“Not my cup of tea”

Hogarths Stone Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed December 20, 2012

i stayed at this hotel on sunday evening for work the next day in Kidderminster - there aren't very many hotels but this looks better on the outside than it is on the inside. It certainly isnt the worst place i've ever stayed but I wouldn't choose to stay there again - the choice of food seemed crazy to me - there was not option but to have the set menu - i would have prefered something more simple - or a rioast dinner that the staff told me was served until 4pm on Sunday. My room was dated. Simply this hotel is not my cup of tea but there is nothing really wrong with it

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Happy New Year!!! My apologises in delaying in responding to your review following your stay as a Corporate visitor.
As you will have read from other reviews, we welcome all feedback and try everything to address any issues that arise, and as you mention the menu choice, we have varied menu options from the A La Carte to the Set TDH menu, but following extensive research we are looking at introducing a more "Gastro Pub" feel menu, which many of our Corporate guests have expressed an interest in.... Something a little more simple, Traditional Dishes and Chef and his team are currently working on this following the crazy, busy season of Christmas

I do hope you choose to return to stay with us in the future when visiting the area

Best Wishes

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We only live down the road so never stay at the hotel (apart from when we stayed on our wedding night 9-years ago!) but we like to eat in the restaurant so we can enjoy sitting in the bar/lounge before and after the meal which you can't do at your average high st restaurant. We ate there last night (1st Dec), we always start with a drink in the bar, relaxing in one of the many comfortable sofas whilst perusing the menu, it was a pleasant surprise to hear the pianist who was playing his way through a selection of Christmas numbers, we were then called to the restaurant to be served our starters. All the food we ate was excellent as usual and service was excellent too. We then retired to the lounge and sat by the fire to finish with coffee before heading off home. We think its good value and all in all we've never been disappointed yet. Didn't get 5 stars purely because the choice of desserts was a little limited and none of our favourites, but I guess thats personal preference!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Happy New Year!!!! I hope you had a lovely christmas and new year

Thank you so much for your restaurant review on Trip advisor. This is something I am keen to encourage as we get so much feedback from regular and new guests who come here to Dine only, but very rarely put comments on here.

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your meal and felt it was values for money.
I am sorry there was not enough choice of dessert on this evening, but as you say personal choice. If you are a Pudding lover, I wondered if you knew we did a Pudding Evening on the second Friday of each month, where you have a light main course and a choice of atleast 6 puddings for only £19.95...with the next Valentines themed on Friday 15th.

Not trying to sell this to you, just thought it maybe something for this year to try.

Thanks you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at Stone Manor two separate nights in November, 2012, a Sunday and a Wednesday. The exterior is a well-kept Tudor style, very impressive when driving up. The public areas were very warm and welcoming, with a nice small reception desk. They have a very nice lounge and bar area with lots of couches and upholstered chairs arranged in seating groups. A lot of people can be in this area and you would not feel crowded. A large fireplace adds to the ambiance. The restaurant layout is also fine.

When you get to the rooms, they are clean but definitely worn and dated. The furniture is in a style in keeping with the hotel’s architecture but is old (70-80’s?) and shows considerable wear. The chairs were in good shape, but dingy with some staining. The dresser (?) was low, 2 drawers high, and had the front of one cut out to store the coffee and tea things and in need of a new coat of paint (it’s third or fourth?). A small TV sat on top of it with a very short cable so you could not position it well. The rugs are a bit dingy and in Room 19, have holes worn through by the threshold to the bath. The toilets have a very anemic flushing mechanism that I thought was peculiar to the first room I was in but was the same in the room during my second stay. The tub/shower was OK, but just barely. The mattresses in both rooms could use updating.

I had breakfast on both of my stays. The breakfast for the most part was good. The cold buffet had fresh fruit, juice, cold sliced salami and copacola, cheese and cereal. The cooked breakfast was OK except for the poached eggs on my second visit. I requested them with runny yokes but they came out as two hard marbles with just a very small bit of the egg white. I was having a business breakfast so did not want to make a fuss.

I have stayed in many B&B’s, pubs and small hotels in the UK over the years and so I am accustomed to the type of furnishing and rooms I experienced at Stone Manor. Overall, they were on par with what I have experienced in many other similar establishments. The price was just a bit higher than some of the others so I only rate the value as average.

I do have two complaints on overall management. First, when having breakfast at 7:15 AM Monday morning, the cleaning staff started vacuuming the rugs in the reception area which is directly outside the dining area. A vacuum cleaner howling away while trying to have breakfast does not provide a good start to a busy day.

My second complaint will keep me from returning. On my reservation through Booking.com for both nights, breakfast was listed as £7.50 additional. On my first stay I had breakfast and I requested they add the breakfast, which they did. No problem. On my second stay I invited two business associated for a breakfast meeting. I was told “no problem, we’ll just add their meal to your bill at checkout”. Upon checkout all of the breakfasts were charged at the regular price of £15.00 including mine. When I brought this to the attention of the desk clerk I asked why my breakfast (not my guests, I expected to pay full fare for them) was not at the same rate as on my previous stay and as stated on my confirmation from Booking .com. She said they had different rates for different days. I was in a hurry to get to my next meeting and did not have time to argue over £8.00. Leave it to say, I understand room rates changing based on the day of the week or season, but do not believe the set price of a meal changes daily.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank IdahoTraveler83815
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Happy New Year!!!!

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us, which you have explained in lengths many issues you felt needed bringing to our attention for which I thank you.
As the hotel is undergoing a Soft reburbishment I can only apologise you stayed in one of the older Bedrooms, that has not been started yet. Having only 57 we cannot do them all at once, which I am sure you can appreiciate is very difficult

The first main issue regarding our housekeeping and hoovering. As they already start at 5.30am this is the only time that this area can be cleaned due to sleeping guests and then the hotel gets busy in the public areas, but we will of course speak to our House keeping manager to see if there is anyway around this.
The price of breakfast as you say is cheaper brought in advance and for any future visits if you let us know prior we will honour the advance purchase rate you paid and not the standard price as a gesture of goodwill that other guests who just come to eat breakfast pay.

I hope this over view of your feedback address's the issues raised, but as with anything if you want to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me direct

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had a lovely night here, though as others have said had not been warned about the wedding and also were allocated a room over the wedding party, not bother though, spent a lovely evening in the bar, listening to the pianist and enjoying a very good meal. Stayed on a DBB offer which was great value for money.
Style is traditional, some may call old fashioned, but suits the property very well, and is very comfortable and high quality.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for your review following your Weekend Stay.. We are as you say a very Traditional Hotel which is becoming very rare now adays I think you will agree, so whilst we always try and keep up to date with things like Social Media, Our Packages, Rates etc... Maintaining the Traditional Decor, Key Dishes such as Flambes which have been on the Menu for many years is what makes us so unique and able to keep the loyal guests and visitors we have for some years now...
Thank you again and we will hopefully see you again very soon

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stone manor is one of those country hotels that hasn't changed in the last 20 years. Duvets have reached this part of the hotel world. The cost was very reasonable in contrast food was more expensive and the restaurant and maitre d'e has illusions of grandeur and a different age, although does have a quaint effect. Could be described as a homely old fashioned comfortable hotel or something that was at it's peak in the 70s and has maintained that charm. Staff friendly enough. Still would go back which says something

Stayed: October 2012
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. I am glad you feel we offer value for money as we are a Traditional hotel with many elements that have been retained over the years as this is what makes us unique to our competitors. Offering a traditional service in our Restaurant is what makes "Fields " so succesful. Having Flambe, Sweet trolley, Sunday Lunch Carved at the table is one of our many USP, that is not to everyone taste, but having been a hotel for many many years now, changing elements like this would only be detremental to our business and our regular guests who have dined with us, bringing many generations of Familes to Stone Manor on a Weekly and even Daily basis. I do hope you choose to return and stay with us again, as i am sure you are aware with Many new Modern Hotel chains popping up around the UK, properties like Stone Manor with such Family Traditional Values is becoming very rare.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Whilst Stone Manor is a very attractive hotel with character,we unfortunately chose it for a quiet weekend away without being warned that it hosted wedding events ; we were given a very nice executive room, but located immediately above a function room and having retired to bed at 10.00pm we were subjected to bone jarring disco music until well after midnight,followed by happy wedding guests noisily trooping past our door until well after 1.00am.Having endured a terrible night and naturally made a complaint,the manager advised that his reception staff should not have allocated this room to us in the first place, and deducted £20 each from our bill in recompense.Having spent £300+ overall on a weekend break that turned into a nightmare,we will not be darkening the doors of Stone Manor again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
James R, General Manager at Hogarths Stone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for you recent review following your stay with us. I can only apologise and very sorry you feel you will never return. I am aware of this feedback prior to reading on here and I understood my Deputy Manager, as per your comments did everything he could to compensate you. I will also find out who allocated your bedroom, which as always we try to ensure guests who are not at the weddings are above the main room, for which again I can only apologise for the experience who have had.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Gorgeous food, lovely setting, brilliant service - nothing was too much trouble, friendly & helpful staff. I would recommend this hotel for any special occasion :-) just fabulous. 2 night break with family to celebrate 50th birthday, although there was a wedding also underway this weekend the hotel is more than capable of catering for multiple events whilst making sure that neither party was intrusive to the other. A good homely and comfortable feel to the whole weekend stay, we cannot thank the staff enough.

Room Tip: All types of rooms available, 4 poster bed and jacuzzi was lovely and our party of 19 with a differe...