“Good value”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
“Good value”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We checked in early afternoon to a friendly greeting and were asked to wait in the lounge whilst they checked whether our room was ready. After a couple of minutes we were informed that it was. The room was a good size with good size TV and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was clean. Spent time in the gymn, pool and sauna which were all good. Dinner was excellent and they do a number of wines by the glass at no extra charge and all reasonably priced. Service was very good and attentive without being obtrusive.

Breakfast next morning was first class with good quality food well cooked. Service again was efficient and friendly.

A really enjoyable stay and no complaints

Room Tip: We had room 52 which was fine
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and most particularly that you were impressed by the three key areas of staff conduct, the quality of our bedrooms and breakfast. They're part of what we call our "Big 5 Products", so it's pleasing that we're meeting expectations and the time and money we've invested is paying off.

I hope that you'll take the opportunity to return to the hotel again soon,

Many thanks

Patrick Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
UK
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Generally staff were attentive and helpful. However at both dinner and breakfast we had to request items several times before they appeared on the table. On the very positive side however the food was excellent at both meals.

The room was actually quite nice with a very large and extremely comforatable bed. However it's the small items again, in one corner and along the bath side there were the usual black growths where the bath had not been cleaned correctly.

When the rooms were being cleaned the next day there was little regard for guests still in the hotel as items were dumped in strategic areas along the corridors.

We had a very good deal so was overall very pleased with value for money on the stay. However as I mentioned it's the small things that normally make a good 4 star hotel, which is where this hotel fell down slightly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and you are absolutely right that it is the detail, which makes all of the difference. Your comments give us plenty to build upon, with much to commend the hotel, its staff and the quality but we clearly need to work on finesse and polish. We have the team, the pride and the desire to achieve this, so I hope that you'll return again and we can show improvements.

Best wishes and thanks

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here after a wedding we'd attended and to be honest I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was ok but nothing more, not entirely sure how it can have 4 stars as it certainly doesn't appear to warrant them.

We arrived early so couldn't check into out room prior to the wedding, which is fairly standard but the reception desk didn't even offer to check if our room was ready. They offered us a conference room to change in, which was nice enough but at least checking for the room would have been nice as it's always easier to get changed in a room (my wife would have apprecited a mirror to sort her hair for example!).

Arrived back in the evening and checked in fine, found the rest of the hotel to be needing a decent clean, a lot of cobwebs when walking down the corridors, including over our door. The room was nice enough, very big bed but the bathroom had only been passably cleaned. The room during the night was vey hot and the handle on the window was broken so we could only open it a small amount without it shutting again.

Breakfast in the morning was nice enough and fairly standard for a hotel breakfast, although it should also be noted that the staff for breakfast were very friendly and helpful.

Overall it was what we needed for a night's sleep but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your review and I am very sorry that we were nothing other than average during your stay.

From your account of events, there was clearly an issue with your check in and this was not well handled by us. Whilst there can sometimes be difficulties with guests arriving before previous ones have checked out, we have many alternatives here, including our leisure club, which has all the facilities you would have needed. Understandably your whole impression of the rest of your stay was then tainted and influenced by this experience, since many of the negatives you pointed out, are consistently noted as positives by so many guests, particularly cleanliness and recently our new breakfast standard.

Best wishes and thank you,

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed for one night on a Dinner, B&B and afternoon tea offer. Asked for Manor room as recomended on trip advisor! Room 68, small double, only 1 chair!, tired bathroom with very slow refill in tank. Awful view of pipes and flooded roof top. Went down for afternoon tea, good job we wern't hungry! 4 triangles of various filled sandwiches, 2 shop brought scones, jam and "cream" ( not clotted, as stated! ) 1 egg custard ( 20p from tesco? ) and a cheap muffin, plus tea and weak latte ( asked for strong cappachino) If I had payed £10 each for that, I would have sent it back! Thankfully dinner that evening was wonderful, great service and lovely food, loveingly made and served. The pool was big enough to have a good swim, nice steam room and hot tub. Breakfast was as good, if not better than dinner, best breakfast in ages, so much choice, well done. Flaged up problems with reception and filled in room review. not sure if I would try Menzies in future, they will have to spend some money updating rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting a review of your stay.

Your impression of the bedroom pehaps perfectly highlights the subjective nature of these matters, since you chose this from advice given by previous reviewers. The original part of our manor house enjoys more character, but the rooms come in all different shapes and sizes. They all have the same facilities as each other but to ensure that they're comfortable we match these to the actual size of the room.

I was very pleased that you rated the quality of the food so highly, although your description of our afternoon tea sounded extremely poor. Thankfully this was in stark comparison to both dinner and breakfast. My response to the previous reviewer shows exactly the challenge we face in delivering consistency at all times.

Thank you once again and I do hope that you'll return to Stourport Manor.

Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We arranged to meet relations for an overnight stay at Stourport Manor and managed to get a fantastic package price (Room, Afternoon Tea, Dinner and Breakfast) As any one would probably guess that our expectations were not high. We could have NOT been more wrong.

The reception we received was very warm, professional and welcoming. Our room wad large, clean and very comfortable. Tea was served in the bar area and could not be faulted. Dinner (£25.00 allowance - more than adequate - per head on the package) was very, very good indeed and that comes from relatively selective eaters and lastly the breakfast served the next morning was one of the best we have had for a long time. I hope the hotel reads this review with pride and not change the winning formula they have.

Room Tip: We booked two rooms and they were equal in quality
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Keith F
Thanks for a great review and I was so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Stourport Manor.

The winning formula is to concentrate on ensuring that the staff enjoy their work and deliver hospitality with personality; and to provide good value for money with food, which is well prepared, presented and always ensures a broad variety of choice. This might sound simple but everyone's expectation varies and delivering this consistently, not only every day of the year but also through every staff member makes it the challenge we face.

I am delighted that we hit the mark for you and I hope you'll come back again soon!

Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently stayed for 2 nights on business in nearby Bewdley. This hotel is very convenient, as it's only a 15 minute drive to the other town, and is conveniently placed for exploring the area which is nice. The staff are all really nice and helpful. However, I'm not impressed by the food - on the first night I had homemade tomato and basil soup which was ok. I followed this by some panfried pollock in a prawn sauce with 'gourmet' chips. The fish was dry and overcooked, the chips were not properly cooked (most veg need to have a slight bite; potatoes however should be soft all the way through, chef!) and basically inedible, and the sauce was so salty I couldn't quite believe it. Pudding was ok. The following night I decided to eat in the bar so ordered a chicken burger with frites (wasn't going to try the 'gourmet' chips again). It came with a massive chicken breast just stuck between two halves of a bun. The breast hadn't been sliced up or anything. This is not the sort of standard of food you expect in a four-star hotel. Breakfast on the other hand was very good indeed. My room was fine, although the bedroom door lock did not work, so I wedged a chair up against the door each night. As in many hotels, there is a plastic membrane over the mattress for protection. However, with just a sheet on top, it means you are hot all night and I did not get a proper night's sleep on either night as I kept waking up too hot (there was no heating on at night so it wasn't due to that)! The pillows are also like concrete blocks (take your own if possible). I mentioned all of this when checking out and was told that my complaints had been heard before and were not that unusual. Come on management - if you know there is a problem, then why not deal with it? The bedding needs something like a padded mattress cover over the plastic but under the sheet to dissipate body heat at night. And change your source for your pillows! Other reviewers seem to have had a better time than me or their expectations are lower. However, most of them seem to have been staying on a 'deal' which I wasn't - I paid full price. I would stay again, but not if I found somewhere better in the vicinity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and, as we constantly look to make improvements, we'll never be "as good as [we] could be" but need to ensure that we reach a particular level to meet our guests' expectations. Your comments about the mattress protectors have not been made before, to my knowledge and, whilst the protector necessarily has a non-porous membrane on the underside, the top is a fabric finish. Our new beds in the hotel are in fact a great example of our company taking on board our guests' comments and making appropriate changes to satisfy these criticisms. This investment was significant but the result has been extremely positive. We are currently undertaking the same exercise with regard to pillows, as part of a new strategy, set out by our board of Directors.

Food will always bring out positives and negatives. From your descriptions, I was most disappointed because our normal presentation, flair and attention to detail were clearly lacking. For this, please accept my sincere apologies. Your comments show that you were looking for a good overall standard and not only should this be the minimum we expect, we should have provided this for you too.

I do hope that you'll be back in the area again soon and choose to stay with us again. I would be really pleased if you returned.

Farnham
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I met up with my sister and brother-in-law on the 16th September for a three night stay. The hotel and grounds were lovely, there was lots of places to sit and have a coffee etc- cosy sofa's and chairs to lounge in!!. We had a premium bedroom which was huge and very comfortable and every thing was spotlessly clean. All the staff we met were excellent and very attentive to all our needs. The Spa looked very inviting but because the weather was kind to us we didn't use the facilities and went out and about.
The food was very good but a couple of mistakes were made, however the head waiter resolved the issue for us. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SunshineFarnham
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I'd like to think that your headline really captures what we aim to achieve at Stourport Manor. I wouldn't pretend that we get it right all of the time but the fact that even when you experienced a couple of mistakes, they were effectively put right for you is very heartening to me. Of course, our aim has to be not to make mistakes at all!!!

I hope that we can now count you among the many, who visit us regularly and so we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport on Severn
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bewdley

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!