grounds with tennis courts etc & heaps of parking opposite Hartlebury Common - great for walking the dog ( the hotel accepts pets). It is about a mile out of Stourport centre - walkable if you dont mind the hill on the way back. There is a nice spa with pleasant indoor pool area. The bedrooms are pretty typical 3-4 star boxes, reasonably well equipped - we opted for an upgraded room with sofa and it was comfortable.
Like all hotels it needs to earn its keep at weekends when the corporates go home - during our stay there was a Murder Mystery weekend going on ( harmless fun and a bit of a laugh) and a small wedding party on Saturday that suceeded in keeping most of us awake all night as it degenerated into a drunken procession up and down the corridors banging on doors etc til 3am - you get the gist !. Because this is the only worthwhile place to stay in Stourport you are going to run into this nonsense most weekends. Just bring your earplugs or check before booking.
The staff are terrific - really obliging and helpful. The place succeeds because of them. We ate in the restaurant first night ( there is nowhere to go in Stourport except a solitary Indian Restaurant on Bridge St and a few scruffy pubs). OK food & service but horrific drink prices - £28 for a bottle of Villa Maria (supermarket £9) and £4.50 for a pint of beer that costs £3.60p in the bar. This is what gets hotels a bad name. The wedding party must have spent their mortgage on booze !. Breakfast was fine.
The strange thing about this hotel was how gloomy the place became in the public rooms after dark. Are they saving money by dimming the lights ?.Its the only place we've stayed in where we had to retreat to our room to read the paper. Buy some table lamps & cheer the place up a bit !
Stourport is a disappointment - it ought to be lovely, situated on the banks of the Severn but it has been blighted by planners who have allowed a huge permanent fun fair to be built right on the river side. This attracts the usual fun fair crowd & employees. The town was choked with traffic when we were there and just feels scruffy and unloved despite all the investment in the new canal basin. Even the small WH Smiths had a torn entrance carpet patched up with gaffa tape. Bewdley, a few miles upstream, is how it should be. A lovely Georgian market town that glows with pride in itself. If you venture to Worcestor it pays to use the park and ride just off the M5. The lovely Cathedral & Guild Hall is worth the trip alone.
Would we return ? Perhaps if they could guarantee us a decent nights sleep !

1 Thank Debseleven
Thank you for your constructive review of Stourport Manor. I understand that, when you visited the hotel, you may well have had the impression that weekend weddings generally conduct themselves in the manner you suffered but I would like to assure you that your particular weekend seemed problematic. Because our bedroom block is away from the public areas, it's not something which has hitherto caused disruption but you and the previous reviewer suffered at the hands of some other guests that weekend. I was concerned at the beverage prices you describe and will review these with my Operations Manager. It's always difficult to draw direct comparisons with supermarkets since the entire business model and cost structure are geared differently but I do take the point you make.

Of course, we want all aspects of our business to shine but if one has to outshine others, it must be the staff and the hospitality they provide. Thank you, therefore for your kind comments but I can assure you that we don't plan to make the place gloomy in the late evening. Yes, the lights should be slightly dimmed but compensated for by table candles.

Stourport on Severn is a lovely market town and the "powers that be" are working hard to improve the quality of retailing, as well as having created a very interesting canal basin, where the canals meet the River Severn. The funfair has existed for years and, whilst it's not to everyone's taste (including my own) I have to accept that most people don't object. I would agree that Bewdley and Worcester, which are both very near, do offer wonderful alternatives to explore but a short break gives you the opportunity to visit them all!

We hope we'll see you again very soon.

London
Reviewed October 11, 2010

If you're looking for a 4* hotel, you would be wise to avoid this one.

On arrival, the reception desk was unmanned and there was no bell or call button to try and make anyone aware that we were waiting to check in. Eventually, I decided to go off walking around the hotel until I met one of the bar staff who then went to find the receptionist.

We were shown to our room which was freezing ! They obviously hadn't turned the heating on during the day. After half an hour of shivering in the room whilst we waited for the radiator to kick in we tried to watch some TV only to find that the TV didn't work. All we could receive was radio stations. We called the 'Express Service' and they said they would send someone down straight away. After half an hour one hotel's staff came along and confirmed that the television was broken and that they would move us to another room at 'no extra cost'. Too right they'd move us at no extra cost !

Eventually, we moved to another room and tried to fall asleep. I say tried.... I'm not sure if they actually had a matrress on the bed or whether it was a lump of iron left over from the era of the industrial revolution !

If you're looking for a lay-in and still want to make breakfast, forget it. Breakfast at the weekend seems to stop at 10:00am so we opted to go into Stourport and find a small, local cafe.

The second night there was a wedding on at the hotel. Unfortunately, we were housed in the 1980's block adjacent to the manor house. It was obviously built before they had invented things such as 'sound insulation'. You could clearly hear the person in the next room snoring and the conversation of the two people in the room three doors down. The large gap around the door didn't do anything to soften the noise of the people in the corridor either.

(Upon check-out we found out that several people had complained during the night about the noise caused by the wedding party during our stay.... well, surely the night porter should have come and done a couple of patrols around the corridors if they were getting that many complaints !)

After a rather restless sleep, my fiancee decided that she wanted to have a bath. Well, if you wanted a cold bath, no problems.... the hot tap didn't work, meaning that we had to try and fill up the bath using the shower. A rather long process.

Whilst the room was clean, there obviously isn't a maintenance programme in place prior to anyone staying in the room - surely they would check things such as showers, taps etc....).

All in all, you'd be better off staying in a Travel Lodge or Holiday Inn. I have stayed in numerous hotels around the world, and this is by far one of the worst that I have stayed in that tries to pass itself off as a 4*. Its a good 2*, or a moderate 3* at best.

1 Thank Mark1503
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
In the hospitality industry, we have to "take the rough with the smooth" and when things go wrong, it's up to us to deal with them, preferably at the time they happen rather than well after the event. Sadly this can involve trying to ensure that all of the hotel's guests respect each other, which clearly was not the case when you stayed . The layout of the hotel generally ensures peace & quiet in the bedroom areas but I am deeply sorry for the disturbance caused to you by others. Many of your criticisms were addressed in our recent refurbishment, such as the installation of thermostatically controlled radiators, new beds, new televisions and sanitary ware. It's therefore disappointing that this did not come across to you, although I suspect that the thermostat was incorrectly left on too low a setting when your room was prepared. With regard to breakfast, we serve on a Saturday until 10am and on a Sunday until 10.30am, which thus far seems to meet our guests' needs but I would like to think that we would provide a breakfast for the occasional guest who misses this. Naturally we have to put some sort of deadline on it to prepare our brasserie for other uses later in the day. Your unhappiness is obvious and I am sorry that this was not addressed at the time of your visit, when we could have taken steps to put things right. My team and I take feedback very seriously and we try to be professional at all times, focussing on providing a good service as a means to growing our success. I am so sorry that you were bitterly disappointed.

London
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Hotel was really nice - lovely welcome, and the girl on the front desk was competent and friendly. The room was great, and the swimming pool was a nice touch.
The only issue we had was when we ate in the restaurant. The main courses were average and small, and the trio of desserts amounted to three small mouthfuls. One lemon thing in a glass that did not taste of anything, let alone lemons - half a strawberry on some cream, and a 1 inch cubed piece of stale brownie with a tiny drop of cheap ice cream on it. Breakfast on the other hand was really nice and also included in our rate - which was very reasonable indeed.
Overall we were very, very happy with our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thanks for reviewing Stourport Manor and "Great staff, Lovely hotel" makes a wonderful headline. I was pleased that overall you found our hotel to be good quality and value for money but I was disappointed with your experience of dinner. We should be better than you described. The trio of desserts was supposed to be a flavour of all our desserts for the indecisive diner, so I'm very sorry it seemed very bland and insignificant. Since your visit, we've made changes to the menu to bring in some more autumnal influences, such as apple & blackberry crumble with creme fraiche and a very comforting dark chocolate tart with pear and caramel sauce. We hope you'll come and try again very soon!

Many thanks

England
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Just stayed for two nights with 14 members of my family for a family get together. We range in age from 12 to 75, and one family member is disabled, so it was difficult to find somewhere suitable for all. We were all extremely pleased with the hotel, the overall experience was very good. I would like to especially mention the reception staff who were very friendly and efficient. They were really helpful with my disabled father in law. Nothing was too much trouble, and they always had a smile. The other special mention is for the restaurant manager, she again was friendly and efficient. It made our stay stress free. The food was of a good standard and the rooms were clean and comfortable. It's lovely to find that there are still hotels around that give such a good service. Well done to all concerned. We would definately stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I printed it out for all the staff to see because you helped me to prove that it's the staff, who are so critical to our guests' enjoyment. We're doubly lucky that our refurbishment has also helped to improve the service we provide. It would be great to see you all again here soon!

Best wishes,

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Reception staff were very friendly, and helpful.

On first impressions the room was good, clean and nicely presented. Once we started to settle in we noticed little things like a big bleach stain on the desk chair. The bed was too firm for both me and my partner, and we like firm mattresses. The hot water pipe for the all radiators on our floor, ran around the whole of the edge of the room, which meant our room was almost the same temperature as the sauna all the time, with no way to turn the heat down. opening the window more than an inch just let lots of bugs in.

Breakfast was the usual hotel fayre, with plenty to choose from. Included the usual full english, and plenty of cereal, pastries and fruit. Again staff friendly and helpful, only slight problem was the fried eggs for the cooked breakfast were a little too oily for me and the scrambled just didn't look appetising at all.

Pool was clean and not too busy. Didn't like the lack of cubicles in the changing rooms, as it was all communal (seperate gendered though) but we just used the family changing cubicles.

The surrounding area was lovely we went to the safari park, on the steam railway and the black country museum, all of which were great days out.

Would recommend, assuming they didn't stay in this room, and the other rooms didn't have the same heating issues.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
Thank you for your review and I was pleased you rated the hotel highly. Of course, we must look into the comments you made about your room and my plan of action is to re-visit every room so that the maintenance team can ensure the quality is maintained throughout - a sort of MOT! This is particularly important following our major recent refurbishment programme.

Thanks too for your kind comments about the rest of your stay and I'm sure you agree that there's a huge amount of local attractions to discover, so I hope you'll visit us again very soon.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2010

The main hotel building and reception is a charming Eighteenth century manor house, but attached to it is a not so charming twentieth century wing (eighties built) which contains all the bedrooms. Not a massive problem as the hotel was comfortable and the nearby town of Stourport on Severn is well worth a visit.

We spent 1 night at the hotel while visiting friends as their spare room was full!

The hotel room itself was reasonably comfortable but in need of a bit of care in places - chair had a big bleech stain on it, bed was a little uncomfortable even though it was a Sealy and the bathroom was looking a little worn.

Hotel has a really excellent and clean gym with a swimming pool - all free if you are staying at the hotel. The hotel provide towels and locker keys.

Breakfast was pretty good - plenty of choice (hot and cold food) and staff were friendly.

Car park has plenty of space and is free.

Couldn't fault the reception, gym and breakfast staff who were excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and, although I was glad you enjoyed your visit to Stourport Manor, you've made some important points, which I will address. It can sometimes be very difficult to keep on top of minor problems in such a busy hotel but, having read your comments, the best course of action is to review all of the bedrooms for the maintenance team to work upon. Stourport Manor benefited from a huge refurbishment programme 18 months ago and we must ensure that the high quality achieved is maintained. I am pleased that our recent independent inspection rated the quality very highly.

As you point out, it can be the "people", who make the key difference to your visit and I was delighted that you pointed this out.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport on Severn
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bewdley

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!