“ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!!”

Hogarths Stone Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We booked this hotel on Late Rooms as a last minute night away when looking for somewhere near to West Midlands Safari Park.
All I can say is WOW!
When we drove into the driveway of the hotel, we were stunned at how beautiful it was. We checked in and the staff were extremely friendly and professional, greeting our children with smiles too. We got asked if we would like to dine in the restaurant that evening , as we booked on a bed and breakfast basis, and we knew immediately that we didn't want to go anywhere else. The interior décor and furnishings were immaculate and in keeping with the character of the beautiful Tudor house.
We stayed in room 72 which was beautiful with stunning views of fields. The room was well decorated and very clean.
After checking in we decided to look around the hotel and grounds. There was a beautiful room with a big fireplace and a pool table to keep the children entertained. Outside the grounds were absolutely amazing. A huge lawned area to the rear, and my son was thrilled to see some goal posts so we could have a kick about with a ball. There was a tennis court and also an outdoor pool (which was closed, but we will be back in summer to take advantage of this). There were lots of different areas you could sit outside and enjoy the afternoon. We didn't feel the need to venture out into the local town, as we had all we needed right here.
After a lovely hot bath, we got ready for the evening meal.
We were greeted by very friendly restaurant staff, who made us feel very welcome. They made a fuss of the children, which is always lovely to see. We were extremely impressed by the menu and the children were offered to choose from the same menu or a childrens menu which at £8.95 for 3 courses was very reasonable. The menu was hard to choose from as it all sounded delicious. I had a mackerel starter which was lovely, followed by a duck confit, duck tart and vanilla mash (which I was intrigued by, and was surprisingly delicious). My husband had a wood pigeon starter and a lamb shank main, followed by cheesecake. The food was outstanding, the presentation was masterchef quality, and totally delicious, and at £25.95 for 3 courses, was well worth the money.
When we finished the meal, we went into the bar area where a man played a baby grand piano, which was lovely to finish off the evening. The children were fascinated by him.
After a lovely comfortable nights sleep, we had breakfast which was buffet style. I was a little disappointed to hear it was buffet, as normally this compromises quality, however, this was not the case here. By far the best buffet breakfast I have ever had. The scrambled eggs were perfect (not like the rubbery versions Ive experienced many times before at other places).
Upon checkout, the lady behind reception was very friendly, especially with the kids and very helpful. we even managed to buy discount tickets at reception for the safari park.
We all really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Its a gem! We cant wait to come back again :)

Room Tip: Room 72 has lovely views of roaming fields
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

WOW!!!! Where do I start responding to such a lovely and detailed review following your stay? I can only really say a massive THANK YOU from myself and the team and we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay so much with us. As you know we are often busy with Weddings, Events etc... but families also love to stay here, due to the facilities, the service and of course the perfect location to visit the many attractions in the area.

Thank you again we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The hotel is situated in very nice grounds and has a number of very pleasant rooms /lounges with a lot of charm. The same can be said about the bedrooms, if somewhat old fashioned. Very comfortable all in all.

Three important things, though:

We booked via a well know Internet site and had not realised breakfast was not included. We found that paying and additional 15 pounds per person for English breakfast was a bit steep.

There was a wedding that night in the hotel with a lot of noise coming from heated discussions in the car park.

Finally, and probably the worst for a hotel which wants to be top notch, showers are antiquated, nearly impossible to regulate . All we could get was a trickle of lukewarm water. Hence our low mark for bedrooms.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the car park, especially if there is a wedding.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review and for your detailed feedback. I can only apologise for the noise you experienced and for also the problem with the shower regulating in heat. As you are aware the Stone Manor Hotel was not build as a hotel, hence in some of the rooms there have been problems in the past, but we always do everything we can to resolve either by coming to the rooms or moving our guests should this happen. Which I am being honest has done in the past.

I do hope you spoke to the Duty Manager at the time and they addressed the issues you have kindly raised on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Someone else has suffered the "afternoon tea experience" here and was disappointed. I was not particularly disappointed because my host bought us a bottle of pink champagne to enjoy with the tea and I was very happy with that and I was also in very pleasant company. However, the afternoon tea did not come up to scratch. There was only one vegetarian sandwich on the plate and that was cheese and pickle. It tasted like the sort of cheese and pickle sandwich that I would make for work or a utilitrian picnic. The scones were huge and looked unappealing as did the slabs of something or other which turned out to be Maderia cake.

Stone Manor is not very far from where I live. In my experience the place promises more than it has ever delivered. I do not go out of my way to go there. However, I have read reviews from lots of people who have had good experiences there. I suggest that anyone who reads this review goes to Stone Manor and makes up their own mind as to whether to go again but at all costs avoid afternoon tea.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hilary P

Thank you for your recent review regarding your Afternoon Tea Experience with us. I can only apologise for this and hope you brought the issues to the Duty manager in charge on the day. As you know we are a popular hotel for many reasons, including Afternoon tea, but on this ocassion we did not meet your expectations and again can only apologise and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous 3 night stay at the Stone Manor Hotel (booked with great little breaks). We had room 25 - four poster room. What a lovely room this was, great views of the garden,very warm which we needed due to the snow! Bathroom was also very good. The restaurant food was great - staff very helpful and attentive. My only gripe was there was only limited choice on the set menu - I think if they changed the menu every few days this would have been better, this is not a complaint - excellant food! breakfast was just as good. We also got discount tickets for Cadbury World from the hotel which was good. The grounds were lovely, especially with the snow on the ground. would we recommed this hotel - YES. In a lovely location, ideal for exploring around the area, very close to the steam railway and cadbury world, safari park.

Room Tip: Get a garden view room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for you review and we are so pleased you found your stay relaxing. I will of course feedback to the team, as I take on board when you stay for a few nights, a variety of choice is always better when dining with us every night and what you would expect.
I do hope the points you mention will not prevent you from returning to Stone Manor in the future

Best Wishes

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We have visited this hotel on a number of occasions with family members. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel oozes atmosphere and charm. There are some lovely, cosy places to sit by large open fires! The food and service in the restaurant is beautiful, as is the plentiful breakfast.
We have also enjoyed the evening entertainment provided by their resident pianist who will try his best to please !
The rooms vary - we have had rooms in all parts of the hotel and have included photos of the room we had during our latest stay. I think it was Rm 4. Though some parts of the room now need some tlc there is nothing that would put me off staying there again and am sure we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade room in the old part of the house - these are really special
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review and for such concise points and details. As you know we welcome all feedback especially in this Industry so we can learn and move forward. Our Rooms do vary due to the nature of the building as you can imagine, we were originally a family home and have grown over the years with additional area's being added.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Visited last Friday as a treat with a friend. £11.00 per head for full afternoon tea.
A lovely old hotel with comfy sofas and lovely seating areas.
A white crisp tablecloth was laid on our coffee table, small pot of tea (luke warm), one uninspiring plate of 6 sandwich fingers (which we cut into halves again). And as for the cakes, well on a small white teaplate (no fancy cake stands here) were two small burnt scones (I could not eat mine), a slice each of shop bought maderia cake and two large pots with jam and clotted cream to smother the dry boring cakes with!
Staff never asked if everything was OK. We had to ask for a second plate and knife for the cakes.
Upon paying I expressed our disappointment and asked for a Manager to be told that no one was available. I left my telephone number and also emailed them twice upon my return home. They have still not responded to my email.
We are local residents and had we travelled far to this hotel we would have been even more disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank banjo22
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Good Morning, Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your Afternoon Tea last Friday. I can only apologise for the delay but we have made contact with yourself directly.
Due to rota's in this Industry we are not always in the early part of the week, as we work Weekends, hence the delay in replying which I hope you have now recieved

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We booked a family get together lunch here and it was the worst that this hotel has ever been! Despite having booked a table for 12.30pm, when we arrived there was no-one on reception and no-one serving in the bar. Eventually, a waiter emerged from the kitchen and just when we thought we might finally get a drink after almost 10 minutes, he told us to "wait a minute I`m serving someone" and then took ages to pour one glass of wine and return to serve us at the bar. There isn`t usually anyone on the bar when we arrive (always a bit of a sore point as it`s not very welcoming) but the service was exceptionally slow on this particular day.

Probably the biggest complaints about the whole experience are as follows:

1. Restaurant staff not very friendly and quite abrupt.
2. Although there were only 2 other tables seated in the restaurant at the same time as us, everything was dished up and the table cleared so quickly it felt as if the staff were trying to get us served and out as quickly as possible.
3. The food was below average. My starter was lukeward and the main tasteless and uninspiring.
4. Restaurant staff not very attentive - swe spent more time trying to get someone`s attention to order more dinks than anything else. Not really good enough, I feel, especially when the restaurant was so quiet.
5. The table linen looked like it could have done with a good clean.
6. The restaurant decor is very tired and dated - it could do with a good freshen up.

I won`t moan on about this place, but I can now understand why it was so dead on a Saturday lunchtime, and especially since Brockencote Hall is close by and way better than Stone Manor.

Unfortunately what this place delivered on initial impressions (yes, it does look good as you pull up outside) it was a huge let-down in every other aspect.

They may offer cheap meals, but you would really be better of at a local pub for the money and quality of food. Avoid!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PDhappytravellers
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Good Morning,
Thank you for your review and feedback following you visiting us for Lunch. First of all can I apologise, for the experience you had from the Food to the Service...
So I can look into this further, Did you speak with the Duty Manager on the Day? and also have put in writing to us, so we can speak with the relevant departments and find out why this happen.

As you will read Trip Advisor has many reviews with the Majority being excellent, so I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hestitate to contact us, but rest assured I will looking into this with the relevant Managers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
3 mi away
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
Stanbrook Abbey Hotel
Stanbrook Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Callow End

Been to Hogarths Stone Manor? Share your experiences!