“Great value travelzoo offer”

Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great value travelzoo offer”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last night on a Travelzoo offer. For this we had afternoon tea, dinner, breakfast and use of the facilities. The room was great-clean and well equipped. The bed was large and really comfortable - had a great nights sleep. Food was fine -I wouldn't bother if it wasn't offered as part of a deal as its expensive for what you get! Could offer a better selection of fruit at breakfast. There was a lot of noise from a function in the next room during dinner which was a bit annoying. Room was quiet during the evening although you can hear people moving about in the mornings and doors slamming etc. used the gym; good range f facilities and not overly used. Overall had a great time. Would never pay the room only price offered though! Would return on a similar travelzoo offer. Staff helpful and friendly.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMStourportManor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thanks for your review and the TravelZoo offer has again proved to be a success. I am very grateful for your kind comments about the standards, quality, service and hospitality of the hotel. We regularly put offers out to our previous guests and so I hope you'll be tempted back on another occasion, so that you can continue to explore this beautiful part of England.

Many thanks once again and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

Patrick Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Alto, Michigan, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

In 2001 I had the opportunity to spend 3 nights at your wonderful manor. While I'm certain that much has changed since my stay I imagine the manor itself retains all the charm and beauty that I fondly recall. As an American with few opportunities to visit the U.K. it was a wonderful introduction to the Birmingham area. I cannot fully express how appreciative I was of the friendly staff, the wonderful food, and the cleanliness and charm of my room. I recall the assistance of the manager in helping my associate & I arrange for a day trip by train to London and the extra care he took in making sure I understood the travel arrangements and the advice to see the most of London in a single day. I plan to return as soon as my college age daughters leave the roost!
Thanks to the staff for making my stay so comfortable.
Brian Hoff
Grand Rapids, MI USA

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for posting a review and what a wonderful tribute to the staff here, that 11 years later we can still deliver that friendly, personal and genuine hospitality you enjoyed in 2001. I know that there are a number of staff, who would have been here for both of your visits.

Much has changed in the hospitality industry and to some extent, the greater amount of automation and technology introduced has presented a bigger challenge in holding onto the core need of looking after people. Some organisations have become very anonymous and distant, so it's great that you were able to recognise the friendly and welcoming nature of Stourport Manor. We must preserve it.

We look forward to welcoming you back but hopefully in less than another 11 years!!

Best wishes

north wales
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Firstly I have to say that I often read the reviews of other pet owners and think goodness me, what do people expect? As a pet owner in a hotel, I appreciate there will be rules regarding my pets stay to protect other guests with allergies etc., however I've no great desire to take my dogs on hols with me, it's so limiting, but she has seperation anxiety and frankly the resultant eczematous response of being seperated from us not only costs a fortune at the vet but she's also starting to tear chunks out of her feet. So she has to come too and we try to make the best of a bad situation! This said when we checked in and I enquired where we were allowed in the hotel with the dog the answer astounded me - "the reception area, the corridor which led to the room and the room itself".

I have to say I have never had such a bleak response, normally its either the bar or the residents longue and the hotel in general but not areas where people are eating and therefore until we'd stayed at this hotel I didn't really know what limiting was!! As the weather was hot, we couldn't pop her into the car for pre dinner cocktails or just nip to the bar for a drink before lunch, until on the second day my husband rebelled and said we'll leave her in the room, no-one has said we can't. I'm a real conformist and it took a lot of persuading for me to agree that we couldn't continue as we were, and resolving to have to either suffer the humiliation of her barking insanely at finding herself in solitary confinement or digging at the door to try to escape to find us it was with great trepidation that I agreed to go to the bar for a pre lunch drink. The only good thing about our stay here was we found that she was fine in the hotel room on her own. But as you can imagine this was not a relaxing long weekend and I will always make doubly sure that dogs are allowed reasonable access anywhere I stay in future, and the food here is poor, the service mediocre at best and the place is dirty, there was nothing about this hotel which would call me back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vicky t
Thank you for your review and for giving me the opportunity to respond to your concerns. Your opening statement is well made, that some people's expectations are set so high they can never be met. However it is our job to do our best.

Our company sets its policies/guidelines in order to ensure that the vast majority of our guests have an enjoyable experience. They are not there to disappoint, antagonise, irritate or be deliberately difficult. We welcome a large number of pet owners, who tend to bring small dogs and hitherto I have had no negative comments about access. A pet owner intimately knows his/her animal, whereas others do not, including us and this can often be forgotten. It means that if we were to mix guests, who are relaxing or eating in our lounges, bars and restaurant with those who are supervising a pet, we would create more disharmony and upset.

I am fully sympathetic with your predicament of managing your pet with separation anxiety and the need to get away on a short break. With hindsight, the very public nature of a hotel clearly brought stressful difficulties, which may not have manifested themselves in, say, a self catering arrangement, where there would have been a greater degree of privacy and personal space. Equally, such a restrictive condition might have been better handled in advance rather than having to address it at the time of check-in. You could have made a more informed decision.

I appreciate that you will not share my opinions and that you were clearly angry and disappointed with your visit here. We continue to learn through such situations and, as we aim to welcome everyone, it is our service and hospitality, which will determine our long term success.

canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here for two nights,very comfortable and quite,stayed Sunday and monday nights,we avoid staying on a Saturday night due to weddings and noisey functions.

Overall the room was good,but abit more care to cleaning ,[cobwebs,under toilet seat and hairs in plug hole]other then that we had a good stay.Food was good ,and breakfast was excellent,[good choice ].Service was good,and staff pleasent.

We would come here again.The coach party that was there as well were nice and quite,so overall it was a pleasent break.

Thank you ,and congradulations to training managment.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor room overlooking car park
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for writing a review and so glad that you had a good time with us. I've passed your kind comments on to the chefs and we're all pleased that you found the service good. There's obviously a bit more attention to detail required, which we will address.

Hopefully we'll see you again soon

Best wishes

Bedford
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel on a Travelzoo deal (£89 dinner bed breakfast and afternoon tea - great value).

Every member of staff was very pleasant and helpful. Because my husband has slight mobility issues, we were transferred from the 1st floor to a specially adapted mobility room with wet room without any fuss (there is no lift at the hotel).

The dinner was good, plenty of choice. There is a leisure centre with a pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna which we used. Towels were supplied - nice large ones,

The towels in the bathroom were also a good size.

The room was excellent. A very comfy bed and a large flat screen TV,

The hotel is well positioned to explore the area. We hope there will be another Travelzoo offer and we would be very happy to visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Stourport Manor and thanks too for such a glowing reference. The TravelZoo offer we posted produced some amazing feedback and its popularity astounded me. I hope that by doing a good job, providing a level of service and quality which was better than expected, we can look forward to welcoming you and many others back to Stourport Manor on a regular basis.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Arrived with a coach party of 24 on a visit to Ludlow and Stourport. The hotel is very inviting and we were welcomed by a member of staff on our coach. Our baggage was delivered to our room and we were given a welcome tea/coffee and cake whilst we filled in our details.

Due to a mismatch offset between the pre printed room allocation sheet by the local printer we were allocated the wrong room, but it was soon sorted out. The room was very comfortable and well supplied with tea/coffee etc. The bathroom was very modern but we were surprised that there was no heating in it or even a heated towel rail. it was also spoiled by having less than clean grouting on the bath tiles and even a lump of hair sticking to the wall by the shower head.

The staff were polite, welcoming and obliging and the food was very good, although my partner thought the green beans were rather too raw.

We did not go to breakfast until about 8.15 (it starts at 7.00) and the food was lukewarm with cold plates. If you want a hot breakfast go early, confirmed by an early riser couple.

All in all a fairly pleasant place to stay and we would return..

Room Tip: A quiet hotel well off the road, but go to breakfast early.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for writing a review and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Stourport Manor, even if we need to raise our game slightly to achieve that extra half-star! We undertook a major amount of refurbishment in 2009 and I am currently working with various suppliers to make improvements to our bathrooms. There's a prototype being produced shortly and then I hope to roll this out during 2013, which will restore total quality across the whole hotel.

But again it's the staff who make our guests' stay memorable and I'm glad that you found everyone polite, welcoming and obliging.

We look forward to welcoming you again,

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent three night at Stourport Manor, booking in first class and the room on the ground floor was quiet and clean, nicew view.
On the first morning I asked for a ham and egg omllette only to be told they did not have any ham. No ham in a four star hotel!!
I will report on each of my evening meals.
Day 1 - three course took one hour and fifty minutes, no apologioes for delay. Mixed grill without mushrooms as stated. The wild mushrooms and cashew no signs of mushrooms.
Day 2 Don't ask for lamb well done, you will get a burnt cinder.
Day 3 MY husband liked the look of the wild mushrooms and cashew nuts, today no sign of cashew nuts! Main course pork - had to ask for a steak knife to cut it. Having had the Eton Mess on other evenming thought we would play safe abd have it again, it came half a glass full made a coment to the waitress but nothing done about it, also said we were very disapointed with the meal when we left, again no comment.
I liked the position and ground of the hotel but I would recommend anybody to stay of a B & B basis.

Room Tip: ask for a room with aview
1 Thank diddydi-do
Thank you for your review and, after so many positive postings about Stourport Manor, it's disappointing to suffer from two poor reviews together. I am very sorry that the food seemed so variable during your stay and there were obvioulsy some operational difficulties.

Shortly after you posted your review, I met with my Sous Chef to find out some of the circumstances and facts behind what seemed to go wrong for you. Sometimes requests can become "lost in translation" but I would like to assure you and others that I have never known a time when we haven't had ham in this building. And of course, we should at all times, regardless of the star rating.

I do allow the chefs to stamp their own mark on the dishes we serve in the restaurant and it will not always be to everyone's taste. The method of production for the linguine with wild mushrooms and cashew nuts in a tomato and basil sauce should ensure that there is no danger of varying degrees of ingredients. The only time when this could vary is when multiple orders are received simultaneously and therefore a large amount is produced. However, there must always be at least some presence of each item so I am very sorry that this was not the case for you. It sounds like both your pork and lamb dishes were grossly overcooked too.

Our general expectations and levels of customer service normally ensure that we respond proactively to both positive and negative comments. We want everyone to enjoy themselves here and we all aim to do our best. It's sad that for you we failed to achieve this.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourport on Severn
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
#6 of 8 in Bromsgrove

Been to Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!